Jan 02 2013
By: Richilg123 First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

PSU for slim model?

4 replies 79 views Edited Jan 2, 2013
Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums, so sorry if this is one of those questions that google easily answers Smiley Tongue but I've looked extensively and found nothing but info on the older fat models.

So my problem is that my friend's ps3 recently fell victim to some severe weather we've had recently. I'm not entirely sure of how it happened, but supposedly lightning struck his apartment and lots of bad stuff ensued, including the frying of his ps3. So he has model CECH-2501A (160 gb) and I've got a slim as well, the very first model in fact, CECH-2001A (120 gb).

I told him I'd take a look at it and see if my psu would get his console up and running again. But when I checked the specs of each psu, mine had different ratings, so now I'm hesitating to try my psu in his system. I'm here pretty much to look for a go or no go from people who know what they're talking about when it comes to swapping psu's.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter. That, or maybe someone could just tell me the straight fact of whether or not I can swap them.
Message 1 of 5 (79 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21106 posts

Re: PSU for slim model?

Jan 2, 2013

I've never had occasion to do that, but from an engineering perspective the risk is very low.  Both PS3 models have the same input voltage, and the same output voltages; so even if the power supplies are different, they aren't doing anything different. The PS3 main board has been revised a few times, but the chips do more or less the same things as the original 60GB PS3 from 2006.  You should be able to swap one PSU for the other without a problem.  Doing so certainly won't damage the PSU if you install it properly.  The worst that will happen is that the PS3 will detect the parts mismatch, and not boot successfully.  I doubt that will happen though.

GKP
Message 2 of 5 (68 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear that. I'm actually quite familiar with the design for the Xbox. And with that, I know you're capable of using something like a 203 watt psu with any system below that rating, so would you say the ps3 works the same way? Higher rated psu will work for systems with lower power requirements?
Message 3 of 5 (65 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21106 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Yes.  The capacity only needs to meet or exceed the system requirements.  If it exceeds them, then it doesn't matter by how much.  What matters is that the voltages on the output connectors are correct, and that each one supplies sufficient current.  As long as that is the case, the power capacity of the power supply does not matter.

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Gotcha, okay I just swapped them, and indeed it worked fine! Thanks a lot for your help
Message 5 of 5 (59 Views)
0 Likes