Nov 03 2012
By: Ronman1898 First Son 4 posts

PS3 won't play Blu-Ray disks

8 replies 482 views Edited Nov 3, 2012

Suddenly, my PS3 won't play Blu-ray disks.  It will play everything else, i.e. regular DVD's, Game disks, usb sticks, etc  I don't play a lot of Blu-Rays, but they have always played fine before.  I have upgraded to the latest firmware.  Is there any other area I should be looking at?

Message 1 of 9 (482 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
20628 posts

Re: PS3 won't play Blu-Ray disks

Nov 3, 2012

What happens when you try to play one? Game disks use the same hardware in the optical drive as PS3 game disks; so if game disks work then it isn't a hardware problem; unless the video disk is dual-layer, and the game disks are not.  Then it could be a hardware problem.

GKP
Message 2 of 9 (473 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Basically about ten to fifteen seconds after I load the disk, I get a sound as if the disk is being ejected, yet it isn't.  The movie never shows up in my VIDEO list.  I am having thhis problem only with Blu_Ray  and Blu-Ray 3D disks.  Regular DVD's and game disks play normally.

Message 3 of 9 (452 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 4, 2012

The player will not accept discs and will make an ejection sound every 20 seconds or so

Message 4 of 9 (444 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 4, 2012

The odd thing is that every once in awhile, most often if I leave the machine off and insert the disk and let it boot up that way, the disk will actually show up and play.  But it is getting less and less often, and on these occasions, the machine doesn't make the "eject" sound.

Message 5 of 9 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Jan 9, 2013

I have this EXACT problem. PS3 will play video games just fine, but when I put in a BD, it ticks for a few seconds and then SOUNDS like it's going to eject but doesn't eject. No titles show up in the video menu.

I talked to a lady at the Sony store, and I'm not going to say she didn't know what she was talking about, but she told me a firmware update would fix it. I have the latest version already (4.31 as I'm typing this) so I don't think that's the problem.

Did anyone figure out how to solve this problem?

Message 6 of 9 (325 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 19, 2013

this is exactly what's been happening to me within the last two wees!  I've been having a helluva time getting almost ALL blu-rays to play. DVDs, games (even Blu-Ray ones) play fine, but I have to insert, remove, insert remove, turn on/turn off, insert DVD, etc... THEN it will finally register the Blu-Ray. once that happens the movie plays fine. also as mentioned it sounds like it trys to eject, re-initialize, but then sits there.

firmware issue or hardware issue? will be **bleep** if its hardware. thoughts?

Message 7 of 9 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Is this blu-ray disk  you're trying to play from your own region? Movie blu-rays are region locked on  the PS3.

Message 8 of 9 (224 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Hi Hydra! Yes, these are all either my own BD discs or those rented from RedBox. It only started happening in the last week.

Message 9 of 9 (197 Views)
0 Likes