Nov 08 2012
By: DarMar106 First Son 7 posts

PS3 YLOD...what now?

3 replies 136 views Edited Nov 8, 2012

So here's the gist...I have one of the PS3 Fats, the 60gb. Back when I first bought it it was 600 bucks. Anyhoo many a month went by and it was a loyal piece of entertainment hardware...until a little bit before the summer of this year, I'd say May. One day my PS3 wasn't reading any discs...I tried blu rays dvds from different studios, various video games nothing worked. Prior to this I noticed my PS3 didn't read all blu ray discs, notably Paramount for some reason. Anyway I took it to a local repair guy and I needed a new laser. 100 bucks later he fixed I took it home...nothing happened, still not reading. I took it back and he told me the laser was defective so he put in a new one free of charge. After that things were fine, no complaints, pretty much the whole summer. Then I'd say early September I was playing Darksiders 2, my PS3 was getting heavy use because I was really into the game and from what I can surmise nearing the end. I played maybe an hour and a half then all of a sudden mid playing it just shut off...the only indication of something wrong was a red blinking light on the console. So I went back to the guy who fixed it before...told me he could fix it for 45 dollars. He did and in the process he had to replace the laser a 3rd time which was odd...so he fixed it I took it home...I didn't play a game or video but I did wacth netflix...no problems..didnt shut off or anything things seemed fine. Then I tried playing a game and I discovered it wouldn't take my discs again...I told him this and I think he decided to get out and offered me a refund...in my stupidity though I tried shoving my Darksider 2 game inside so now its stuck in there and little after that it YLOD again. So now it seems my option is to buy a new PS3...is there a way to sell my old one for cash? Also is there a way to get my data off my old PS3? I really don't want to start Darksiders over again

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2597 posts

Re: PS3 YLOD...what now?

Nov 8, 2012

Maybe. If you can manage to get the PS3 to live just long enough to transfer save data to a USB Flashdrive you may just have it okay. I don't recommend taking out the HDD and shoving it in your new PS3 though since it would Re-Format it and you'd lose it.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (128 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 8, 2012
Unfortunately you can't retrieve or transfer data from your YLOD PS3 unless you get it fixed first...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 12, 2012

So an update...I took it back to the guy...he was going to give me a refund, and get the game out. Strangely enough once he did, put back together I decided what the hell hook it up and see what happens...it turns on, no YLOD, accepts discs like normal, and reads them as well. Soooooo Idk what know should i be happy that its working or abandon ship and upgrade to a Slim? For me the only thing the Fat has going for it is the backwards compatibility but i dont play my PS2 games often and I can always find a cheap, used PS2...hell I think I still have my old one

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (91 Views)
0 Likes