Sep 28 2011
By: Sypherrax First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 formatting, system recovery issue

4 replies 5850 views Edited Sep 28, 2011

I have a 160GB PS3 that I bought less than a year ago. It's been reliable until a week ago when I tried to update to the newest firmware, where it got stuck at 99%. Attempts to boot it into safe mode failed, as it would simply end up at the update screen instead. I know I can send it in to Sony, but figured if it's a simple glitch I could fix it faster than waiting.

However, it's been a long road and there's no end in sight.

I took out the HDD(original drive) and used my PC to reformat it to FAT32. I didn't care about my data loss.

I downloaded the PS3UPDATE.PUP from sony's site and put it on my usb flashdrive(FAT32) using the PS3>UPDATE folder structure.

• I turn on the PS3
  • SYSTEM MESSAGE: "The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system. If the system cannot be restarted, you must reinstall the system software. Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.70 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time. "
  • I plug in my usb drive
  • Hit START and SELECT.
  • SYSTEM MESSAGE: "Checking... Please wait." for a few mins and then "A serious error has occurred. Contact technical support for assistance. (8002f281).

Not to be deterred, I decided to try and restore the PS3 to the default settings from the Safe Mode

• I turn on the PS3
  • Boot into Safe Mode
  • Select "Restore PS3 System"
  • Accept the warnings about data loss, earthquakes, apocalypse, etc.
  • SYSTEM MESSAGE: "The hard disk cannot be accessed"

At this point I'm at a loss, could I be missing something? I've done some searching on the net to try and figure it out, the only other thing I see is to try formatting it into NTFS, which I don't understand since PS3 doesn't use it correct?

Message 1 of 5 (5,850 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Re: PS3 formatting, system recovery issue

Sep 28, 2011

Welcome to the PlayStation Community! Thank you for organizing your question neatly; that's a huge help for me.

Your system may be bricked. But, please wait for a second and third opinion (BRIT-KO and Logical_Dolphin, I'm looking at you), as I don't know everything.

First of all, you've fallen victim to a VERY common misconception. The INTERNAL HDD of the PlayStation 3 does not use FAT32 or NTFS. It uses a file system unique to the PS3 usually refered to PSFS or XMBFS. If you boot a PlayStation 3 with a HDD formatted in FAT32, the system will treat it as corrupt and attempt to restore it. The only time you need to use FAT32 is for EXTERNAL hard drives.

Since you are using a newer system, the firmware is stored in two pieces. The critical core that boots the system is stored on a NAND chip, and the non-essential part is stored on the HDD. Your system is booting from the NAND chip, but getting stuck because the rest of the FW is missing from the HDD. So it asks you to insert update media so it can reinstall the firmware.

I would think that Drive Formatting would be considered a core component, and the system would format the 'corrupt' HDD before trying to reinstall the the FW. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like it fails because it cannot format the HDD.

If I'm correct, your system is bricked. But somthing about my conjecture just doesn't seem...right.

Message 2 of 5 (5,850 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 28, 2011

It could be a bunch of things. Maybe the firmware update cannot load itself onto the internal flash storage. It's time to use that warranty.

Message 3 of 5 (5,850 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 29, 2011

Thank you both for your help, in the end, I did have to send it in for repair. Turn around time was relatively painless, outside of my grumbling about the system keeling over in the first place.

I selected Sonic42's reply for the correct answer since it gave plenty of information about the reformat misconception.

Again, thank you both for your help.

Message 4 of 5 (5,850 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Actually you can get a laptop hdd stick it in. Boot firmware from USB and wala. Good as new. (Doing so you could damage your wifi card) so try at your own risk. Works for me though.
Message 5 of 5 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes