Fender Bender
3412 posts

Re: PS3 Slim bricked after 4.31 upgrade attempt

Nov 5, 2012
Lol not all the attention I received is attention I want. I have a whole gaggle of people inside home "trying" to freeze me now or something. Still never got much attention from customer support. Just more emails and survey requests. And still no refund to my wallet either. I do still understand and support your ranting though. Just wanted to point out that doing so hasnt granted me any additional attention from the support team about my original problem.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (2,135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 6, 2012

SAME THING HAPPEN TO MINES SAY RESPOND I GOT FOR THE SONY REP. The is some ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (2,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

Ok all. I've had the real crappy symptoms of freezing PS3 and no flist loading after the 4.31 upgrade.

After days of searching it seems like 1000's of people have some issues related to the 4.31 firmware. Unfortunately it seems we're just a blip in the pool of PS3's sold numbering in the dozens of millions (66mil as of march 2012), so Sony doesn't give a flying rat's anus.

But I did find a fix for mine.

Just replace the HDD. Lots of you tube vids and threads for this. It's the same process for fixing a YLOD system.

My opinion of this attitude from Sony paints a pretty dismal customer service and product model.

"yeah we break some units but go eff' yourself because we sell millions anyways"... fail.

I work in RnD for a broadcast equipment manufacturer. I understand how a simple upgrade process works and yes maybe it has the potential to mess up a system (especially if its not tested to the 9's). But mine finished properly at 100% and I still ended up with a useless freezing PS3. I also think its ridiculous that a "factory reset" process can't fix any issue caused by a faulty firmware upgrade.. flying rat's anus ridiculous.

None the less, you'll need to shell out for a new HDD if you don't have a spare. Seems to work fine for me after.. Do this before giving Sony one red cent for "servicing" their own mistake.

Replace the drive, restart, it will ask for USB firmware upgrade. Install the accursed 4.31 (or latest). It reboots and says something about system unstable or cant boot or something scary but it's ok. It will run a system file check and boot normally to XMB. Re-activate your PSN account (enter the email and password), then I was up and running perfectly.

If you can, back up your game saves because you can put them on your new HDD.

You might even be able to have the same effect if you take the current HDD out and format it in a computer... maybe, that's a groundless theory but it should be like getting a new HDD from the store. Make sure it's a full format and not a quick format. **again groundless but might save you some pennies.

Like I said, this fixed my system. If it does not recover yours.. well maybe you need to work an extra few shifts towards a new entertainment system, count yourself unlucky and a casualty of the Sony monopoly...

FYI, I'm posting this on a few forum threads that helped me come to this conclusion.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (2,043 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 14, 2012

i'd jus likr to say after scanning through this feed that it is definitley not the users fault as i had a white ps3 putchased 3rd sep '12...worked fine..downloaded update and experienced no interruptiond during update and then it started crashing during games or jus whenever i tried to sign in also after system restore it would crash before even getting to the xmb home screen.i was annoyed but these things happen and as i am still under warranty i took it back to game and exchanged it for a new one.no worries we would think.

..............since monday i have exchanged 3 new white slimlines and today as i assumed it was a batch fault with the white ones i got a black one and even this one right now has just done the same **bleep** thing......so blatantly...an update fault on some

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (1,546 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Check this out.... did you ever think to go into safe mode and perform the PC update method from there instead of whining and crying? 
Your PS3 was caught in an update loop due to a failing hdd.

Leaving the PS3 unplugged does NOTHING. The PS3 is not a living thing, it does not fix itself.

ranting and raving gets you nowhere..... being calm, collected, and asking questions gets you places.
Did you also know that before anny update goes live, Sony has to verify the update is stable? 

Posting a duplicate thread is also not the best way to get a response because all it will do is confuse people and they will not want to help you at all.

If the method above does not work, then its likely an issue that the hdd is dead. The update was only a coincidence because it might have been that a bad sector was on the portion of the drive where the firmware/OS exists causing the issues that you experienced.

Maybe you should Google search how lack of electricity is the only way to clear random access memory modules (AKA RAM, or in terms you might understand "Magical Remember Sticks"). Love how you followed the flaming with completely incorrect information and then wrapped it all up with some self righteous BS about a parachute.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (1,099 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Mine just stopped reading disks after 4.31. Everybody that says it's a coincidence just didn't search this forum yet. It has a lot of people (including me) complaining about their PS3 systems stop working after the update. The thing is they can say it's stable for ONE model of PS3. But PS3s made in different countries can use different blu-ray lasers, which lead us to a different set of drivers to work properly on each model. Just hopping Sony stops throwing their mistakes at their consumers and fix this *bleep*ed up firmware.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (895 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 20, 2013
could be hard ware issue or hdd i heread in past hdd would coast when upgraded they had to update system playstation 2 same 1frist 2nd 3rd best playstation 3 1 modle no good second so 3rd best ps4 1st modle suck 2nd so 3rd best playstation 4 i wont by intill i see if does same what to playstation it gets hot then dwon coast problems then third modle they fix problem they do same with playstation 4 what to buy
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (885 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 22, 2013

This might be old now, but yesterday i baught a ps3 slim from my neighbour (he upgraded too the new 500gb slim)

im also playstation plus. he sold it too me "not reading disks", and considering im playstation plus, ive already got about 20 or more games.

I had it online for a day, shut down too play some xbox, and then 4.31 was manditory when i wanted too play some ps3 again..

so i downloaded fine, now i too, am stuck in this loop of updating.. i reach 96% then it fails, like clockwork.

Yes, i replaced hard drive, and downloaded 4.31 update via my pc, put on an 8gb USB stick, formatted to FAT32, in "PS3", "UPDATE", then  "PS3UPDAT.PUP", and it doesnt find the update.. its been "checking" for over an hour now, and the update is the only thing on the usb stick.

So

-its NOT my hard drive(s)

-and it wont install 4.31/

ive got a ps vita (for about a year now), multiple psp's, i salvaged an old PHAT PS3 for the in laws, and now my investment in a PS3 seems like a waste of money.. its deffinatly the firmware, and I dont think i'll be renewing my playstation plau when it runs out..

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (647 Views)
0 Likes