Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
First Son
Registered: 03/31/2008
Offline
25 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Dec 14, 2010

All is fine now. I can now sign in online to play games.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/12/2010
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Dec 14, 2010

I don't know if it is any help or not, but maybe everyone her can submit a comment to Sony here regarding this issue. I doubt they come on here to read this and so far there are 5 threads and nearly 300 posts about this. I am sure it would do more than making noise on the forums.

 

Go here to submit it:

http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/

 

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/18/2008
Offline
2086 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Dec 14, 2010

 


autohacker2000 wrote:

Garry-G68 wrote:

 

I’ve worked in hardware and software repair for over twenty years, and can’t see how hardware could be faulty and working before an update and that same hardware not work after an update… because the hardware was at fault?

 


i have personally seen this happen. had a dell laptop a fellow employee was complaining about having a virus, along with being overloaded with programs and files that weren't needed. all the hardware was working it was just slow and full of viruses. i decided to format the hdd and re-install windows on the system.

 

i rebooted the laptop with the OS disk in the drive and started the install progress. formatted the drive, the system rebooted then started the install process. 5 minutes into the install the system would just freeze. let it sit for an hour and the progress bar did nothing. i thought it was weird so i rebooted and started the process over again, formatting the drive again to make sure there wasn't anything going on. went through the formatting, rebooted, started the install progress then once again froze at around 5 minutes. scratching my head i decided to put a different disk drive in the laptop. after the drive was replaced with one i had lying around i started the process again (formatted, rebooted, started install process) when low and behold it completed the install without any issues.

 

so in the end the disk drive was working fine before we re-installed the OS, while it did have an issue that wouldn't allow it to function properly enough to read the data during the install process. upon replacing the hardware component all worked fine. hardware can fail in different ways, as well as certain hardware components showing issues that are actually issues with a different piece of hardware.


 

I've had that happen to me also on PCs and was going to mention this also.  With OS installs the exact same physical position on the Hard disk is used for the initial OS boot and if enough sectors are bad in this area the disk is not usable for an "active" boot disk but can be used for other uses in a PC.  Also this area is read at every boot and may suffer wear due to multiple head skuffs.  

 

So a format will automatically eliminate these bad areas and the format will be successful but the disk can not be used for a boot disk where firmware or parts of "Windows" requires an actual physical position on the Disk.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/01/2008
Online
4377 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Dec 15, 2010

 


Garry-G68 wrote:

ctfw529 wrote:

 

a FW can "tell" the hardware to work differently. thats what a FW does, it tells the hardware to work differently "at the software level", & if that piece of hardware can't the "strain" of the change, it will fail or seize or simply pump out an error code.


Well I wouldn’t exactly say that unless things like the GPU are E-Prom based, even then that statment isn't strictly true

But I do know what you mean.

The thing is, if the software ‘breaks’ this, e.g. isn’t 100% compatible with all hardware, there is a software incompatibility issue with the update. If the drive speed can be changed by the software update, I would suggest not enough fault-tolerance has been done to rule out problems with older hardware, or Sony simply didn’t care if the older hardware couldn’t cope, or were prepared to take that hit!

 


ctfw529 wrote:

what is your theory on why this happens? and what is your theory on why bad FW code only affects a few handfuls of people instead of every single ps3 (that updates) or at least every model of a certain model number?


As it’s a closed system I can only theorise, but IMO I think it’s more a problem with the software update process allowing install-time errors to creep in.

I don’t think the update is necessarily ‘breaking’ anything at a hardware level. I think the process is allowing some faulty or corrupted installations to corrupt the operating systems software, to the point where further installs are not fixing the problem.

In the 3.5 case it seems to mostly be problems with corrupting the graphics driver software, which would make sense as this update is mostly about graphics.

 

In some cases earlier installs could also have introduced some minor update ‘errors’ that weren’t obvious or noticed by the user. It’s possible that a combined effect of minor inconsistencies within earlier updates could cause load problems with the latest update which in turn could cause some (seemingly random) systems to not function properly, giving much more obvious and serious affects.

 

Again, I’m not saying this is the case because I can’t see exactly how these updates work, what they overwrite, what they check or look for, and what they don’t!

 


autohacker2000 wrote:

 

i have personally seen this happen. … the disk drive was working fine before we re-installed the OS..


 

Sounds like a corrupted sector on the hard-disk, which the old installation could have been working with. I’d hardly call that a hardware-error-caused by a systems update though. Bad-sectors are a very different thing from what is being argued here...

As I understood it people are saying updates can break chips and read-heads here, and the PS3 can cope with HD sector errors

 


 

Garry-G68, i appreciate your answers/thoughts/theories on the matter, but honestly, it still doesn't change anything. i have 3 ps3s in my house, ranging from launch to a slim and still have never had problems on these 3 consoles. so, the fact that my 60 still takes the updates & still works no problem screws up the "older" hardware theory. i'm not disputing your post at all, but i do see where you're coming from. as its a closed system, we will probably never know the true extent of this. every update that comes out also comes with it, the usual amount of about 20 systems failed. people say hundreds & thousands, but its simply not true (on here, at least). i've been following this board for a long time and its usually less than 20 systems failing. 

 

either way, we can debate this all day, everyday, but until the numbers reach high enough to cause mainstream media to take notice of a problem, its just going to stay the same. there is an industry-standard fail rate for a reason.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/28/2010
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Jan 3, 2011

READ THIS BY LARALES9 from 1up.com

As you know i have published a blog about the issues the update 3.55  on PS3 did last December 7th. I contacted Sony Customer Service to know  about how to solve my issue in order to play movies  and games. (*_*)

This is what my letter to Sony SCE said:

SCEA Consumer Services
Customer By Web Form 12/22/2010  04:09 PM Hi, my PSN ID is larales99, i never had an issue with my PS3 i  have 2 of them, about 2 weeks ago i updated my PS3 and after that  update my PS3 start to freeze, now im not able to play games, watch  movies on DVD or BLU-RAy, so i need you to look for an answer or  something i can do to fix my PS3, im not able to send it to you, because  im a little far from the US, so i need you to help me or at least tell  me if this issue is going to be fix, or how i can fix it, help me  please.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the inconvenient.
God bless you.

This was my letter sent to them on December 22nd.

This was the answer they give me:

Discussion Thread Response Via Email (Dan E.) 12/23/2010 11:19 AM

Hello Aless,

Thank you for writing us in regards to the issue  you are experiencing with your PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment  system. I understand how frustrating this can be. I would like you to go  into safe mode and use options 3 and 4. I am including a link below  that will walk you through how to do this.

Using Safe Mode
Article Link: http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488

If  these options do not correct the issue then you may need to use option  5. However, please be aware that this will remove all games and game  saved data. You will also need to know your PlayStation(R)Network  account information in order to sign back into your account once this  step is complete.

Please feel free to email us back with any  questions and/or concerns you may have regarding this or any other  issue. As always, thank you for providing us with the opportunity to  assist you.

Regards,
Dan E.

I did everything stated here (^_^), i even had to format my HDD (x_x) to fix the issue (according to this e-mail) but nothing help  to fix the PS3 from freezing. So as consumer or customer i decided to  write them back again after a few days to see what they can say...

This is what i wrote after my long troubleshoot steeps:

SCEA Consumer Services
Customer By Web Form 12/24/2010  07:47 AM Hi guys, my PS3 after the update 3.55 is having an issue when  trying to play games or movies. The system freeze after a few minutes  playing. This is very frustrating to me, that never happened to me. You  sent me help about what can i do. Access the Safe Mode and did the step  2, 3, 4 and if it didnt work do the 5th one wich will format the HDD, i  did it, and lost all my info, hopefully i store save games in a sd card.  So is not only me. from 10 friends i have 4 are having the same issue i  do, it does not matter if its slim or fat PS3, it does not matter  if reads PS2 games or not, its randomly the issue. I need you to help me  understand what to do, i store my PS3 on its box, because i dont want  it to get damage, i have 2 PS3 80gb, the one MGS bundle that reads PS2  and the other 80gb that does not read PS2 games. Both are having same  issue. So do i need to wait for next update? or you have another option  to help me? A friend told me maybe your PS3 is having issues with the  graphic card, or the mother board, but i dont think so, the mgs bundle i  bought it brand new factory sealed on july 2010, and the 80gb the one  does not read PS2 i bought it on october 2008 brand new also, so the  problem its they are old or new, i think is the update, and some of my  friends have exactly the same issue, so it cant be a massive graphic  card issue we are having right? So please help me understand, i am 100%  sure this is the update that has the issues. So do you have a date for  next update or another solution? Unfortunately im a little far from USA  so i will not be able to send it to you because it will be expensive as  hell to send it. So please help me, i will wait for the answer.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenient.
God bless you.

So as you suposed they never answer me, NEVER. I was keeping in touch  with the forum to see if they have something new, but nothing, all i  was reading was complaining about people with the PS3 bricked or  damaged. After a few days i sent them back the same e-mail but with this  note added to see what they can asnwer: Hi guys, i sent you an  e-mail last week requesting help for my PS3 80GB MGS4 Bundle that reeds  PS2 games but you never aswer. Hi guys, my PS3 after the update 3.55 is  having an issue when... you know the e-mail alreay. After a day they reply me.

This is the irresponsible answer they give me:

Discussion Thread Response Via Email (Elizabeth S.) 12/28/2010 07:22 PM

Hello Aless,

As much as we would like to address all of your  questions, there are certain topics that are simply out of the scope of  this department within Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). You  have reached the Consumer Services Department within SCEA, and we handle  all general inquiries for our PlayStation(R) family of products,  warranty and repair information, installation and troubleshooting,  general corporate business inquiries, and third party software  referrals, just to name a few.

Very specific questions on any  particular product (e.g., manufacturing process), programming details of  software or hardware, 'reasons or beliefs' on why a product did or did  not include certain features, personal opinions, and personal contact  information for developers, publishers, and other company employees, are  some of the topics that cannot be addressed. Also, there are certain  topics that we may not be able to address due to the fact that they are  confidential and proprietary to SCEA. .


Regards,
Elizabeth S.

So what do you think about this answer? is this right? (°o°) i  dont know you, but i found it very rude, and very unprofessional from  them to give such stupid answer. The worst thing about this is that Sony  is not responsible for any issues presented on the PS3s, so is this  fair to us the gamers?. I just belive if we the gamers unite into one,  get together and start complaining about all this issues, and doing  something, or at least stop from buying Sony products maybe they will  awake and do things as good as they did before, but this is the real  world i cant dream, i cant lie to my self; im a little dissapoint  because eventhough this is my first encounter with an issue on an update  in more than 2 years it fells a little unfair to me, and i know to  others too.

I just hope this issue get fix as soon as posible (U_U), because after all the PS3 is a good console, but next time Sony you  might think before doing a console so advance that even you guys cant  handle it, because thats the problem, this console is so good, but your  not even enough to handle it.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/30/2005
Offline
2966 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Jan 4, 2011

amin750 wrote:

READ THIS BY LARALES9 from 1up.com

As you know i have published a blog about the issues the update 3.55  on PS3 did last December 7th. I contacted Sony Customer Service to know  about how to solve my issue in order to play movies  and games. (*_*)

This is what my letter to Sony SCE said:

SCEA Consumer Services
Customer By Web Form 12/22/2010  04:09 PM Hi, my PSN ID is larales99, i never had an issue with my PS3 i  have 2 of them, about 2 weeks ago i updated my PS3 and after that  update my PS3 start to freeze, now im not able to play games, watch  movies on DVD or BLU-RAy, so i need you to look for an answer or  something i can do to fix my PS3, im not able to send it to you, because  im a little far from the US, so i need you to help me or at least tell  me if this issue is going to be fix, or how i can fix it, help me  please.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the inconvenient.
God bless you.

This was my letter sent to them on December 22nd.

This was the answer they give me:

Discussion Thread Response Via Email (Dan E.) 12/23/2010 11:19 AM

Hello Aless,

Thank you for writing us in regards to the issue  you are experiencing with your PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment  system. I understand how frustrating this can be. I would like you to go  into safe mode and use options 3 and 4. I am including a link below  that will walk you through how to do this.

Using Safe Mode
Article Link: http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488

If  these options do not correct the issue then you may need to use option  5. However, please be aware that this will remove all games and game  saved data. You will also need to know your PlayStation(R)Network  account information in order to sign back into your account once this  step is complete.

Please feel free to email us back with any  questions and/or concerns you may have regarding this or any other  issue. As always, thank you for providing us with the opportunity to  assist you.

Regards,
Dan E.

I did everything stated here (^_^), i even had to format my HDD (x_x) to fix the issue (according to this e-mail) but nothing help  to fix the PS3 from freezing. So as consumer or customer i decided to  write them back again after a few days to see what they can say...

This is what i wrote after my long troubleshoot steeps:

SCEA Consumer Services
Customer By Web Form 12/24/2010  07:47 AM Hi guys, my PS3 after the update 3.55 is having an issue when  trying to play games or movies. The system freeze after a few minutes  playing. This is very frustrating to me, that never happened to me. You  sent me help about what can i do. Access the Safe Mode and did the step  2, 3, 4 and if it didnt work do the 5th one wich will format the HDD, i  did it, and lost all my info, hopefully i store save games in a sd card.  So is not only me. from 10 friends i have 4 are having the same issue i  do, it does not matter if its slim or fat PS3, it does not matter  if reads PS2 games or not, its randomly the issue. I need you to help me  understand what to do, i store my PS3 on its box, because i dont want  it to get damage, i have 2 PS3 80gb, the one MGS bundle that reads PS2  and the other 80gb that does not read PS2 games. Both are having same  issue. So do i need to wait for next update? or you have another option  to help me? A friend told me maybe your PS3 is having issues with the  graphic card, or the mother board, but i dont think so, the mgs bundle i  bought it brand new factory sealed on july 2010, and the 80gb the one  does not read PS2 i bought it on october 2008 brand new also, so the  problem its they are old or new, i think is the update, and some of my  friends have exactly the same issue, so it cant be a massive graphic  card issue we are having right? So please help me understand, i am 100%  sure this is the update that has the issues. So do you have a date for  next update or another solution? Unfortunately im a little far from USA  so i will not be able to send it to you because it will be expensive as  hell to send it. So please help me, i will wait for the answer.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenient.
God bless you.

So as you suposed they never answer me, NEVER. I was keeping in touch  with the forum to see if they have something new, but nothing, all i  was reading was complaining about people with the PS3 bricked or  damaged. After a few days i sent them back the same e-mail but with this  note added to see what they can asnwer: Hi guys, i sent you an  e-mail last week requesting help for my PS3 80GB MGS4 Bundle that reeds  PS2 games but you never aswer. Hi guys, my PS3 after the update 3.55 is  having an issue when... you know the e-mail alreay. After a day they reply me.

This is the irresponsible answer they give me:

Discussion Thread Response Via Email (Elizabeth S.) 12/28/2010 07:22 PM

Hello Aless,

As much as we would like to address all of your  questions, there are certain topics that are simply out of the scope of  this department within Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). You  have reached the Consumer Services Department within SCEA, and we handle  all general inquiries for our PlayStation(R) family of products,  warranty and repair information, installation and troubleshooting,  general corporate business inquiries, and third party software  referrals, just to name a few.

Very specific questions on any  particular product (e.g., manufacturing process), programming details of  software or hardware, 'reasons or beliefs' on why a product did or did  not include certain features, personal opinions, and personal contact  information for developers, publishers, and other company employees, are  some of the topics that cannot be addressed. Also, there are certain  topics that we may not be able to address due to the fact that they are  confidential and proprietary to SCEA. .


Regards,
Elizabeth S.

So what do you think about this answer? is this right? (°o°) i  dont know you, but i found it very rude, and very unprofessional from  them to give such ****** answer. The worst thing about this is that Sony  is not responsible for any issues presented on the PS3s, so is this  fair to us the gamers?. I just belive if we the gamers unite into one,  get together and start complaining about all this issues, and doing  something, or at least stop from buying Sony products maybe they will  awake and do things as good as they did before, but this is the real  world i cant dream, i cant lie to my self; im a little dissapoint  because eventhough this is my first encounter with an issue on an update  in more than 2 years it fells a little unfair to me, and i know to  others too.

I just hope this issue get fix as soon as posible (U_U), because after all the PS3 is a good console, but next time Sony you  might think before doing a console so advance that even you guys cant  handle it, because thats the problem, this console is so good, but your  not even enough to handle it.


Well i can point out that your trying to get answers from a devision of sony that will not have all the answers or specificly the answers you specificly what answered. The CS was not rude because they cant answer questions that they themselves cant get information to give. You might feel that they know answers to all the problems that come past them, but in this case they dont and they just informed you that they ether didnt know or could not help due to rules they have to follow. All customer service is, is to help the customer with what they can with the limited information they have. If a customer has problems beyond the CS limited services, then your pretty much left with few options and in this case its send in the ps3 for repairs.

Also getting ppl united to go gang rush sony to give answers on specific issues will not help, its would be like if i came up to you with a grp of ppl and said you had on a ugly shirt and told you to go change it...well in this case you would think me and the others were nuts and you would not change your shirt because we said it was ugly. I know that having a broken ps3 seems like the end of the world, but things happen and sometimes its happens randomly, its just you won the lottery on having a problem pop up.

_____________________________________________________
Opinion:
Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/09/2004
Offline
1134 posts
 

Re: Thank you sony! FW 3.55 has destroyed my GPU

Jan 4, 2011

Dont we have more important issues, like how the US government planned the 9/11 attacks? I got proof they did it, when asked if they were involved they refused to answer, CONSPIRACY!

Red Forman: If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your ***, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America."
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 47 (9 Views)
Reply
0 Likes