Mar 02 2010
By: Nemesis296 First Son 17 posts

The PS3 Time Bomb: February 28, 2014...

37 replies 453 views Edited Mar 2, 2010

So now that this issue has passed for the year 2010, we can only assume that Sony has 4 years to fix this problem before it happens again.  If my theories are correct as a programmer, 12/31/1999 or 1/1/2000 was the date used to reset the clock in the event of a run-time error which is caused when attempting to set the date to 2/29/2010 (and will happen again on attempt of 2/29/2014 and every 4 years after)

If the clock is assuming leap years are every 2 years, that means we are safe when an actual leap year hits (like 2012), but not even years in-between leap years.  2010 is the first non-leap even year since the PS3's release in November of 2006, so that's why we never saw this issue before.

Sony, please give us a response on what will be done so that we don't have to experience this issue again in exactly 4 years.

People are saying that because it's the internal clock, there is no firmware update that can fix this.  You can't honestly expect us to just turn off our PS3s on February 28-March 1 every 4 years (2010, 2014, 2018, etc), something really should be done to fix this problem.  You got lucky for the clock resetting properly this time, but just waiting out the problem did not actually *solve* this issue.

What will you do to make sure this doesn't happen again in 4 years?

Message 1 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: The PS3 Time Bomb: February 28, 2014...

Mar 2, 2010

Are you actually concerned about this happenning in 4 years?  It is 4 years dude.

Message 2 of 38 (453 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Mar 2, 2010

Yea I am actually.  It's like buying a car, but every 4 years after you buy it, the engine will not turn on for a day.  You may not be concerned about it *right* now, but you sure as hell don't want to have to deal with a known problem like that, you would want it fixed.

This is the same thing.  I paid for a PS3, I shouldn't be completely unable to use it 1 day every 4 years.  By the way, I'm not speaking for everyone, but I bet you I'm speaking for every whiner and complainer that was yapping about how Sony owes them trophies, DLC, etc for the inconvenience yesterday.  It hurts Sony's rep, and as a loyal Sony customer, I would think it is in their best interest to fix this now, rather than later.

It may seem like a stretch, but there are plenty of people out there who would feel that if they buy a console, they should be able to play it whenever they want.  Yesterday's glitch was a prime example of being unable to do what they feel they should be promised to do.  When Sony suggests not to even turn the console on during the problem, that says bad news to me, and it's going to keep happening unless Sony does something about it.  Maybe it's only once every 4 years, but I'd like it to be 0 times for eternity.

Message 3 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 2, 2010

So you couldn't play for 1 day I have had a car in for a repair before and that took a day so your comparison to a car is silly.  Honestly I think this site was desended upon by fanboys of other consoles and they are just ranting about a console that in rl they don't even play.  There will probably be a new console in 4 years you just need to move on with your life I think.

Message 4 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 2, 2010

Wow, you think I'm an M$ fanboy?  That hurts.  Did you notice that I've been a PSN registered member since May 2009?  I didn't just log on here yesterday and decide to join the Sony forums.  Maybe I haven't posted much before, but that doesn't mean I'm not a part of the community.

I'll have you know that I prefer the PS3 over all the rest of the systems.  This is mainly because of the Blu-ray player, the trophies, and the games that Sony comes out with.  Trophies to me have much more weight than 50G achievements.  You could get 50 10G achievements for 500 points, but you can't get 50 bronze trophies to make a platinum.  I may only have one platinum, but that's beside the point.

The point my friend, is that on the day of this issue, people had the chance to lose trophy data, save data and other things, rendering the system unplayable.  If it doesn't get resolved, it's going to be forgotten and the same thing will gripe people 4 years from now.  I hate that the internet imploded into a Sony-hate fest, and I'm not a Sony fanboy either.  IGN had a field day yesterday calling it the "Death of the PSN", and biased the entire situation toward all PS3s from a glance and not just the "fat" ones.  People will always pull the "get a life" argument on topics like this, but the problem is...I do have a life.  I have a job, my own house and when I've got some free time to kill, I'll play video games.  If I can't play video games when I want to, it's kinda frustrating; espeically when I don't even need the internet to play the game I want.

I understand that you may have had your car in for repair before, that is *not* the same thing.  Car repair in this situation would be like if the hard drive on my console failed and I needed to send it to Sony to get it fixed.  This isn't something that just affects my PS3.  It affects nearly every PS3 owner from before June 2009...that's almost 3 years worth of PS3s, which by my calculations is in the MILLIONS.  It's not so serious that we need to all send our PS3's to Sony today, but they sure better do something about it now that they *know* there is a problem.

I have been around the Internet for too long.  People have very little patience for companies that know about issues and refuse to appeal to their customers when they report an issue.  All I'm saying is that Sony needs to address this issue before it happens again.  Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but sometime before Feb 28, 2014 when Hell pt 2 is unleashed and people decide to switch loyalties to another company for refusal to listen to screaming customers who pay them money for customer satisfaction.

EDIT: By the way, when I say "people" above, you do realize I'm talking about Sony's most loyal customers.  The one's who stood in line for hours/days to get their hands on the first systems, the ones who bought the first releases of games.  The ones who paid nearly $600 for a next-generation console experience.  Imagine what would happen if they lost all those loyal customers...

Message 5 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4047 posts

Mar 2, 2010

To me its obvious that they will add something in a future firmware update that will fix this...

I really didnt think it was that big of a deal though, i mean, it was only 1 day...

vincej25
Message 6 of 38 (453 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Mar 2, 2010

People don't believe a firmware update will fix it.  It deals with the internal clock, not the OS clock and the only way people found to fix it other than to wait it out was to open the case and pull the battery out which automatically voids the warranty.

You're right it's not that big of a deal, but Sony needs to do more than just say "the problem is fixed" when clearly they just crossed their fingers hoping that the clock would reset itself within 24 hours.

I'll be honest that I haven't turned my PS3 on since Saturday by luck so I wasn't directly affected by the problem.  The goal of this thread was to point out that all the people inconvenienced by this yesterday will have the same issue in 4 years; unless Sony does something about it.

And by something I don't mean suggest that we all buy PS3 slims.

Message 7 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2630 posts

Mar 2, 2010

We will have PS4's before this even happens again.

Message 8 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 2, 2010

So the PS3 will stop working when the PS4 is released

...because that's really what happened with the PS2, right?

Message 9 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 2, 2010

Honestly dude if your that worried about this happening in 4 years think about it we wont be alive because the world ends in 2012 havent you hered...

Also i have never posted anything before but this persons stupidness has just ticked me off to the point of wanting to make a comment :smileyhappy:!

Message 10 of 38 (453 Views)
0 Likes