Highlighted
Mar 12 2013
By: ObiWanJacobi First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Probably a lost cause, but I'd like to hear from people who know

4 replies 135 views Edited Mar 12, 2013

Ok, so my roommate got an old 40gb fat ps3 from Craigslist for a too-good-to-be-true price so of course it's borked. First it was trying to install an update immediately at boot but failed at about 87% (never got a chance to connect to my home network so it had apparently already downloaded and failed to install). I tried the method I found for entering recovery (involved holding power to boot and turn off, then holding again until getting consecutive beeps), but it never did anything except trying to update the firmware (I assume). I found someone's advice to use Windows to format the HD using the computer management option, which I did. Now, when I plug in the ps3 and flip the back switch I get the red standby light. I press power, it beeps, and the red light goes off. The green light doesn't come on. Pressing power again does nothing (no beep even). Pressing eject gives me 3 beeps. There's no video or audio. 

I thought firmware was stored in lfash memory and not the hard drive? If that's the case, why does formatting the hard drive do anything to booting? The point of formatting, according to the advice I read, was so the Playstation would see it as not being formatted correctly and format it itself. It makes sense to me that formatting the hard drive won't fix corrupt firmware. But the plan was to be able to enter recovery and update firmware using a flash drive. Now it seems like I've made it worse.

Am I screwed? I'm not unwilling to buy a new hard drive if that would allow me to fix the actual problem, but I don't want to do it if the firmware is already beyond repair. Thanks for reading this giant wall of text. 

Message 1 of 5 (135 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21106 posts

Re: Probably a lost cause, but I'd like to hear from people who know

Mar 12, 2013

The PS3 System software was only stored in flash-ROM on the 60GB and 20GB PS3 models.  Later PS3 revisions store the System software on the hard disk drive.  The firmware is a different piece of software boots the PS3, formats the hard disk, installs the System software, and provides the safe mode recovery menu. Those functions are available even if there is no data on the hard drive. If a PS3 can't install a System update, and it is not a hardware problem with the hard disk drive, then the PS3 needs repair service.

GKP
Message 2 of 5 (109 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Mar 12, 2013
Ok, so I formatted the hard drive, thus erasing the system software on the 40gb model. But the firmware is screwed up, so it can't boot and format the disk correctly, which means it can't reinstall it.

So I need service, right? Even if I got a HD from a working PS3, the firmware is still messed up and wouldn't boot to recovery to install it from a flash drive. Is this right?
Message 3 of 5 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 12, 2013

sounds like you formatted the HD and wiped out the system software try following this link

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1189/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMz...

worked great when i upgraded the HD in my ps3 to 750GB

Good Luck!!!

or just do a search for reinstall ps3 system software

Message 4 of 5 (89 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21106 posts

Mar 12, 2013

ObiWanJacobi wrote:

So I need service, right? Even if I got a HD from a working PS3, the firmware is still messed up and wouldn't boot to recovery to install it from a flash drive. Is this right?

Yes.  If a firmware update fails, then the PS3 is "bricked", to use the popular term.  It requires skilled service to repair.

GKP
Message 5 of 5 (70 Views)