Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 27 2012
By: OBond007 Monster Hunter 44 posts

URGENT help with my CECHE01 PS3

10 replies 331 views Edited Sep 27, 2012

i have a CECHE01 PS3 that i recently bought from a friend in New York. he already deleted all his stuff on it but i formatted the hard-drive anyway (using the utility in the PS3 that "formats the hard-drive and restores factory settings in one go"; i forgot what the name of that option in the "settings"-section in the XMB is. sorry) just in case. the hard-drive supposedly is 80GB but every single time i format it it says i just have 23GB available.

i talked to a friend of mine at Sony and he says that apparently my friend in New York, when he first got his PS3, had partitioned part of the hard-drive to use that "Other OS" feature that the PS3's used to have (and apparently was an option on this CECHE01 PS3 back when it was still in production). he told me that unfortunately there's no way to get the space on the PS3 hard-drive back and that i'd have to get a new hard-drive and replace the hard-drive currently in my PS3 with the new hard-drive.

i've been seeing alot of videos on YouTube and talking to several friends of mine at Sony (and even checked out the Sony Forums and help-sites at Sony.com online (http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=469 , http://us.playstation.com//support/answer/index.htm?a_id=362 , http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1189 , http://us.playstation.com//support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1521 , http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=440 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vU3gq-j7JU , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2d3JCMHL4o , and others), and was able to successfully use the "backup" utility on my PS3 to create a backup of my PS3's hard-drive.

however, upon finishing doing this backup, the PS3 "backup" utility said i backed up 61 GB of stuff. i'm scared that it might have backed-up the "Other OS" partition also (and that basically, when i put in the new hard-drive and use the "restore" feature on the "backup" utility), it's going to partition my new PS3-hard-drive also and basically give me the same problems i'm having now with my PS3's current hard-drive (as in, i can't use all the space, because "Other OS" is using up the other space).

i have several questions:

#1. what did i back-up when i used the "backup" utility on my PS3?

#2. did it back-up the freaking "Other OS" partition also? (even though i don't want it to).

#3. is there any way to back-up JUST my saved-games for the games i've played on my PS3? as i've worked really really hard to get where i am on them and i don't want to lose them (some of those platinums and "100% complete"s were HARD AS HELL man! O_O ).

#4. i'm not that worried about the pictures and video-clips that i have in "Pictures" and "Videos" because they're all free videos and pictures i've downloaded from the Playstation Store and can easily download them again but is there a way to "back-up" them also?

#5. how can i make sure, when i install the new Seagate SATA 500GB 5400rpm [internal] hard-drive into my PS3, i don't lose any of the vitally-important stuff i have on my PS3 (the part of the hard-drive currently in my PS3 that is used FOR my PS3, NOT for the "Other OS" junk), like the "game saves" of the games i've played on it, the "updated firmware" for each of those games, etc.

Any other information and advice any of you reading this can give would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

Many thanks in advance for all of your help.

Mel

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Re: URGENT help with my CECHE01 PS3

Sep 27, 2012

Spend the money on PS Plus and just put your save games on the cloud.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (323 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Sep 28, 2012

The Backup Utility did back up the Other OS partition, but it won't be restored to a PS3 running current System software; because the Other OS feature is no longer supported by the PS3 System software.  That data will just be ignored when the backup is restored.

You can back up just the save data on the PS3, but not all at once.  Each save data icon has a Copy command in its option menu that can be used to copy it to a backup drive, unless the save data is copy-prohibited.  In that case, it can only individually be backed up to Playstation Plus Online Storage.

The PS3 Backup Utility will back up your photos, music, and videos; in addition to any game save data and downloaded games.  All of the content wil be restored to a new hard drive in the same PS3.  Some of it (copy-prohibited save data, and game or video content from the Playstation Store) will not be restored to a different PS3.  The only thing that doesn't get backed up is game data installed by Blu-ray games.  That will be reinstalled automatically from the Blu-ray disk the next time that you play the game.

The Backup Utility is the correct tool to use to preserve the contents of your PS3 when you replace the hard disk.  You didn't actually need to replace the drive.  You could have repartiioned the drive using a PC, and eliminated the Other OS partition that way. You would have still needed to make a backup with the Backup Utility in that case anyway.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
526 posts

Sep 28, 2012

You can also copy certain game saves, videos, music, photos to a thumb drive. I use a thumb drive for copying my game saves so i can take them with me when I travel. If the PS3 has the memory card slots, you can use an SDcard or a pro-duo memory card too, or a PSP connected via USB.

Final Fantasy XI: Darklordsidius
(Caitsith) *Ragnarok*

Gaming since 1982
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 30, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

The Backup Utility did back up the Other OS partition, but it won't be restored to a PS3 running current System software; because the Other OS feature is no longer supported by the PS3 System software.  That data will just be ignored when the backup is restored.

So when I 'restore' my old-PS3-hard-drive's data using the "Restore" feature on the PS3, it will restore everything (ie. the save-files from my games, the pictures and videos and music [files] on my PS3, the downloaded-PS3 and PSOne games, etc.) i have saved in my PS3, EXCEPT the "OtherOS" crap? (I know that's most likely/most definitely what you're saying; I'm just reiterating and double-checking to make sure that's what you said).

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (269 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Sep 30, 2012

Yes.  As you are restoring to the same console that the backup was made from, everything will be restored; except for the Other OS partition, which the current System software doesn't even know how to create.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 30, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

You can back up just the save data on the PS3, but not all at once.  Each save data icon has a Copy command in its option menu that can be used to copy it to a backup drive, unless the save data is copy-prohibited.  In that case, it can only individually be backed up to Playstation Plus Online Storage.

The PS3 Backup Utility will back up your photos, music, and videos; in addition to any game save data and downloaded games.  All of the content wil be restored to a new hard drive in the same PS3.  Some of it (copy-prohibited save data, and game or video content from the Playstation Store) will not be restored to a different PS3.  The only thing that doesn't get backed up is game data installed by Blu-ray games.  That will be reinstalled automatically from the Blu-ray disk the next time that you play the game.

The Backup Utility is the correct tool to use to preserve the contents of your PS3 when you replace the hard disk.  You didn't actually need to replace the drive.  You could have repartiioned the drive using a PC, and eliminated the Other OS partition that way. You would have still needed to make a backup with the Backup Utility in that case anyway.

You also mentioned "The PS3 Backup Utility will back up your photos, music, and videos; in addition to any game save data and downloaded games. All of the content will be restored to a new hard drive in the same PS3. Some of it (copy-prohibited save data, and game or video content from the Playstation Store) will not be restored to a different PS3. The only thing that doesn't get backed up is game data installed by Blu-ray games. That will be reinstalled automatically from the Blu-ray disk the next time that you play the game".

So the "Backup" Utility will also back-up my copy-protected game-saves (like my game-save for Assassin's Creed 2, one of the game-saves that i noticed was "faded out" when i tried to copy it "manually" (ie. Triangle, then "copy", then choosing my "external device" as the place to copy it to) to my external hard-drive)? Because i noticed that (like i mentioned before) when i tried to copy some of my game-saves (specifically, the ones that were "faded out") i couldn't back them up to my "external device", and the only place i could copy them to was Playstation-Plus's Online-Backup thingy (of which i don't have a subscription to, and will need to get one (ie. subscription to Playstation-Plus i mean) if i choose to use the "Online-Backup" thingy).

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 30, 2012

sparepart wrote:

Spend the money on PS Plus and just put your save games on the cloud.

Thanks for the tip :-)  . I'll see how I can get a PSN card and buy a 3-month subscription.

(Unfortunately at the local stores in my area (right now there's only 1 [local] store in my area selling PSN cards, unfortunately :-(  ), they're selling the $20 PSN card for $29.99 + 7% sales-tax, and the $50 PSN card for $69.99 + 7% sales-tax :-S ).

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 30, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:The Backup Utility is the correct tool to use to preserve the contents of your PS3 when you replace the hard disk.  You didn't actually need to replace the drive.  You could have repartiioned the drive using a PC, and eliminated the Other OS partition that way. You would have still needed to make a backup with the Backup Utility in that case anyway.

I had no idea I can do that [with the original hard-drive used for the PS3] :-O  ; thanks for the tip :-)   (I'm still a newbie at using the PS3 lol).

Unfortunately I don't have any "freeware" software programs that I can use to create, delete, and/or modify partitions :-(  . But I'll keep a lookout for them :-)

Once again, thanks for the tip :-)

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 30, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

I also had another question. [Like I said, I have a CECHE01 PS3 (which is the one that came bundled with MGS4, and is the last PS3 that is backwards-compatible with PS2 games. however, this one's backwards-compatible by means of some kind of emulation software, as opposed to the previous version of PS3 prior to mine that were compatible via them having the PS2 hardware in them (or something along those lines)), and] I've been watching several videos on YouTube, reading various forums (including this one), and checking out various sections of the "Support" section of the [Sony] Playstation websites, on how to upgrade my PS3's hard-drive, and one of the things i'm reading is that for several of the versions of Playstation, i have to download the latest firmware onto a USB "thumbdrive" and when "booting up" my PS3 with the new hard-drive put in it, i have to use that "thumbdrive with the latest PS3 firmware in it" to install the latest firmware into the PS3. those instructions are also included in the things to do when you're upgrading a CECHE01 PS3's hard-drive.

however, the videos on YouTube all show that for MY PARTICULAR ps3 (ie. CECHE01), i DON'T have to do that step. IGN's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2d3JCMHL4o) and Lucario's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vU3gq-j7JU) all show that when i turn on my PS3, it will just say that the new hard-drive in the PS3 is not formatted and it will ask me if i'd like to format it (or something along those lines) to which i then say "yes" (or "okay" or whatever it says) and then presto, i'm all set. (except for all the "restoring my back-up of the stuff i had in my previous-PS3-hard-drive lol).

my question to you guys is, do i have to do that "download the latest PS3 firmware onto a USB thumbdrive and then when turning on my PS3 again  after putting the new hard-drive in it, install the latest firmware into my PS3 with that thumbdrive" thing. ??

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (250 Views)
0 Likes