Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 02 2012
By: Richarbro First Son 4 posts

PS3 won't start specific game

3 replies 430 views Edited Sep 2, 2012

Hi guys,

So earlier this week I ordered a pre owned version of WWE All Stars and it came in the mail yesterday. I was so excited to play it that I unpackaged it and went straight to playing it, but when I tried to start the game, it made the recognizable sound of trying to read the disc but it didn't start. Instead it sounded as if it was trying to eject the game but nothing happened. I thought it was due to the fact that it was heated from being in the package for a significant amount of time so I waited a little white,  but still nothing happened. The disc itself is in almost pristine condition, having no damage on the back but a small scratch on the front. I have a slender PS3 and I have heard about there being issues with it, but in this case I am highly doubtful that is the cause. I have also tried other games and they work fine. Please anyone, I really would hate to realize that I wasted $25 for nothing.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (430 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29126 posts

Re: PS3 won't start specific game

Sep 4, 2012

Richarbro wrote:

Hi guys,

So earlier this week I ordered a pre owned version of WWE All Stars and it came in the mail yesterday. I was so excited to play it that I unpackaged it and went straight to playing it, but when I tried to start the game, it made the recognizable sound of trying to read the disc but it didn't start. Instead it sounded as if it was trying to eject the game but nothing happened. I thought it was due to the fact that it was heated from being in the package for a significant amount of time so I waited a little white,  but still nothing happened. The disc itself is in almost pristine condition, having no damage on the back but a small scratch on the front. I have a slender PS3 and I have heard about there being issues with it, but in this case I am highly doubtful that is the cause. I have also tried other games and they work fine. Please anyone, I really would hate to realize that I wasted $25 for nothing.

If it's only happening with this game then I think it's very likely that it's this game/disc is causing the issue, I'd be tempted to return it for a refund/replacement.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (397 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14472 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Blu-ray disks can be damaged by heat, even if it isn't enough heat to warp or melt the disk.  The disk contains chemicals that are heat sensitive, which is how data can be stored, or erased, from the disk using a laser. Factory-made disks are more resistant to heat than BD-R or BD-RW disks, but they aren't impervious to heat.  If the package was left in the hot sun for a while, that could explain the problem.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (396 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 6, 2013

I was having the same issues.  The PS3 would play Call of Duty Black Ops 2 but would not display other games.  I was using a component cable.  I then hooked it up to a different TV with an HDMI cable and all games would work.  I found that the other games were not 1080 but 720.  The TV connected with the component cable did not support 720.  I deselected the 720 from the display types and everything worked fine.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (238 Views)
0 Likes