Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 12 2013
By: SuperPhillip First Son 22 posts

Two questions: One about SD cards and one about getting a new PS3.

6 replies 62 views Edited Jan 12, 2013

Hi all. 

I recently had a run-in with the dreaded "Yellow Light of Death" and my PS3 then shut off. I was able to turn it back on with no problem. However, I understand that this means my old 60 GB model is taking a march towards death's doorstep. I was wondering if I could copy some of the save data from my current model and put it on an SD card. Then when I get a new PS3, I wanted to know if I could put the stuff I saved on my SD card onto the new PS3.

Secondly, is there anything I need to do with my old PS3 if/when I get a new PS3? I don't know if the new PS3 will allow me to download the games I've purchased on the old model if Sony still thinks I'm using the old model when I've moved onto the new PS3. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7 (62 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15430 posts

Re: Two questions: One about SD cards and one about getting a new PS3.

Jan 12, 2013

You can copy most PS3 save data to an SD card.  The problem is that the vast majority of PS3s don't have SD card readers.  Unless you get another 60GB PS3 from Sony (which probably won't last long), you won't be able to connect the SD card to your new PS3. You are better off using a flash drive formatted as FAT32.

You should deactivate your old PS3 under your PSN account when you are finished with it (Account Management>System Activation).  You can download all of your Playstation Store purchases to up to 2 PS3 consoles that are activated under your PSN account.  You can also clear all of the activations from your PSN account once every six months, so you can always download whatever Playstation Store games and add-ons that you have purchased to a new PS3.

GKP
Message 2 of 7 (56 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

What kind of flash drive would you recommend me to get? 

Message 3 of 7 (46 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15430 posts

Jan 12, 2013

It doesn't matter really.  Any brand will do, as long as it conforms to the USB storage device standard. A 4GB drive should be plenty of space. 

GKP
Message 4 of 7 (44 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 12, 2013
Message 5 of 7 (41 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15430 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Yes.  Either of those would be fine.

GKP
Message 6 of 7 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Thank you very much. If I have any other questions such as how to format the drive, I'll let you know. 

Message 7 of 7 (36 Views)
0 Likes