Sep 29 2012
By: SenseiEaos First Son 3 posts

PS3 Not connecting to Wifi

19 replies 12163 views Edited Sep 29, 2012

The past couple of days or so I've been encountering this issue with my PS3 where its been taking some time to connect to my wifi or not at all. As of today it wont connect at all. All the while my xbox, my desktop, ipad, ipod, laptop will. I've power cycled everything at least 3 times, gone through the basic wireless internet settings for my router and ps3 and still does not connect.

Is there anything I can do? I live in a 4 person house so I dont want to interrupt the internet if possible.

Message 1 of 20 (12,163 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: PS3 Not connecting to Wifi

Sep 29, 2012

This is happening to me too. I was playing BF3 and then suddenly I got a message that my connection has been lost. I tried signing back on but it kept saying like IP Address time out or unable to obtain IP Address. My laptops are connected to the internet just fine. i dont know what's going on Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 20 (12,160 Views)
MVP Support
27085 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 30, 2012

The first thing that you should do if you have Wi-Fi connection problems is to move the PS3 close to the access point, and see if you still have the problem there.  Just because your laptop can access the wireless network just fine in your bedroom, doesn't mean that the PS3 can also.  Different devices have different wireless chip-sets, antennas, and case designs.  They can have significantly different wireless reception strength in the exact same physical location. The wireless signal indicator in the PS3 is not accurate, and you can't rely on that either.  If the PS3 connects just fine when it is in the same room as the wireless access point, then the signal was too weak where you had the PS3 originally.  You need to install a Wi-Fi Extender to boost the signal, or use a different way of connecting the PS3 to the router; such as power line networking.

GKP
Message 3 of 20 (12,134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 30, 2012
That really doesnt help my problem. This has just started to happen so I am not going to buy something to make it work. If everything I have works excluding my ps3 then it's something on the ps3 end not my connection.
Message 4 of 20 (12,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 1, 2012
It's becoming quite comical to see gkpama00 respond in all these threads coming up with suggestions and solutions to everyone's problems. When in reality this as well as most of the other issues that have come up over the last few weeks are likely directly related to the 4.25 update.

Gkpama00 when are you going to finally come to the realization that you're wrong? I have a feeling that this bug is affecting many more than the 10% of users like you've claimed. It's just that there are different symptoms so the true % can't be calculated. Some users don't even really realize there's a problem. I asked a friend if his ps3 was having problems and he said no. Told him what mine were doing and he said now that you mention it, mine has been giving me the improper shut off warning as well.

Bottom line is that this is a 4.25 update issue and I'm guessing one day you'll realize it.
Message 5 of 20 (12,107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

fulms wrote:
It's becoming quite comical to see gkpama00 respond in all these threads coming up with suggestions and solutions to everyone's problems. When in reality this as well as most of the other issues that have come up over the last few weeks are likely directly related to the 4.25 update.

Gkpama00 when are you going to finally come to the realization that you're wrong? I have a feeling that this bug is affecting many more than the 10% of users like you've claimed. It's just that there are different symptoms so the true % can't be calculated. Some users don't even really realize there's a problem. I asked a friend if his ps3 was having problems and he said no. Told him what mine were doing and he said now that you mention it, mine has been giving me the improper shut off warning as well.

Bottom line is that this is a 4.25 update issue and I'm guessing one day you'll realize it.

Just so I'm clear, I'm not saying GKP is right about this, but I don't think this is related to the 4.25 update. I'm having the same problems but haven't updated yet. I haven't been able to connect to even get the update.

@SenseiEaos: I'm in a similar situation. All other wifi devices connect fine except PS3. This is actually the second time I'm having this problem. I don't know how it got fixed/resolved the first time. Just left it off for a few days then it somehow worked and was connecting fine. I think in my current case it might just be that there's stuff that might be blocking the signal. Currently in the process of cleaning out and reorganizing the attic space so there's a lot of stuff piled up around my room(where the PS3 is) in places that are usually clear(relatively). This might have been what happened the first time too now that I think about it. Maybe something similar is going on at your place? In which case, unless you can move stuff around now and clear space around the PS3 room, gonna just have to wait till things are cleared up.

Message 6 of 20 (12,087 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Just tried checking the PS3 again earlier. Somehow it works properly again as in it's able to connect fine. Haven't done anything to either the system or the router. I suspect it probably might be a PS3 hardware issue but I'm no expert on the matter so I can't say for sure. 

Message 7 of 20 (12,037 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: PS3 Not connecting to Wife

Dec 26, 2012

Not getting IP address no connection

Message 8 of 20 (11,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 26, 2012

was working and just stoped

Message 9 of 20 (11,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 29, 2013
100% signal and still can't connect. I've restarted my router and ps3 several times.
Message 10 of 20 (10,746 Views)