Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Re: The FW upgrades DO NOT damage the BD drive!!

Nov 26, 2009

Michelasso wrote:

Merkley wrote: 

"If you know nothing, don't post. "

"Hey MICHELASS,you know the difference between mechanic , analogic and digital ???

W T F you mean with digital ? your brain is digital ?
Period ..........."

"I don't have neither the time nor the wish to teach you the basis of Computer Science. In any case the brain is not digital, it's a neural network. So it's more an analogic system."

"I can't believe all you idiots here that don't think firmware updates can damage the console. ...."

That was ages ago, and it was against me. I kept calm and didn't reply so the moron left. Now we are discussing at an higher level. People not understanding what the issue is for sure don't follow 18 pages of thread. Unless they are interested on learning something, sure.

I still think asking a person to read 18 pages is excessive.... even when it directly applies to them.  Specially when you consider how many of those pages have wrong or mis-information on them.  

Disagree, look at the 'nay-sayer' gang, yourself, etc. Clearly there are some knowledge issues there.  Most of the poeple taking an oppositional position have no proof and have done nothing to help (aka. prove) their position.  People like RND and a few are putting in the time and effort to learn, test and report.  That OP stinks of the forum problem where people just like to post without being held accountable for their words/claims.  Again, if you don't like people correcting you or 'getting upset' about your OP then go edit it... that's on you, not them.

(and btw, those quotes were from a variety of people, and just from the first page or two.... just showing you that your OP bothered alot more people that you seem to recognize in your post)

From people that know:
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/alert-some-ps3-owners-say-sonys-latest-firmware-killed-their-blu-ray/7064

PS3 Trophies
Message 221 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Nov 26, 2009

Impact_666 wrote:

Oh wait, I think I know what the PS3 mainboard eeprom is for....

It probably holds the bootstrap code, and some sort of safe-loader routine should a bad system software image develop.

It's common these days for a reserved and locked storage area to provide a way to recover by means of downloading firmware from a chip either by USB, CF, etc.

For Meade telescopes using the Autostar I, we hold <ENTER> and <Dn Arrow>, for Celestron scopes we hold <Info> and <Align>, for Synscan scopes we hold <8> and <9>.  Some systems automatically initiate a software update via the external memory card port like the Meade Autostar III.

I'm going to agree, it's most likely holding the 'recovery' options.  Considering that part of that is to rebuild corrupt HDDs it's completely logical to make the assumption that the code to recover a corrupt HDD is not on the HDD itself.  

I also agree that it probably contains the keys for encryption; not just necessarily the BD data.  As many of us know, if you change the main board out on your PS3 you cannot use your HDD.... you must erase and start over.  However, changing just the Bluray drive does not result in the data being inaccessible on your HDD.

From people that know:
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/alert-some-ps3-owners-say-sonys-latest-firmware-killed-their-blu-ray/7064

PS3 Trophies
Message 222 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Nov 26, 2009

RobotNinjaDeath wrote:

The only reason that I'm not positive that the 3.xx updates are "stressing" a lemon drive is that I can access and copy large amounts of data from games discs via linux.  I can do this with game discs in linux only.  Movies didn't work in either linux or the XMB.

I'm not sure on whether or not you could do that before?  I know that accessing bluray data in linux is not straight-forward.... it also wouldn't make much sense that it can read "one" bluray type but not another... I would suggest (not sure) that the indexing and all of the seek information for the disk, track, etc would be in the same area... sorta "boot-loader" style for the disk, like a table of contents.   ?? 

From people that know:

PS3 Trophies
Message 223 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
474 posts

Nov 26, 2009

Merkley wrote:

RobotNinjaDeath wrote:

The only reason that I'm not positive that the 3.xx updates are "stressing" a lemon drive is that I can access and copy large amounts of data from games discs via linux.  I can do this with game discs in linux only.  Movies didn't work in either linux or the XMB.

I'm not sure on whether or not you could do that before?  I know that accessing bluray data in linux is not straight-forward.... it also wouldn't make much sense that it can read "one" bluray type but not another... I would suggest (not sure) that the indexing and all of the seek information for the disk, track, etc would be in the same area... sorta "boot-loader" style for the disk, like a table of contents.   ?? 

I agree, it doesn't make sense for some blurays to work and some to not.  I guess we can assume that the file format is slightly different for movies.  This might make them more susceptible to fail under the 3.xx updates.  I would bet my money on not-to-spec disc drives if it wasn't for this one weird symptom.  Lemon drives would easily fail from an update designed for a drive that is made to standard.

Proudly using 3.15 so as to retain my advertised feature of other-os.

Sony refuses to prove that your bluray drive did not "die" from a 3.xx update. Decide for yourself and ignore the ignorance.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 224 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 27, 2009
Just for those who don't know, firmware = go between the OS and the hardware. In this case, the OS tells the firmware to spin up the Blu-ray drive at certain speed. In many peoples case, the firmware does not work properly thus the XMB does not see the Blu-ray drive. Or the firmware dictates that the drive spins at X amount of speed, which is more than what the drive can handle, and it makes the drive die.
Message 225 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Nov 27, 2009

madterps wrote:
Just for those who don't know, firmware = go between the OS and the hardware. In this case, the OS tells the firmware to spin up the Blu-ray drive at certain speed. In many peoples case, the firmware does not work properly thus the XMB does not see the Blu-ray drive. Or the firmware dictates that the drive spins at X amount of speed, which is more than what the drive can handle, and it makes the drive die.

The line is blurred these days.

The firmware can be the operating system, the control logic for the hardware, and everything in-between, or part there-of.

It's nearly impossible to make the distinction between firmware and software.  When you try to define the two, you end up realizing that they are both the same.

My own classification is this...

Firmware - stored in non-volatile memory and executed from non-volatile memory (FLASH or PROM)

Software - stored in volatile memory and executed from volatile memory (RAM)

It doesn't explain every single case, but it's close enough.

But if you have to explain this to a neophyte, you're best off just calling it all software - keep it simple.

For the PS3 - I like the explanation:

The system software (those stupid updates Sony forces us to install at our own risk and peril) is the firmware.  Inside this firmware is the OS, drivers, middleware, and software (web browser, photo album, etc.).  Some of the system software is stored in flash memory, and some is stored on the hard drive (like the photo album, downloadable content).  The firmware can also contain other firmware destined for the various hardware - like the Blu-ray, NIC, hard disk controller, etc.

Message 226 of 226 (18 Views)
0 Likes