Sep 17 2012
By: phaat-stax First Son 3 posts

Resolution problem on SDTV, need help

6 replies 229 views Edited Sep 17, 2012

Okay, so I have two second gen PS3's, both the same ( one doesnt spin discs, so i use it for other things). I plug in my one PS3 to my TV ( the one that i use for movies, music, internet etc.) And i get great resolution/quality, the pixels are nice, small and sharp, and the graphics on my games (the ones that are downloaded and demo's) are nice and sharp. Yet when i plug in my fully fuctional PS3 that i use for games i get terrible quality, the pixels are huge and the picture is 'cloudy', so I go to display settings, yet no matter which config i pick i stilll get the same horrible resolution... Then i boot up Bf3 and i cant read anything on screen, and the graphics are so terrible that i have trouble seeing any other players. Yet when i use my other ps3 on the same tv on the same game i get great graphis and picture.... What gives? Ever since i plugged my one ps3 into my hdtv i get horrible resolution, i reset the display to get it to work on this TV now i cant even make the reolution any better... Its like my Tv doesnt like my other ps3 lol... **bleep**?

Message 1 of 7 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Resolution problem on SDTV, need help

Sep 17, 2012
What kind of video cable are you using on the PS3 you are having issues with?
Message 2 of 7 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4351 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Resolution problem on SDTV, need help.

You posted SDTV, they don't have any resolution options

They only have 1 resolution and thats 480 in US and 576 in EU

They can have a few Aspec ratios 2.35:1 content 16/9 content and 4/3 content.

to go higher than that you need a HD cable..

snapshot6.png

Message 3 of 7 (214 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19614 posts

Sep 17, 2012

It certainly doesn't make sense, but it is the "good" one that doesn't make sense.  You shouldn't be getting "sharp" picture or "great" resolution from HD games on an SDTV.  Some PS3 games aren't even designed to have readable text on an SDTV.  What you report for the "bad" PS3 is what I would expect from using an SDTV.  It is the one you like that is a mystery.  If PS3 games delivered a "great" picture on an SDTV, then there would be little reason to bother with an HDTV.  As GraphiteGB already posted, SDTVs have only one resolution in each region.  A PAL (European) PS3 has a better resolution picture than an NTSC (North American) PS3 on an SDTV, but they aren't usually both compatible with the same TV, or dramatically different. If you are connecting two PS3s to the same TV, with the same cable, then they should have the same picture. What is the make and model of your TV? 

GKP
Message 4 of 7 (206 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Having same issues. The game resolution is magnified and the home screen on my 560g is oversized. Try resetting by holding start button in console and adjustment in system setting, no change. UNABLE TO READ ICON ON GAMES, WHETHER DOWNLOADED OR ON CD. Still waiting for answer from support.  

Message 5 of 7 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Sorry must add query, my system is connected  to a HDTV.

Message 6 of 7 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19614 posts

Oct 7, 2012

With what type of cable?  What resolutions are selected (checked) in the Settings>Display Settings>Video Output Settings screen?

GKP
Message 7 of 7 (163 Views)
0 Likes