Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
7 posts

Re: Update 3.60 With Cloud Saving!

Mar 11, 2011

just another nuisance "mandatory" update from Sony.  they must keep hundreds of folks working doing this crap, so I guess it is worth it. Gets to be a pain to have another "mandatory" update every damn time you start the PS3. IMHO

Message 21 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
529 posts

Mar 11, 2011

I don't call this update a nuisance because we got something that some ps3 owners can benefit from even though it's not exactly what I had in mind. It would be great if we got updates more frequently.

Message 22 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 12, 2011

Got home after work today. Thought I'd play a little NHL 11. Turn on the PS3 and to my suprise there is a system update and cant play my game. So I update my system, It downloads about 60% of it then all of a sudden I get this red screen with all these crazy languages. I try restarting and nothing, it keeps trying to install. I am so pissed!

Message 23 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 12, 2011

the nuisance is born from lack of choice - those that want an update such as this should dload it, everyone else should not have to.

Message 24 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4223 posts

Mar 12, 2011

gamekid2350 wrote:

I just tried out the cloud storage option and here is what I think sony did right and wrong

Right

1) Having the option. Sony gets credit for having the option available

Wrong

1) Way too little space. 150 MB might sound like a great idea, but not all game saves are in the KB range, some are in the MB range. Instead of 150MB, have 150 GB or 1000 GB.

2) You can only download saved game data from the storage once every 24 hours. Why is this? When we want to check our email, we just check it on a server. There is no wait time. There should not be a restriction on downloading storage data.

3) You can't archive game data, videos, episodes of Qore, or PSN games. Now I know that this is just the first day for cloud storage, but game data, episodes of Qore, and PSN games are what take up the most space, not save data.

It's great to see the online cloud storage, but things need to be added to it because it doesn't benefit me at all, but then again, I have lots of ps3 games, not everyone does.

that's available from the store at any time...there is no reason why to let ppl upload videos, game data and qore if you can just redownload them from your account...they just need to let ppl sort the download history to make it easier

Message 25 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 12, 2011

Heisem wrote:

gamekid2350 wrote:

I just tried out the cloud storage option and here is what I think sony did right and wrong

Right

1) Having the option. Sony gets credit for having the option available

Wrong

1) Way too little space. 150 MB might sound like a great idea, but not all game saves are in the KB range, some are in the MB range. Instead of 150MB, have 150 GB or 1000 GB.

2) You can only download saved game data from the storage once every 24 hours. Why is this? When we want to check our email, we just check it on a server. There is no wait time. There should not be a restriction on downloading storage data.

3) You can't archive game data, videos, episodes of Qore, or PSN games. Now I know that this is just the first day for cloud storage, but game data, episodes of Qore, and PSN games are what take up the most space, not save data.

It's great to see the online cloud storage, but things need to be added to it because it doesn't benefit me at all, but then again, I have lots of ps3 games, not everyone does.

that's available from the store at any time...there is no reason why to let ppl upload videos, game data and qore if you can just redownload them from your account...they just need to let ppl sort the download history to make it easier

You cannot redownload videos, but however that would be, it would definitely be ridiculous to let you upload your videos for backup, they may as well just let you re-download them. lol.

But yeah, you can easiliy re-install your disc based games, and you can easily re-download your PSN Games and everything else.  There's already that cloud storage of those.  At no additional charge, and no need for PSN Plus.

Message 26 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
529 posts

Mar 12, 2011

The idea that I have is to archive some things like what I talked about. Yes you can redownload game data, videos, episodes of Qore and PSN games, but all three of those take up a lot of disc space and I see no reason why Qore and game data should not have the option of ps plus. I archive my videos to an external hard drive, but what if you don't have an external hard drive and you want to archive your videos to cloud storage. Redownloading Qore and game data can be a real pain and I would rather get both of those through cloud storage, but that's just me.

Message 27 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 12, 2011

gamekid2350 wrote:

The idea that I have is to archive some things like what I talked about. Yes you can redownload game data, videos, episodes of Qore and PSN games, but all three of those take up a lot of disc space and I see no reason why Qore and game data should not have the option of ps plus. I archive my videos to an external hard drive, but what if you don't have an external hard drive and you want to archive your videos to cloud storage. Redownloading Qore and game data can be a real pain and I would rather get both of those through cloud storage, but that's just me.

There's no reason to archive PSN Games/Content because you can already re-download them.

There's no reason to archive Game Installs, because you can re-install them.

You'd rather upload them just so you can re-download them when you could just re-download without having to go through the upload process?

It would take a long time for most people to upload their videos to PSN Servers.  So for Sony to allow a slow upload of that, and then a re-download is ridiculous.  They may as well just authorize your PSN Videos to be downloaded more than once.  That would save on the uploading time.

And it's not feasible for Sony to cater to the few who may have super fast upload speeds.  I couldn't see Sony doing this even if they charge for the Cloud Storage service.

It makes sense to keep it just for gamesaves.

Message 28 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
529 posts

Mar 12, 2011

I may have forgotten to mention that my ideas are not designed to replace what can already be done. Case in point,

1) You can redownload PSN games/content from the store

yes you can, but the question is would you rather want to redownload PSN games/content from the store or from cloud storage?

Some may want the store, others may want the cloud, and others may want both. The point of having the cloud storage is if you don't want to go through the store to get your content.

2) You can redownload game installs later

Yes you can, but game installs can take a lot of disc space. Adding the cloud storage space would give us the option of freeing up disk space without losing anything. Everything time that you delete a game update or install, you wil have to redo if you decided later that you want to play the game. By having the cloud storage, you would have to download the updates and installs, but the process would be shorter because you wouldn't have to wait as long. If this makes sense.

Videos are not that big and proabably should be discarded from this point.

Bottom line is that I think that if we had the option to upload PSN games, qore, game updates and installs, it would add more value to being a ps+ member.

Message 29 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 12, 2011

gamekid2350 wrote:

I may have forgotten to mention that my ideas are not designed to replace what can already be done. Case in point,

1) You can redownload PSN games/content from the store

yes you can, but the question is would you rather want to redownload PSN games/content from the store or from cloud storage?

Some may want the store, others may want the cloud, and others may want both. The point of having the cloud storage is if you don't want to go through the store to get your content.

2) You can redownload game installs later

Yes you can, but game installs can take a lot of disc space. Adding the cloud storage space would give us the option of freeing up disk space without losing anything. Everything time that you delete a game update or install, you wil have to redo if you decided later that you want to play the game. By having the cloud storage, you would have to download the updates and installs, but the process would be shorter because you wouldn't have to wait as long. If this makes sense.

Videos are not that big and proabably should be discarded from this point.

Bottom line is that I think that if we had the option to upload PSN games, qore, game updates and installs, it would add more value to being a ps+ member.

No, it doesn't make sense.

There's no reason to want to choose between the Download List and this "cloud storage."  They are technically both cloud storage and it makes no sense to have to upload it to your cloud storage just so you can download it, when it's already stored in your Download List, where you can download whenever you want, without having to first upload it.

As far as game installs, why would you install a game, upload it to cloud storage, delete it from your system, only to re-download it from cloud storage, when it would go faster to re-install it from your disc.

Even with having to download updates, you're still going to have to spend the time downloading those updates, so there's no point to cloud storage for disc based games.

And since that will take you way beyond 150MB, there is no way Sony would have this as a free service.  They'd want you to pay for it, and they'd definitely have either high prices or still low storage space allotments.

Message 30 of 34 (2 Views)
0 Likes