Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 16 2013
By: RPG4_life First Son 3 posts

Playstation 3 Corrupt/ Won't restore.

5 replies 3386 views Edited Feb 16, 2013

Hello everyone, I'm going to do myself a favor and put this as simply as possible, so it's easiest to answer.

System: 320GB PS3 Slim, bought 1 year ago.

Here goes.

A few days ago, my friend came over, and we played some games. (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, if it matters.)

The game froze, so as any regular ps3 owner would do, I pressed the green button to shut it off.

Upon turning it back on, it told me I needed to restore the system, because it was corrupt. It had no " O Cancel", Just an "X Start" thing.

I initiated the restore, only for it to end, and then restart the system to a screen that resembled the "Safe Mode" screen.

That's where it told me, once again, that I should restore it.

So, I did it. It got stuck at 50%, and I could tell it was completely frozen because the little clock/ loading spinning icon had completely halted.

This is when I decided to take matters into my own hands. I looked up similar cases, and found a few, all with the same advice.

"Try taking out the Hard drive, cleaning the dust off, and putting it back it." was the main point they had.

I did so, and It seemed to help, because the restore itself completely finished.

After that was done and over with, it once again wanted me to restore it. This time, I just shut the system off, and initiated safe mode myself. Upon trying to restore it, It restarted and went to a screen that pretty much told me to update it to the newest firmware via USB.

That was easy, I downloaded the 4.31 update from the site, and put it into the PS3> UPDATE format that it told me to do.

It initiated the "checking" part of the update, and to my suprise, it actually got to the "format" part. 

Then it froze at 99%.

I tried again, and again.

Every time, 99%.

I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong.. This is my second PS3, and I was hoping it'd be my last.

Is there anything I can to besides send it to Sony? Is this problem all just from my own impatience?

I really love the Playstation 3, it's the best system around, but I'm just curious as to whether or not Xboxes have this many issues. 

Thanks for any time that anyone puts into helping/ just reading this.. I appreciate it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (3,386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Playstation 3 Corrupt/ Won't restore.

Feb 16, 2013

Nobody..?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (3,377 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

Feb 17, 2013

You're not doing anything wrong, except for wasting your time.  Any time you turn off the PS3 without shutting it down properly, including when a game crashes, there is a possibility that the file system on the hard disk will become corrupted.  It depends on what the PS3 happened to be doing when it crashed, and there is nothing that you can do to prevent it.  If the file system is corrupted, then the PS3 firmware will attempt to fix the corruption the next time it boots the system.  The attempt may or may not succeed.  It depends on how much, and in what way, the data was corrupted.  If the restore attempt does not succeed, then the only thing that you can do is to use the Restore PS3 System option in safe mode to restore the system to factory state, and then restore the most recent backup that you made with the PS3 Backup Utility. 

If you haven't made any backups with the PS3 Backup Utility, and didn't backup your save data to a flash drive or Playstation Plus online storage; then everything that was stored on the hard disk, except your trophies and Playstation Store game purchases, is gone for good. You can always synchronize your trophy collection on the restored PS3 after you create a new user profile for yourself (assuming that you have been synchronizing your trophies with the server regularly), and any games or DLC that you purchased in the Playstation Store can be downloaded again.  That is all that you can get back if you didn't make any backups of your hard disk. If the PS3 did not restore the file system on its own, then nothing else can do it.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (3,367 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2013

I have 120 GB PS3 and the same thing happens its files got corrupted or something like that and it goes to 50 percent there the PS3 goes into a black screen and turns off by itself any ideas? I would like to take the hard drive out but i don't know where is it and how to take it out please help as soon as possible. by the way my Ps3 is not a slim but one of the modern one not the old one -_-

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (3,045 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

3 weeks ago

I am currently having this issue with my ps3. I am not very tech savy. I am unable to access safe mode because once I pull it up and it tells me to connect my controller...the dang controller wont connect. I just dont know what to do at this point.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (441 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17272 posts

3 weeks ago

wally456 wrote:

I am currently having this issue with my ps3. I am not very tech savy. I am unable to access safe mode because once I pull it up and it tells me to connect my controller...the dang controller wont connect. I just dont know what to do at this point.

Try a different USB cable. Try a different controller.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (413 Views)
0 Likes