Aug 22 2012
By: TheProdigalSquid First Son 1 posts

PS3 Controller Battery Drained,Won't Charge or Sync

10 replies 11853 views Edited Aug 22, 2012

After an evening of playing MW3 with my friends,I turned on Netflix and fell asleep.
I wasn't paying attention to my controller's charge level so apparently it died while I was sleeping.
I tried to turn it on again today,after plugging it in,resetting the controller with the pinhole and reading every forum I could find that might help me solve this problem,I still can't get my controller to charge or sync. 

The controller unplugged does nothing,no lights flash. 

When you plug it in,the four red lights flash steadily as if it were charging.

I left the controller plugged in for an hour(long enough for the sleep timer to activate) and it still isn't charged enough to sync.

Like I said,I tried resetting the controller with the pinhole but no success.

It seems unlikely that a PS3 controller would be rendered useless just because I let its battery deplete.

Or,maybe the battery just reached the end of its road and its time for me to buy a new one?
Has anyone had this problem before?
Please help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (11,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 Controller Battery Drained,Won't Charge or Sync

Feb 3, 2013

Find out any answers?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (11,341 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
551 posts

Feb 4, 2013
I can only think of the 'battery has suddenly committed Seppuku' reason, as you have tried everything else.

Does it work like normal whilst it is pugged into the PS3? Perhaps run it like that for 30 minutes or so, then unplug it.

This may not work, but it's the only straw I'm clutching at at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (11,327 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1421 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Leave the controller connected with usb cable when the 4 lights flash press the PS button. It should auto sync.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (11,319 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
170 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Buy a new one! Waite  a few days & put the broken one in the box & return it!

(The batterie is fried)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (11,311 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Hello sir, Iwould suggest that you buy a PS3 controller charging stand, no plugging or unplugging. Also, I think it would be a new time to buy a different controlller because if nothings flashing, the I would say that the controller is probably dead now. 

Thank you,

MJLEGEND_1018

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (11,305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 6, 2013

i've had this happen to me multiple times.   I even bought replacement batteries the first time it happened because, from what I have read, if the lithium battery gets completely discharged, it won't accept a recharge anymore.  I don't think this is entirely true, though, becuase the fix below worked for me even though my controllers seems to have been completely discharged.  

This is what worked for me:   I unscrewed the controller, unhooked the internal battery, let it sit for five minutes, then reconnected it and put it all back together.   It would then take a recharge just like new.   

I've had my PS2 since Jan '08 and have done this at least twice with each controller and they still work fine and take charges fine.   I'm a casual player and only play for about 5-10 hours a week, though.    But, luckily, I've never had to take the replacement batteries out of the packaging yet.  

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (11,298 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 6, 2013
I went to California for a week in January and it apparently got freaking cold while I was gone; my DualShock no longer charges, but it at least works when it's plugged in.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (11,295 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Mar 5, 2013

Freezing is very bad for lithium batteries.   Makes them not work.  Especially cell phones.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (11,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

There is 1 way to fix  A dead Battered Controller without buying a new one.

1:You have to buy a replacement battery,just unscrewed 5 screws on the back of the dead Battered Controller.Once you unscrewed them all,carefully open the controller cuz if ya don't,the R2,R1,L1,and L1 buttons will fall off.The You'll see a dead battery in the middle that's connected the box,carefully pull the white box from tan colored box until it was disconnected,than throw away the dead battery.Take the new replacement connect the battery to the tan colored box.Than carefully put the tap of the controller,then rescrew 5 screws,and the press the Home button. If see a red flash is flashing,and The Playstation 3 is one,your done,and enjoy playing games.

Tip 1:Most New Batteries have "how many hours will last your controller" on the back with a white sheet.

Tip 2: Put the 5 screws in a safe place after you unscrew them on the controller,or otherwise it will get lost.

Watch the tutorial video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWk4MBiu0a4

Hope this helps:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (10,308 Views)
0 Likes