Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 05 2011
By: LazyGamr Splicer 71 posts

PS3 freezing on startup

12 replies 10304 views Edited Jul 5, 2011

Ok so I don't quite understand what the problem may be here. Everytime I turn on my PS3 it boots up and shows me the xmb and whatnot, but it just stays there, I can move around and pick any option I want, but the minute I do so, the system freezes. It's not a complete freeze either, because I can hold the ps button on my controller and I can turn off the console from there. Once I turn it back on again there's no longer a problem. It only seems to happen when the PS3 has been turned off for an extended period of time. My ps3 is an 80gb which I bought in 2008, I keep it clean and use a vacuum cleaner every couple of months in order to remove any dust from within so I'm not sure why its having these problems. I think it started once I downloaded Infamous from the Welcome Back package, I never used to have problems with the system freezing before, but after installing infamous and playing through it, the system began to freeze at random parts of the game, and eventually the start up freezing began. Could it be a problem with the HDD? I appreciate any help on the matter!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: PS3 freezing on startup

Jul 6, 2011

Try going into Safe Mode and choosing the Restore File System option.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1488

You should make backups of your saved data if you get everything working again. A small USB thumb drive will store most saved game files.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Thanks, I'll be sure to post again once I've tried this out.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 8, 2011

Ok so something strange happened today, I turned on the system expecting it to freeze up again but it didn't, it worked right away like its supposed to, and I haven't done anything to it. I'm really confused. Actually, I forgot to add that I'm in South America at the moment and its winter season, could it be possible that due to the intense cold the system needs to warm up?? I ask since its been very cold these past couple of days, but today its quite warm and I had no problems with the system. Could room temperature be an issue?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Spoke to a cousin today and he started having the same problem as me. We're beginning to think that it actually has something to do with the firmware update 3.66 . It would be good to know if more people are having this problem because I find it's too much of a coincidence that another person is having the same issue as me after the update went live. Any thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Firmware updates are tested across a lot of hardware before it is deployed live to the update server. If it causes catastrophic damage, it's probably caught before it goes live. Sony determined it was safe before putting it online.

You're likely to find a few people in the same boat as you at any time. There are many PS3 consoles out there, at varying degrees of age. Firmware updates come out at a steady rate, and your hardware could break right after an update. Or it may come after the release of a very popular game like Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 or Modern Warfare 2. It usually is just coincidence. Put another way, if your PS3 fails, what do you expect it to be doing just before it failed? Probably playing your favorite game or finishing a software update.

Electronics don't get better with age, especially something as complicated as the PS3. Sometimes it's repairable, but it might be time for a new console. I've had to replace a console already, and so have my friends. If you speak to Sony Customer Service, you may convince them to let you trade in your old console plus cash for a refurb Slim. Sony has offered that repair option before. There are also third party companies that offer repair service if you want to keep backwards compatibility with PS2 titles.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Before you conclude that it's a hardware failure, try some more troubleshooting steps.

After you have backed up your data, try the Restore Default Settings option in the PS3 System Settings. If that doesn't do it, then choose the Restore PS3 System option to pave the hard drive and start anew. See if your games still start up.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 15, 2011

Many thanks for your response, I understand that my ps3 has some years on it already, but I'll be sure to try out the options you've mentioned. Thanks for your time and for your great response!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jul 17, 2011

I am having the same exact problem. I've done the Restore File Option and Option 5 on safemode. After I did option 5, everything seemed normal, tried playing Fallout New Vegas and it went back to its old habits. It wont play games and when I navigate thru the XMB it like short freezes and then it goes back to normal but eventually freezes completely. I have to unplug it since the power button wont work to turn it off. I have a 160GB slim, havent played for a week and a half now

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 17, 2011

Is your Slim still under warranty? If so, send it back to Sony for repair.

You should make backups of your saved data if you don't want to lose it. You can use a spare USB thumb drive and Saved Data Utility for all non-copy-prohibited saved data.

You can also try the Restore PS3 System option in Safe Mode to pave the drive as a last resort.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (10,304 Views)
0 Likes