Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 17 2011
By: fincher69 First Son 5 posts

PS3 has trouble playing Bluray, DVDs and games work fine

8 replies 134 views Edited Oct 17, 2011

Howdy all,

My parents have been using a PS3 as their bluray player for a while, but recently it has been acting up.  I brought it home with me so I could take a look at it and I can't figure out what is going on.  I tried playing two different bluray discs (300 and Batman Begins) and both did the same thing.  It acted like it was reading the disc, made a sound almost like it was trying to eject it, then read again then nothing.  After that it basically acts like there is nothing in the drive.  I have tested 2 different PS3 games and 2 DVDs and all have worked perfectly.  Any ideas as to what might be causing issues for bluray playback?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30449 posts

Re: PS3 has trouble playing Bluray, DVDs and games work fine

Oct 17, 2011

fincher69 wrote:

Howdy all,

My parents have been using a PS3 as their bluray player for a while, but recently it has been acting up.  I brought it home with me so I could take a look at it and I can't figure out what is going on.  I tried playing two different bluray discs (300 and Batman Begins) and both did the same thing.  It acted like it was reading the disc, made a sound almost like it was trying to eject it, then read again then nothing.  After that it basically acts like there is nothing in the drive.  I have tested 2 different PS3 games and 2 DVDs and all have worked perfectly.  Any ideas as to what might be causing issues for bluray playback?  Thanks!

Depending  on your PS3 model it will have one or two lasers, the two laser model has one for reading Blu-Ray's & the other for reading regular DVD's & CD's etc, I can only think that perhaps there is an issue with the Blu-Ray laser.

Message 2 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 17, 2011

It is a slim model and that's what I thought at first. But the two games I tried say that they are blu-ray and they play just fine.  So it seems to have to ability to physically read blu-ray discs, but won't play movies.

Message 3 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30449 posts

Oct 17, 2011

fincher69 wrote:

It is a slim model and that's what I thought at first. But the two games I tried say that they are blu-ray and they play just fine.  So it seems to have to ability to physically read blu-ray discs, but won't play movies.

That is a little odd, perhaps it's worth tying a disc/lens cleaner?, also is this happening with all movies or just some?

I'm not sure what else to suggest, sorry, good luck though!

Message 4 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 18, 2011

Mine is having similar issues but it's doing the same for games as well as blurays.  It's a slim & it sounds like it's trying to read the bluray/game then ejects it halfway and pulls it back in.  I know this does not help the original poster but I just posted a similar message.  You said you tried games on it and it works fine?  Mine will not read either but reads DVDs.  Gamestop sells a disc cleaner but the guy behind the counter did not sound too confident in it.  Anyone know a good brand to try?

Message 5 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 18, 2011

I have only tried 2 blu-ray movies, but I tried both of them on a different PS3 and they worked fine.  I am assuming that it is a firmware issue so that leaves me with two possible futures.  Sony does what they should and fixes it in the next software update (unlikely) or it remains a game only system unless I want to pay sony $150 to trade it in.  Unfortunately, either way, I lose.

Message 6 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 7, 2011

That's the exact same issue I'm having.  It's been going on for a couple months now I think, only just getting worse.  I have the Slim.  I don't particularly want to send my PS3 out for repair, especially with Christmas coming up.

Message 7 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Nov 9, 2011

the  lense is dirty the reason why it reads some games/dvd/blurays and  not others is that each disk  different amounts of data and reading requirements eg when mine was dirty some bluray films played fine but the film avatar played intermitttently in almost slow mo as the dirty lense was nt able to read the data quick  enough

Message 8 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 2, 2012

I tried cleaning my lens twice, both times with no result.  Looks like I'm going to have to buy a replacement lens (or a new drive).  I know I can get them on eBay, but it looks like all the sellers are technically the same person - hundreds of accounts selling the same item using the same feedback responses.  Are these scammers or legit?

Message 9 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes