Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 03 2013
By: superleaf444 First Son 8 posts

Putting in new hard drive question (I've searched it, just want to clarify something)

6 replies 111 views Edited Jan 3, 2013

I have an old slim p3. cech-2000 for those that are into model numbers. I was about to replace my 160HD HD with a 750gb HD (seriously PS plus gives me so much crap). 

So I after a ton of searching and videos trying to figure it out, I wanted to clarify one thing. 

It seems when I put in a new HD it will format. I then am left with the PS3 old 160 HD and a blank 750gb HD. I have a external cases, that I could plug the 160 HD in and then USB it to the PS 3. Could I restore my system that way?

Or would I need a 3rd HD and use the backup utlility to restore the newly formatted 750gb HD?

When purchasing the HD, I just assumed I could restore it using the old one, like...uh, my computer, but while I was getting everything ready I noticed that might not be the case.

Message 1 of 7 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Re: Putting in new hard drive question (I've searched it, just want to clarify something)

Jan 3, 2013

superleaf444 wrote:

I have an old slim p3. cech-2000 for those that are into model numbers. I was about to replace my 160HD HD with a 750gb HD (seriously PS plus gives me so much crap). 

So I after a ton of searching and videos trying to figure it out, I wanted to clarify one thing. 

It seems when I put in a new HD it will format. I then am left with the PS3 old 160 HD and a blank 750gb HD. I have a external cases, that I could plug the 160 HD in and then USB it to the PS 3. Could I restore my system that way?

Or would I need a 3rd HD and use the backup utlility to restore the newly formatted 750gb HD?

When purchasing the HD, I just assumed I could restore it using the old one, like...uh, my computer, but while I was getting everything ready I noticed that might not be the case.

I, too am planning on doing this down the road. I think that you may need to have a 3rd HDD for this because I think the PS Backup utility archives the drive (to an image), rather than cloning the filesystem.

Then, the PS Restore utility will look for an archive on the connected drive.

Mind you, I could be wrong. but hard drives are a dime a dozen these days (well, in comparison to what they were) and they do come in handy.

Message 2 of 7 (105 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: Putting in new hard drive question (I've searched it, just want to clarify something)

Jan 3, 2013

That is what I was thinking also. Thanks! I mean, I have a lot of harddrives considering what I do for money, but I just wanted to avoid backing those up, so I could format one FAT32 and blah blah blah. Was just trying to save time. 

Message 3 of 7 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Jan 3, 2013

superleaf444 wrote:

That is what I was thinking also. Thanks! I mean, I have a lot of harddrives considering what I do for money, but I just wanted to avoid backing those up, so I could format one FAT32 and blah blah blah. Was just trying to save time. 

I know what you mean, it can be a little inconvenient, maybe ask a friend If you can borrow one for the week (but be sure to back up their stuff), first.

Message 4 of 7 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Jan 4, 2013

superleaf444 wrote:

No. You need to use the backup utility. 

Message 5 of 7 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 4, 2013
I might be wrong here, i know from what research I did before I bought my HD to put into my PS3 (upgraded from a 40g one of the first ones that came out ages ago) that the max HD space a PS3 was only allowing people to upgrade to a 500GB I might be wrong though just something to look into before buying.
Message 6 of 7 (56 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 4, 2013

The best way is to use the built-in data back-up utility and make a backup of your old HDD to an external USB device such as an external HDD. It will back up all of your users, save games, pictures and music but may not restore any copy protected DLC. You can re-download any DLC content from the PSN that you purchased. On the PS3, I think you go to Transaction Management>Download List.

Regarding the max size issue, I have installed terabyte HDDs in all of my PS3 systems and they work great! Just make sure to get a 2.5" SATA drive. RPM doesn't matter as the system will run at 5,400 RPM anyway.  According to SONY support, there are currently no size limits for the internal  HDD.

One last note that may help. If your external USB HDD you use to back-up cannot be seen my the PS3, make sure it is formatted with FAT32 and NOT NTFS or exFAT.  There are many free utilities that will let you format a partition larger than 32 GB with FAT32. Also a POWERED USB hub will help with any power issues.  I had problems getting my WD Passport working on my PS3 slim and formatting with FAT32 & the powered USB hub took care of it.

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 7 (55 Views)
0 Likes