Sep 24 2012
By: mrowland1 First Son 14 posts

What is Sony doing about the 4.25 update issue?

20 replies 885 views Edited Sep 24, 2012

It has been 10 days since the thread went live on the board, and there are 29 pages of people having issues, not to mention all the other websites reporting the same thing (and who knows countless others who don't come to the website who still have the issue).

10 days, and nothing from Sony. 10 days of our systems being turned into boat anchors.

10 days Sony!

What are you doing?

Message 1 of 21 (885 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: What is Sony doing about the 4.25 update issue?

Sep 24, 2012

Apparently not a **bleep** thing.  They crashed them, so they could sell more of the new improved PS3.  Isn't that obvious?

Message 2 of 21 (880 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2607 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Most of the issues I've seen involve being downloading that BS 4.23 Jailbreak Firmware. Since it's their own faults and not Sony they don't have to do anything.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 3 of 21 (875 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Actually most of the issues including mine have no mention or previous use of 4.23.

Message 4 of 21 (855 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17586 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Sony has been collecting feedback from PS3 owners in the PSN support forum, in a thread that is permanently at the top.  That is very unusual.  Sony rarely solicits input or participates in any direct way in the forums.  I've read the thread, and there isn't any obvious pattern to the complaints, claims, and questions.  Some the posts in the thread are not related to 4.25 issues, and some are related to 4.23. Many are not.  People have posted a number of issues, but all of them are things that are working just fine on millions of other PS3s running the same update.  If the code is broken, why are only a small percentage of PS3s affected?  Why are there so many different issues, that don't overlap? How does the System software break a small fraction of PS3s in half a dozen different unrelated ways?  It would be extremely difficult to write a piece of software that did that on purpose, never mind by accident.

The fact is that every single time Sony releases a System update, some people claim that it broke their PS3s.  In most cases no correcting update is ever released, because the claims are never substantiated (the last one was 4.10-4.11, and that only fixed a couple of the many issues that were reported).  There is such a thing as coincidence.  A certain number of PS3s will fail on any given day, including the days when a System update is released.  Most people in this country were never taught how to distinguish between a cause and effect relationship, and a correlation; so they will naturally assume that if the failure happened after they installed the System update, then the System update caused the failure.  In reality, that isn't necessarily true.  It could just be a coincidence, and unless a particular problem happens often enough to cast doubt on the possibility that it is a coincidence, that is what Sony will generally assume.  It's not an easy problem to solve.  It isn't clear what defect in the System software could possibly cause so many different problems within a small population of PS3s, while causing no problems at all in the vast majority of PS3s.  No single problem seems to be common enough, even within the population of failed PS3s, to rule out coincidence.

GKP
Message 5 of 21 (840 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Sep 25, 2012
I haven't ever jail broken my ps3 & I'm having the problem.
Message 6 of 21 (823 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4075 posts

Sep 25, 2012

The moderators took the step to reduce the spaming.

Like they have been told off for not regulating it better.

Of course if you read the replys  its still mostly spam with very few even giving the info wanted in the first post...

Just more "Mines broke posts"

SCEE mods Allready create a topic for every firmware update you still get spam topic but its alot less work for them to moderate.

The EU training may have stuck with some of them...       

snapshot6.png

Message 7 of 21 (712 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Well I am confused.

I don't even pay attention to the number on the updates.  I believe the last time I was on when my system updated was eight days ago, but I didn't spy the number.  I've played since as recently as three days ago, and I haven't had any visible issues.  

What type of issues are people actually having?  

Moble

Message 8 of 21 (706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Sep 26, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

Sony has been collecting feedback from PS3 owners in the PSN support forum, in a thread that is permanently at the top.  That is very unusual.  Sony rarely solicits input or participates in any direct way in the forums.  I've read the thread, and there isn't any obvious pattern to the complaints, claims, and questions.  Some the posts in the thread are not related to 4.25 issues, and some are related to 4.23. Many are not.  People have posted a number of issues, but all of them are things that are working just fine on millions of other PS3s running the same update.  If the code is broken, why are only a small percentage of PS3s affected?  Why are there so many different issues, that don't overlap? How does the System software break a small fraction of PS3s in half a dozen different unrelated ways?  It would be extremely difficult to write a piece of software that did that on purpose, never mind by accident.

The fact is that every single time Sony releases a System update, some people claim that it broke their PS3s.  In most cases no correcting update is ever released, because the claims are never substantiated (the last one was 4.10-4.11, and that only fixed a couple of the many issues that were reported).  There is such a thing as coincidence.  A certain number of PS3s will fail on any given day, including the days when a System update is released.  Most people in this country were never taught how to distinguish between a cause and effect relationship, and a correlation; so they will naturally assume that if the failure happened after they installed the System update, then the System update caused the failure.  In reality, that isn't necessarily true.  It could just be a coincidence, and unless a particular problem happens often enough to cast doubt on the possibility that it is a coincidence, that is what Sony will generally assume.  It's not an easy problem to solve.  It isn't clear what defect in the System software could possibly cause so many different problems within a small population of PS3s, while causing no problems at all in the vast majority of PS3s.  No single problem seems to be common enough, even within the population of failed PS3s, to rule out coincidence.

So in your opinion, the estimated thousands of calls that Sony has received to their customer care, not to mention the fact that they made a post on this forum (as you indicated), is a mere coincidence? Systems around the world are unable to read discs, and this is a coincidence? I had a Sony rep call me back today and she confirmed that they are looking into the firmware issue and that there "might be a problem," but didn't say anything else except try to get me to pay $99 for service, or I could always buy a new PS3. Great!

Coincidence would pass if there were a few isolated instances. This is not isolated. How can one update cause so network connections to run so slowly and stop reading discs on so many different models?

The fact that customers had NO CHOICE but to accept this update makes it worse. We're talking lawsuits here. Unfortunately, nothing will probably be resolved any time soon, basically screwing the customer. I am not letting this go however. If Ford had to install a mandatory part on all Ford Explorers, and that mandatory part caused the engine to stop working on, say, 50% of the cars it was installed on, would you support Ford if they just threw their arms up in the air and told those customers to PAY for repairs or, worse yet, buy new cars? That is exactly what Sony is doing right now.

Message 9 of 21 (676 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Sep 26, 2012

I have several PS3 systems, all the older fat backwards compatible models. 2 updated fine and one lost the ability to sign in to my playsattion online. Needless to say after the one had issues I didn't update any more of them!

Message 10 of 21 (661 Views)
0 Likes