Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 15 2010
By: Redsight88 First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 won't work with my new HDTV using HDMI. Please help

41 replies 78048 views Edited Mar 15, 2010

Before you start, I DID read the other posts, but I couldn't find anything that worked.

Specifics:

PS3 160 GB purchased Holiday 2008

Insignia NS-L19Q-10A HDTV 720p 19"

Problem:

I can't get my PS3/TV to display anything when I use my HDMI cable. AV cables work fine in standard definition.

What I've tried:

1)Turning the power switch on on my PS3 and holding down the  power button for 5-10 secondsto reset the Video.

2)Going to Display settings while using AV cables and changing to HDMI  while the HDMI cable is plugged in, and checking to see if it worked.

3)Saying "YES" when the screen says "HDMI cable Detected, blah blah blah", and checking my TV's HDMI input.

4) Same as 1, but with HDMI cable plugged in only.

What happened:

1)I hear the startup sound(maybe because of AV cables), but no video shows up(Had my TV on HDMI input). A fuzzy screen shows up for 1 second and then the screen goes blank.

2)Blank screen(HDMI INPUT)

3)Blank Screen(HDMI INPUT)

4) Same thing as 1

Could anyone offer any possible solutions?

***Edit*** I got a 1080p tv and solved this problem a while ago. Sorry forn ot updating

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2767 posts

Re: PS3 won't work with my new HDTV using HDMI. Please help

Jun 7, 2009

Redsight88 wrote:

Before you start, I DID read the other posts, but I couldn't find anything that worked.

Specifics:

PS3 160 GB purchased Holiday 2008

Insignia NS-L19Q-10A HDTV 720p 19"

Problem:

I can't get my PS3/TV to display anything when I use my HDMI cable. AV cables work fine in standard definition.

What I've tried:

1)Turning the power switch on on my PS3 and holding down the  power button for 5-10 secondsto reset the Video.

2)Going to Display settings while using AV cables and changing to HDMI  while the HDMI cable is plugged in, and checking to see if it worked.

3)Saying "YES" when the screen says "HDMI cable Detected, blah blah blah", and checking my TV's HDMI input.

4) Same as 1, but with HDMI cable plugged in only.

What happened:

1)I hear the startup sound(maybe because of AV cables), but no video shows up(Had my TV on HDMI input). A fuzzy screen shows up for 1 second and then the screen goes blank.

2)Blank screen(HDMI INPUT)

3)Blank Screen(HDMI INPUT)

4) Same thing as 1

Could anyone offer any possible solutions?

Hook your PS3 up t a display that you know you can get a picture on. Go into your video settings und UNCHECK 1080i and 1080p. Only check 720p. Save your changes.

Now hook it up to your Insignia...and you should be good to go. I have to do this everytime I unhook mine from my 40" Samsung and hook it up to my 22" computer monitor. Like you...I was puzzled at first.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (78,048 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jun 7, 2009

When I use AV cables and try to change to HDMI in Display, the resolution selection screen doesn't show up, the screen just goes black after I click "change" when it asks if I want to stitch to HDMI. When i try to change resolution under component/d terminal, the screen goes back if I select anything other than NTSC.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jun 7, 2009

So when you plug it in through HDMI ONLY, and hold the power button down forever to make it drop back to default video modes, that still doesn't work? 

Have you tried other devices on this TV through HDMI?  I've got a Sony and a Samsung I've hooked mine to with no issues, so I'm not sure.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 7, 2009
That's right, it still doesn't work, Ive tried it with both HDMI and AV cables connected, and with HDMI only. It won't display anything.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (78,048 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

Jun 7, 2009
Are you able to test something else through HDMI on this monitor?  Like an Xbox 360 or Blu Ray player or something?  But you said this Playstation 3 DOES work through HDMI on a different monitor?

I'm kind of guessing it's the display (?)
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 7, 2009
I don't have anything else to test with HDMI. And I didn't say it worked with HDMI on another moniter. I said it worked on the same monitor using AV cables in standard definition, but it won't work in HDMI.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Jun 7, 2009

Ignore.

Message Edited by DarkCloudLives on 06-07-2009 03:20 AM
Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Jun 7, 2009
go to settings / display settings / RBG full range, put it on limited if it isn't allready, this may work.
------------------------------Signature------------------------
Buy and support ps3 exclusive games. Dont let the 8.4 Gb dvd dictate how big your 50 Gb blu-ray disc game can be, and shouldn't your native 1080p be alowed to look better then the artificiality upscaled 720 the others pass off as 1080. The realy mindblowing games of the future will be ps3 exclusives. ------- Multiplatform games hava a fundamental flaw. To be a multiplatform game, the game needs to be/look the same as possible on all shared systems. Each systems has its own strengths and weaknesses. The strengths of one system or another can not be used to improve a multiplatform game. Therefore a multiplatform game can not exceed the combined standards or weaknesses of all systems sharing the game. Only exclusive games have the potential to take full advantage of one systems strengths. think about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 7, 2009
There may be a chance that the HDMI connection on the tv is faulty as I had this happen to me.Best to try something else out on it and if that doesn't work then there is a good chance its the connection point or try cancelling all resolutions except 720 and try again.I had problems when downloading updates for certain games where other games I played wouldn't work afterwards unless I reset all my resoluton settings.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (78,048 Views)
0 Likes