Oct 29 2011
By: Mazi_94 First Son 5 posts

PS3 Beeps once and then turns off?

8 replies 2614 views Edited Oct 29, 2011

Yesterday I had tried hooking up my hard drive to my PS3 (I have a 160GB PS3 slim). When I had tried hooking up the hard drive it hard turned off. So I went to start it back up but there was no light. After flicking the switch off then on at the mains, the red standby light came on. When I press the on button the PS3 beeps once, the the red light turns to green, the eject logo and power logo become white. Then the green light goes away leaving no lights turn on, the lights for the eject logo and power logo stay on for 2 more seconds, and then there are no lights on PS3 indicating that the PS3 is turned off.

I already know that to use a external hard drive on a PS3 you will need a power source, so I hooked up the hard drive to a USB port and then the port to the PS3, I then used a plug in which the voltage can be changed, at first I started with a low voltage then went up to 3 after that the PS3 shutdown.

I think that I could have given too much power into the PS3, and looking online it could have overheated, but after letting it cool down over night that doesn't seem to be the fix.

If anyone could help I would be grateful, and I wanted to check on the forums before I went up calling Sony.

Message 1 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33128 posts

Re: PS3 Beeps once and then turns off?

Oct 29, 2011

Mazi_94 wrote:

Yesterday I had tried hooking up my hard drive to my PS3 (I have a 160GB PS3 slim). When I had tried hooking up the hard drive it hard turned off. So I went to start it back up but there was no light. After flicking the switch off then on at the mains, the red standby light came on. When I press the on button the PS3 beeps once, the the red light turns to green, the eject logo and power logo become white. Then the green light goes away leaving no lights turn on, the lights for the eject logo and power logo stay on for 2 more seconds, and then there are no lights on PS3 indicating that the PS3 is turned off.

I already know that to use a external hard drive on a PS3 you will need a power source, so I hooked up the hard drive to a USB port and then the port to the PS3, I then used a plug in which the voltage can be changed, at first I started with a low voltage then went up to 3 after that the PS3 shutdown.

I think that I could have given too much power into the PS3, and looking online it could have overheated, but after letting it cool down over night that doesn't seem to be the fix.

If anyone could help I would be grateful, and I wanted to check on the forums before I went up calling Sony.

Hi & Welcome to the Playstation Online Community.

You get no yellow light, not even for a second?

Message 2 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 29, 2011

BRIT-KO wrote:

Mazi_94 wrote:

Hi & Welcome to the Playstation Online Community.

You get no yellow light, not even for a second?

Nope no yellow light not even for a second, it turns straight off, as if it isn't plugged in.

Message 3 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33128 posts

Oct 30, 2011

There is a chance that you have "damaged" the unit in some way with what you did, have you re-checked the power supply?, I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Message 4 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 30, 2011

BRIT-KO wrote:

There is a chance that you have "damaged" the unit in some way with what you did, have you re-checked the power supply?, I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

How do you suggest I check the power supply? do you mean that I open the PS3, if so I do not want to do that as of yet, as I still have my warranty, but I want to know all possible solutions before I go contact Sony.

Message 5 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33128 posts

Oct 30, 2011

Mazi_94 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

How do you suggest I check the power supply? do you mean that I open the PS3, if so I do not want to do that as of yet, as I still have my warranty, but I want to know all possible solutions before I go contact Sony.

Well perhaps the power cord is damaged in some way, also check the wall socket, is that operating correctly?

I agree, opening your PS3 will void any warranty anyway, so don't do that.

Message 6 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 30, 2011

I've tried different wall sockets in different rooms but that didn't work, and the problem still persists.

I now think that it could be the power supply, because I tried the same cord on different apllications such as my old PS2, and that worked without any problems.

I guess i'm going ot have to call up Sony. Do you by any chance know Sony's helpline number, I live in the U.K.

Edit : Also I was wondering if I take out my hard drive from the PS3 will that void the warranty, because I want to back up the data just in case it gets replaced. Also, I have a friends disc within the PS3, would there be anyway to getting it out?

Message 7 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33128 posts

Oct 31, 2011

Mazi_94 wrote:

I've tried different wall sockets in different rooms but that didn't work, and the problem still persists.

I now think that it could be the power supply, because I tried the same cord on different apllications such as my old PS2, and that worked without any problems.

I guess i'm going ot have to call up Sony. Do you by any chance know Sony's helpline number, I live in the U.K.

Edit : Also I was wondering if I take out my hard drive from the PS3 will that void the warranty, because I want to back up the data just in case it gets replaced. Also, I have a friends disc within the PS3, would there be anyway to getting it out?

I didn't realize you were in the UK, you're going to have to go to the UK/EU Forums for their number, these are the US/NA Forums you have posted in.

There is a way to force eject a disc stuck in the PS3, just hold down the eject button for around 10 seconds, this should work.

As far as I know removing the HDD doesn't void any warranty, you should definitely back your data up to an external HDD or USB Stick,

Message 8 of 9 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I had the same problem today, when I push the power button it beeps and turns on for 1 sec with a green light and immediately shuts down with a solid red light. I found out what was causing the problem.

There was a power cut in my house today and my house was running on battery. I thought that since my house electricity is running on battery my PS3 might not be receiving the sufient volage or current.

So I turned off all the lights, fans and all home appliances in my house that were using my home battery's power, then I turned on my PS3 and it worked. The reason why my PS3 did not turn on was it was not receiving sufficient voltage or current. 

So this might be causing the problem for you - "PS3 not receiving sufficient voltage or current."

Message 9 of 9 (1,799 Views)
0 Likes