Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 07 2012
By: FiraGun90 First Son 7 posts

PS3 no longer reads discs ... Again

3 replies 315 views Edited Dec 7, 2012
Okay my PS3 recently started to stop reading Discs. It has done this before, about 3 months ago in August. I replaced the entire blu-ray drive and it worked like a charm for 3 months. Until now. I was playing GTA IV, then the game froze but the sound continued, just like when the first bluray drive broke. It wouldn't turn off by the button no matter what so I had no other choice but to hit the main power switch in the back. I then began to play Black Ops 2. I played for 2 games, then the game froze, same situation as before (sound frozen gameplay). It then began to not read discs, and after i put in Bridesmaids DVD about 4 times it worked and it played the entire movie. The next morning I was able to play black ops 2 for about 3 rounds then the game froze again. I thought if I played a DVD then a game it'd work but nothing ever came up. It's been about a week and from my observations it seems that the PS3 can only play discs for about 2 black ops 2 rounds then not play anymore until its been off for about 6 hours. I have tried other games and I can only do about 30 minutes of each every 6 hours. I have tried all recovery options, formatted a dozen times, replaced the hard drive, everything but replace the bluray drive. But it shouldn't be broken because its only 3 months old. I opened the ps3 to fijd that the discs sometimes doesnt spin, and when it does it spin, it spins for about 2 seconds then stops then repeats. I updated to firmware 4.31 and the problem still persists. Can anyone help me? The ps3 is a 2008 40gb model CECHG01
Message 1 of 4 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: PS3 no longer reads discs ... Again

Dec 7, 2012

FiraGun90 wrote:
Okay my PS3 recently started to stop reading Discs. It has done this before, about 3 months ago in August. I replaced the entire blu-ray drive and it worked like a charm for 3 months. Until now. I was playing GTA IV, then the game froze but the sound continued, just like when the first bluray drive broke. It wouldn't turn off by the button no matter what so I had no other choice but to hit the main power switch in the back. I then began to play Black Ops 2. I played for 2 games, then the game froze, same situation as before (sound frozen gameplay). It then began to not read discs, and after i put in Bridesmaids DVD about 4 times it worked and it played the entire movie. The next morning I was able to play black ops 2 for about 3 rounds then the game froze again. I thought if I played a DVD then a game it'd work but nothing ever came up. It's been about a week and from my observations it seems that the PS3 can only play discs for about 2 black ops 2 rounds then not play anymore until its been off for about 6 hours. I have tried other games and I can only do about 30 minutes of each every 6 hours. I have tried all recovery options, formatted a dozen times, replaced the hard drive, everything but replace the bluray drive. But it shouldn't be broken because its only 3 months old. I opened the ps3 to find that the discs sometimes doesnt spin, and when it does it spin, it spins for about 2 seconds then stops then repeats. I updated to firmware 4.31 and the problem still persists. Can anyone help me? The ps3 is a 2008 40gb model CECHG01

If that bluray drive has warranty try returning it for another to see if that's the problem. If its not I suggest upgrading to a new PS3 to save you time and hassle IMO. :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 4 (279 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 7, 2012
It does, a 1 year warranty and I was thinking of returning it. I was just wondering if there was a workaround
Message 3 of 4 (268 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 7, 2012

anyone else know if this is a software glitch before i send it in for a replacement?

Message 4 of 4 (243 Views)
0 Likes