Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
3 posts

Re: PS3 Freezing on netflix

Dec 24, 2012

I dont think the majority of us with this problem are having internet issues. 

I can run two or three devices, using Netflix, zero problems.  PS3 + netflix major problems. PS3 + you tube/online gaming no problems. 

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 64 (3,066 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 27, 2012

I have had similar issues with netflix. The problem is on Sony's end. Before the 4.25 update netflix would freeze when trying to pause or fast forward. After the update I can not get past the screen for choosing regular netflix or netflix for kids. I have tried all of the steps to correct this that have been suggested and still no success. Netflix works fine everywhere else in my home, PC, laptop and wireless blu-ray player, and cell phone. Sony it is time for you to fix the problem. Quit blaming everything else. FIX IT!!

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 64 (3,013 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 4, 2013

We have been having the same problem.  We have two PS3s. The "newer" one we got about a year ago is the one having the problem.  We also have Armstrong. Everything is on a wireless home network. I don't know why everything else in the house works fine...the ipad, laptops, desktop, and the other PS3 can stream netflix without any problems. It is very frustrating!  Tonight we reinstalled Netflix. After signing in, it took us to the "choose" page (netflix or netflix for kids), and it was stuck there. Couldn't do anything, so had to hard reset. I hope we get a true answer on how to fix this.

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 64 (2,960 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 5, 2013

I had exact same issues, then followed the advice on previous page (switch everything off, hand unplug for just over 30 mins) , which fixed the issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 64 (2,920 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 12, 2013

So I have been having this issue for a while now.  Like a few others having this problem I also have Armstrong ISP in Cecil County, MD.  Every other device I have works fine.  I can use Netflix on my phone, desktop PC, laptop PC, and Wii without any issues.  After lots and lots and lots of testing the only solution that has worked for me was to use a different DNS server.  But I have only had it set up this way for a few days so I don't know if this is a permanant fix.

As far as I can tell the problem is a combination of an issue with the DNS server and the Netflix software/PS3 software being unable to handle getting the wrong info (or no info) from the DNS server.  Which raises the question as to why Netflix wouldn't just use the IP adresses of their servers instead of having to do a DNS lookup.  I think a good first step for all companies involved would be to at least acknowledge that there is an issue.  

On a side note, some people have said that changing their DNS server has slowed their download speed so I just want to clarify how DNS servers work and why they don't affect download speeds.  When you try to go to "www.google.com" your computer connects to the DNS server and sends a request for the IP address of the website.  The DNS server sends back "74.125.224.72" and your computer then connects to Google(in this example).  The amount of time you are connected to and using the DNS server is measured in milliseconds.  While it may affect the initial response time, as soon as you connect to the desired site your bandwidth is based on the speed of your ISP and the system you are downloading from.  There are other factors but your DNS server is not one of them.  

Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 64 (2,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 14, 2013

I changed my DNS settings over a month ago to those outlined a few pages back (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and haven't had a problem since on any of my PS3 systems.  I never had a problem with any other device before or since.  Hope this works for some more folks with or without Armstrong.

MjC

Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 64 (2,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Same here, WPA, Armstrong, 8.8.8.8 fixed it.  Who is actually responsible for the Netflix app on PS3?  Seems like Sony should fix whatever is allowing an app to totally crash the system.  Sony/Netflix should tell Armstrong what name they are trying to resolve when the DNS error brings down the system.  This has been going on way too long!

Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 64 (2,626 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Anyone come up with a solution on this yet? I also have Armstrong in Medina, OH. I was having this problem for a while, it went away now it's back again and worse than ever. I can't even get on Netflix now without the system freezing and locking up. I don't know much about this thing, I see people talking about the DNS server, how do I change that?

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 64 (2,564 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 26, 2013
I too have been having a freezing problem for months. Started out with just pausing and such, now complete freeze at home screen. I tried changing DNS info as suggested . Didn't resolve problem. So, I went back to default. I *may* try again.

I agree with jitguy ... "Sony/Netflix should tell Armstrong what name they are trying to resolve when the DNS error brings down the system. This has been going on way too long!"
Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 64 (2,388 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 1, 2013

Well I guess I have joined the ranks of the freezing and mine started after I purchased a game and set the ps3 to auto update I have had it for over a year without a single problem and now it freezes while playing sometimes crashing the ps3 called netflix they blame it on playstation call playstation they blame it on isp I have 30mps spent all day on the phone and now feel like a tennis ball the problem is obviously with playstation app netflix works on all other devises in the house except for ps3. I'm in central FL and have brighthouse and have no problems on that end I will be trying the unplugging for 30 min to see if that works but playstation should really fix this problem and stop blaming everybody and their mother.

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 64 (1,251 Views)
0 Likes