87 replies 1733 views Edited Jul 31, 2010
Message 1 of 88 (1,733 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Re: Update did not kill your console.

Jul 31, 2010

ne1atall wrote:

That's all.

I disagree. There's only so many times one can say "That's a coincidence". Look at this forums post history dates and the firmware update dates. The volume of these complaints increases exponentially with every firmware update. I'm sorry, but I can't say this is simply coincidence any longer.

Message 2 of 88 (1,733 Views)
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jul 31, 2010

I disagree as well.  There seems to be this school of thought a program update or install can't hurt a system.  That's not true in the least.  Ever install a program on your pc and it freeze up or turn to the blue screen of death?  Same thing.  It does and can happen.  So the only other option is that a multitude of people have come forth in the span of a few days just to complaining about coincidently similar issues?  And all after the update?  Very unlikely.

You can't tell me that my nine month old system (which was working fine minutes before the download) simply decided to cease up on me in mid install?  Sorry, not buying it.

Message 3 of 88 (1,733 Views)
MVP Support
23290 posts

Jul 31, 2010

RiggsMcClane wrote:

I disagree as well.  There seems to be this school of thought a program update or install can't hurt a system.  That's not true in the least.  Ever install a program on your pc and it freeze up or turn to the blue screen of death?  Same thing.  It does and can happen.  So the only other option is that a multitude of people have come forth in the span of a few days just to complaining about coincidently similar issues?  And all after the update?  Very unlikely.

You can't tell me that my nine month old system (which was working fine minutes before the download) simply decided to cease up on me in mid install?  Sorry, not buying it.

You're probably right Sony wants to give you a new system because the warranty was going to expire on that one in 3 months. You should be thanking them.

Message 4 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
23290 posts

Jul 31, 2010

PyrrhusRex wrote:

ne1atall wrote:
I didn't even think of that possibility.

Nobody *ever* expects Vanilla Ice. His chief weapon is surprise!

My sides hurt from laughing.

Message 5 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Jul 31, 2010

ne1atall wrote:

My sides hurt from laughing.

Then my work here is done.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Message 6 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Aug 1, 2010

RiggsMcClane wrote:

My PS3 is 4 years old or whatever how old the launch ones are and I've never had it break except from overheating from poor air circulation. Maybe the firmware has a 0.001% chance of failure. That would constitute the relatively small amount of threads about people's PS3s breaking. I actually have not experienced a BSOD from installing a program, or Ubuntu's equivalent. Sometimes it is coincedence.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Aug 1, 2010

RiggsMcClane wrote:

I have had a few PC's BSOD on me from improper installation or unsupported hardware. The difference is it happened instantly. About 90% of the FW claims happened hours or days, sometimes weeks after. If i install a porgram for mac on windows, i wont use it for a few hours then have it say "This program is not compatible with your OS" Most claims of FW breakage is BS from uneducated people.
So sorry, unless it restarted to a yellow light or black screen after the FW install, it wasnt the FW.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Message 8 of 88 (1,733 Views)
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Aug 1, 2010

watsuke wrote:

So sorry, unless it restarted to a yellow light or black screen after the FW install, it wasnt the FW.

Really?  So what about the many, many people that have installed an update then imediatley after their PS3 can no longer recognize a game disc?  No yellow light or black screen but still a door stop!  

I agree with the others here, there is no way all these issues immediately after a FW update can be a coincidence.

Was the fact that the 3.30 update caused freezing issues with Dragon Age a coincidence too?  The developer blames the update outright and they had to patch the game to work around it.  And Sony?  Remained silent just like they are with the problem with 3.41 that does not allow you to install a new HD.

Sony needs to be more transparent and own up to their mistakes.

This message made with 100% recycled pixels.
Message 9 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Aug 1, 2010

NeoX360 wrote:

Really?  So what about the many, many people that have installed an update then imediatley after their PS3 can no longer recognize a game disc?  

Was the fact that the 3.30 update caused freezing issues with Dragon Age a coincidence too?  The developer blames the update outright and they had to patch the game to work around it.

My point exactly. Anything that happens after an update is the FW, but only immedietly after. To say that it was the FW freezing the game after two days of normal play without freezing is not the FW. If you update and can play disc's then four hours later the drive stops working, its not the FW.

Like you and I both said, 90% of the claims of FW breakage are BS cause the system worked for a period of time after the update.

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Message 10 of 88 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes