Dec 16 2012
By: whoareyouiamme First Son 2 posts

Strange yet very annoying issues with fw 4.31

3 replies 140 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

In the beginning, I updated to 4.30, despite the objections of the entire internet.  All was well in the land.  Everything worked as it should, while still providing great services and features.

But soon there were clouds forming overhead.  An ominous thunderstorm was approaching from the east.  It was dark, dreary and disconcerting.  I took Sony's advice and decided to keep my system up-to-date with the 4.31 fw.  Once again, despite the internets' whole-hearted objection.

At first, it seemed like everything was okay.  The storm had passed, being merely a momentary inconvenience.  But then I discovered the damage was more than minimal.  It was catastrophic.

Here's the issue with the 4.31 fw.  I design and create DVDs for personal use.  Prior to 4.31, all my burned DVD's worked as they should; they loaded, and functioned properly.  Now I get errors and more errors.  And then I get even more errors.  Most of the errors I get center around one specific issue.

Something to the effect of "The video could not be played (80029946)".  The message itself may not be exact, but the error code is.  The other error code I received revolved around me trying to watch PAL video, which makes absolutely no sense.   Nothing I have done in the creation of my homemade DVD's has changed in the slightest.  Now, when I load up the DVD and attempt to use the remote control (blue-tooth ps3 remote), I hit the menu button, it errors out with said error message and takes me back to the PS3 homescreen.

I forsee no fix for this.  I am, probably, the only person who has this issue.  What I am asking is for a way to get back to my previous firmware of 4.30.  Otherwise, I will have to take drastic measures and do something crazy like purchase an e3 flasher and flash my way back to 4.30.  It seems stupid that I would have to invest $90 - $120 into a 3rd party device just to fix something you broke.  

Or, if you have a competent solution, I'd probably be open to that as well.  Thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Re: Strange yet very annoying issues with fw 4.31

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

You've come to the right place.  It's probably a hardware issue.  Nerdier people than myself could get in there and evaluate your specific situation.  Shouldn't cost more than $100 to fix, $150 tops for a full replacement unit to keep you in the game.  If you don't want the additional drama of a hardware examination, just get a replacement unit - you could buy that anywhere.  I've seen some refurb units and they were looking good.  'Most' people overlook the refurb for reasons unknown and go for the repair.

*Uninterruped* online gaming is what keeps me up, but that's just me.  Your realities may differ.  I don't know.  I hope it's not real urgent.

Good luck and I hope you one day find the parts you need.  

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3450 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

Most likely cause is the lense in the BD drive is allready dying that reads the DVDs. It will continues and then fail fully...

The PS3 Gives the default failure command when it can see the disc but is unable to get a steady data flow and the firmware gives up after the read errors are to high... The reason the PS3 thinks its a pal problem is because it still detects the DVD and the only thing thats supposed to break play back is PAL format video in its firmware coding...

Its just not able to read the data error free currently. 

The BDs are read buy a diferent Lense on the PS3. so BD videos should still play fine.

I have not lost any DVD-R playback and I have a Panasonic and Toshiba DVD-R burners.

Data DVD and Mpeg2 video DVD I burned last year and older are still playing.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (108 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the replies.  Yeah its an older George Foreman style PS3.  So it could be the lens.  

Just seemed convenient that it would start as soon as i changed to 4.31.  Who knows what the real issue is.  Anyhow, I may just get a ps3 slim.  Not the slim slim since thats a **bleep**.

But I think I'll pass on learning Japanese and using twitter.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (93 Views)
0 Likes