Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: PS3 turns off alone and red light keep flashing!!!

Jun 23, 2010

Yeah it happent to me yesterday. Turn it on and from green to yellow than finally blinking red light. It's a Japan 60GB launch model so yeah I'm screwed lol.

Message 11 of 83 (29,975 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jul 7, 2010

This is a serious issue. My ps3 stopped reading disc's so I gave it to Sony and they charged $150 to give me a new console.

Now with the ps3 the fans make too much noise, and after sometime it shows you system is too hot, the red light starts blinking and the ps3 switches off.

This happened to me few weeks back, what I did is unplugged my ps3 for a few hours, and then it was back to normal for a few days. This problem reoccurred after 3-4 weeks.The main cause is that the GPU heats up and needs to cool down If the problem persists just do as I did. Try this. If it doesn't work call Sony.

Message 12 of 83 (29,975 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jul 21, 2010

yea hi...........i read wut u said about the guy and can u give me his email or wutever so he kan fix mine

Message 13 of 83 (29,975 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 21, 2010

Got the same problem and only with Uncharted 2 as well.

Not a ventilation problem because I can play other games for hours and it still works just right.

I think we should get an answer directly from Sony.

Message 14 of 83 (29,975 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 17, 2010

mine did that about 5 minutes ago. soo pissed rite now.

anywhere were i can get it fixed??

Message 15 of 83 (29,975 Views)
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Aug 17, 2010

I'm sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

Message 16 of 83 (29,975 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 21, 2010

I have fixed this very easy on about 6 PS3s right now.

The problem is, the CPU/GPU chips are comming away from motherboard.

Also the Heatsink compound used at manufacture is rubbish and goes brittle and drys out, it does this on the CELL and GPU top heat sink (that mates to fans) and also under the heat sink on the CELL and the GPU.

If the PS3 is OOW, you have nothing to loose opening it up and attempting a repair on your own , it takes 10 mins to strip a PS3 , 30 mins to fix and 10 mins to put it all back together.

Take it all apart , clear all dust with a air duster. get down to the bare board.

you need a HEAT GUN (paint stirpper gun will do) now with the Mother board on a flat surface, and the CELL and GPU faces on the other side, heat the motherboard all over with the gun for a good 10 mins, with 5 mins to cool in between does this twice. (this will reflow the solder)

once done, clean all the old heat sink compond off the CELL and GPU chips and under the chip heat sinks and clean up the mating surface on the FAN heat sinks.

I use DOW CORING 340 heat sink compound, chuck that on the chips/heatsinks and fan heat sinks and put it all back together. ( I would avoid that Artic silver cack )

Plug it all back in , turn on and enjoy you PS3

Same process for fixing Xbox360s.

Its a combination of the crap solder and rubbish heat sink compond that we end up like this.

Message 17 of 83 (29,975 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Sep 9, 2010

Mine just did it too.  Been 30 minutes and red light still flashing.  I bought mine 4 years ago and have been gaming on it constantly.

Message 18 of 83 (29,975 Views)
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Sep 17, 2010

thats why a always carry a spare ps3 everywhere i go!

im on a horse! now im on a boat!

Message 19 of 83 (29,975 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 14, 2010

okay, so you have YLOD, yeah i had it and i thought i was gonna die lol.. but its all good. what you do, you find a cardboard box and put it on a table a high surface, then you put the ps3 all the way in the box backwards, and you blow dry the back of the ps3 (vents) on hot for 15 minutes then you take out your ps3 and place it on your table and put a fan on high/cool to cool down your ps3.. then your ps3 works and has all of its data, that happened to me.. if you don't know how to do it, go to this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buWpnrsQTTM

DKim_13
Message 20 of 83 (29,975 Views)