Its not your HDD, mine is doing the same thing. Formatted it and installed the latest version of ps3 software, when I put it back in my ps3 it does the same thing, but when I put it into my roommates ps3 it works. Im using HDMI setting going to try AV and hopefully ill get it to work but I feel like that's not the problem because I still see the wave and can hear sounds. Im really lost no clue what's wrong
Ok I have spent all day with thisw issue and I think I finally found a solution. Sin ce I couldnt find the answer ANYWHERE ELSE AND WAS HUGELY FRUSTRATED (I have now come here to be a good samaritan.
MY update borked my hard drive. I dont know what caused this. IT completed a formatting progress bar on the ps3, then the screen went balnk for an hour. I truned it off to try and activate safe mode. I could not activate safe mode (I was doing the right button presses, it just wasnt working).
The solution was this:
1. Redownload the update data from Playstation (I'm a UK member, but use which version is right for you). When I got the ps3 active again (as per the next steps) I needed this. The redownloading is necessary as I think the first download mustve got corrupted somehow and caused the whole problem
2. The blank screen was caused my an HDD failure in the ps3. I think it mustve got corrupted somehow when updating. I knew the hard drive was broken not the rest of the ps3 as when I booted with no HDD I got a working screen which said 'no storage facility' (or something similar) - better than a blank screen but I need the HDD working of course
3. The next bit is how to fix your HDD. You need a HDD USB casing to connect it to your pc/laptop. Once connected it should beep (to show connection to the pc) BUT for me it wasn't showing up as a usuable disk. I had to right click 'computer' (from the start menu) and select 'manage'. The select disk management (under storage). you should see you pc hard disk and the PS3 HDD in the screen. The key thing is where the PS3 HDD say 'not initialized' you right click and then initialise it. This makes it appear on the pc computer menu and brings your HDD back to life!!!! I dont know if the next step is needed but I did it:
4. I dpwnloaded an app to my pc to format the PS3HDD to fat32 file system. There are loads but this worked for me http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat
I then put the HDD back in my ps3.....and it worked. I have been searching and playing all day to get this fixed. Typing this up now as my data is restored, hope you find it helpful
Unfortunatly, the process is more likey to fail than succeed. All you can do is try it 2 or 3 times and then start saving manually. You can save game saves, vids, pics, and music directly. But, redownloading your games will require using your download list and re-downloading each game manually. THAT will take time. But of the HDD back-up/restoration process stalls, that's your only option.
your sysytem is still good and your hard drive is still good, this just seriously just happened to me today and yesterday. i tried everything i was told with no luck. i did safe mode and my ps3 just turned off it did not beep tree times like i as told. it just turned off.... so i was left with no safe modde or the menu. i downloaded the system update on a flash drive and istalled it on my ps3 turned the system on and it let me do clear everything back to factory setting and then it works just fine for me ....weird.. here is the link https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/det
istall the update with a suv or flash drive and it will work just fine again
1. Restart in safe mode
2. Select option 5, restore ps3 system (this will deleted all game data)
3. As soon as your system restarts, shut it down properly using the ps button ( I say this because mine started normally the first time and within 5 minutes wanted to restore system files again.
4. Restart in safe mode
5. Select option 3, restore file system
I had to do this 3 times. Each time I would get the restore loop. My ps3 would go to a black screen, restart and want to restore again. Each time I would get a little further into the restore. First it was 31%, then it was 43 %, and finally it completed the file system restore and I am back up and running. I hope this works for you please reply if it does or if it doesn't.