Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 24 2009
By: Haseo_Uchiha Lombax Warrior 222 posts

Sony please support the MKV format and streaming DivX on PS3!!!!!!!!!!

21 replies 190 views Edited Apr 24, 2009
I've just recently downloaded a HD video file with the extension of .MKV and as I tried to play it back, it says the format is'nt supported and I've been thinking, Sony should support the MKV format because majority of HD video content on the internet has the file extension of MKV (i.e. video.MKV) and its sickening to not view them on the comfort of my PS3, and they should also support streaming DivX videos through the PS3's internet browser because I want to watch HD streamed videos!!! these features MUST be added in the next firmware!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1716 posts

Re: Sony please support the MKV format and streaming DivX on PS3!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 24, 2009
The irony is (and there is a lot of SONY/PS3 irony) that the PS3 is DivX certified; DivX use MKV but the PS3 doesn't support it?

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde
Message 2 of 22 (190 Views)
Fender Bender
3399 posts

Apr 24, 2009

Most .MKV files are movies bigger than 4gigs. The PS3 doesn't like streaming files over 4gigs, just like it can't read files off the hard drive over 4 gigs.

.. and FUTHERMORE, do you realize you're reading my signature?!?

Gameplays, Reviews, Playstation Move videos, ect... www.youtube.com/farmhousemedia3000
Message 3 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3873 posts

Apr 24, 2009

The PS3 reads files bigger then 4 GB fine it reads >4 GB M2TS fine, Thats what MPG, VOB, AVCHD DVD and BD are for FILES bigger THAN 4GB stored on its internal HDD or Media server or PC HDD set up as a media server.. 

It also plays DivX 3.1-6.7 fine IF THE PERSON encoding file STICKS to DIVX profile and NOT XVIDs profile options while using systems that use the < DivX 6.7 codec encoders ONLY. it will even play with out using an out of date web plugin systems in full screen. if your connection is fast enough. If the site dont allow direct links get a better site. 

MKV was not added to DIVX 7 untill this year for commercial use in hardware. Stand alone DIVX players won't play DIVX 7, they will only play DIVX 6.

Commercial DIVX Products will need DIVX 7 logo and Will only play MKV with 1 type of Video stream (H264) and only 1 type of audio stream ( AAC 2.1-5.1). thats all.

Also the CPU powering the Device will need to be a Intell clone. DIVX did not pay for any PPC CPU libraries for DIVX 7 firmware.    

Each media servers limits are its own. One media server may be unable to do one service, thats the servers failure, not the DLNA client get a better media server with better CS support.  

Message Edited by GraphiteGB on 04-24-2009 12:41 PM
PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 4 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Apr 24, 2009
All you have to do is use this program MKV2VOB, it will convert it to  a PS3 video format. I use it all the time and it works great.
Message 5 of 22 (190 Views)
Survivor
2532 posts

Apr 24, 2009
Trust me guys, MKV is NOT worth it... MKV is a massive chunk of incompatible video format that does not transfer from ipod to cell phone, to psp, to ps3, to external drive. MKV isn't worth it, even if its free, lol. Just get regular PS3 compatible DIVX .avi and buy the BD of the movie later on.
Photobucket

Monthly Subscription for Online Multiplayer is an Xbox Policy

Message 6 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Apr 25, 2009
thanks brazen1 I'll go try that now
Message 7 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2201 posts

Apr 25, 2009

You can stream divx through the browser

I've gone to a page with divx movies and clicked a link for one, then a black screen pops up with a silver line wooshing back and forth and the word buffering above or below it :smileytongue:

Thing is even with my highspeed cable internet it buffers to slow to be useful, just cause I was curious I let it buffor for like 45 min and after a while it started to play the movie. But after five or so it started buffering again. So yeah it streams divx but its to uselessly slow to be used by anyone unless you have like t1 internet or something I dont even know

Message 8 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Apr 25, 2009
OMG!!!!!! thank you so much brazen1, I tried MKV2VOB and it worked!!! I managed to convert a MKV video to AVC and still keep both sound and picture quality at its best, thanks a million lol
Message 9 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

Apr 26, 2009

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

PS3 media server, i no longer store any media on my PS3's hard drive, everything streams or transcodes over in real time. Best media server out. 

Message 10 of 22 (190 Views)