Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 20 2009
By: jeff_rigby Uncharted Territory 2088 posts

Overdue for an update 2.7 real?

9 replies 2 views Edited Mar 20, 2009

I've read all the threads and two have commented that we are overdue for an update.  In looking at the trends in release dates and features, they do average about 30 days between updates but toward the end the last three had more feature upgrades than previous updates.  This created a trend that combined with the average time between release makes this current wait an anomaly. 

The rumored feature list could be true as it contains many features that might explain the delay. 

The improvement in cross bar load time, game load time and features could mean a significant rewrite of the code to optimize both speed and amount of RAM used.  This would then allow other features not currently doable because of RAM limitations like Browser within Game.

Again, all rumor and speculation. <grin>

Message Edited by jeff_rigby on 03-20-2009 03:47 AM
Message Edited by jeff_rigby on 03-20-2009 03:49 AM
Message 1 of 10 (2 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1429 posts

Re: Overdue for an update 2.7 real?

Mar 20, 2009

If you have owned a PS3 since launch you would know SONY is trying to get away from frequent updates.  In the beginning you could of had updates from as small as a few weeks apart to as much as a couple of months, there was never any pattern, I even recall an update that was only a week between versions but that was to fix an issue). 

I dont remember exactly when it was, but it was little over a year into the life of the PS3 when SONY stated that they wanted to get away from frequent updates and move to larger updates only a few times a year.

Updates come when they come.

Message Edited by Smokey on 03-20-2009 07:09 AM
Message 2 of 10 (2 Views)
Lombax Warrior
233 posts

Mar 20, 2009

There is a pattern to the updates... here is the proof, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_System_Software 

Usually they come out every month (if you look at the past updates) but this one has been especially long which I think it due to adding loads of features and also sorting out the issue with 2.60 which corrupted blu ray drives.

It damn annoying, ive had to wait so long for this update to fix my ps3, I thought I would only have to wait at most a couple of weeks.

Message Edited by Shruggy on 03-20-2009 04:11 AM
Message 3 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
616 posts

Mar 20, 2009

Shruggy wrote:

There is a pattern to the updates... here is the proof, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_System_Software 

Usually they come out every month (if you look at the past updates) but this one has been especially long which I think it due to adding loads of features and also sorting out the issue with 2.60 which corrupted blu ray drives.

It damn annoying, ive had to wait so long for this update to fix my ps3, I thought I would only have to wait at most a couple of weeks.

Message Edited by Shruggy on 03-20-2009 04:11 AM

WIKIPEDIA IS NOT  A RELIABLE SOURCE, MY FRIEND DID A REPORT ON A FAMOUS PERSON AND IN THE REPORT SAID THE HE WAS A "RAPIEST" so dont trust it

sry for the off topic 

Message 4 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2088 posts

Mar 20, 2009

Smokey wrote:

If you have owned a PS3 since launch you would know SONY is trying to get away from frequent updates.  In the beginning you could of had updates from as small as a few weeks apart to as much as a couple of months, there was never any pattern, I even recall an update that was only a week between versions but that was to fix an issue). 

I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was little over a year into the life of the PS3 when SONY stated that they wanted to get away from frequent updates and move to larger updates only a few times a year.

Updates come when they come.

Message Edited by Smokey on 03-20-2009 07:09 AM

That makes sense for those of us who do not have internet access as Sony was working with developers to provide a release on the game DVD as needed. 

Adding features and listening to suggestions for improvement to the PS3 is the cheapest-best bang for the buck for Sony to get continuing press as well as PROVE the PS3 is better than the competition.  The hardware is capable of so much more than we see today.  It is not just a game machine. 

Sony can either reduce the price of the PS3 (still loosing money on each sale) or improve and add features to the PS3 making it well worth a larger investment.  

If I were them I'd be optimizing algorithms to compress voice and video to make chat work better within "Home" and video chat work better with slower internet connections.  The PS3 does have the power to do this, competitors would be hard pressed to duplicate this. 

How many reading this know about the media serving ability of the PS3.  There is a forum dedicated to this feature.  Want to justify to your parents or wife spending more money on the PS3 hardware?  Show them this feature.  I've got a brother in law that WILL NOT PLAY GAMES and thought his wifes purchase of the PS3 a waste of money.  He is now engrossed in serving pictures and movies to his new HD TV using the PS3 he would previously grown about when it was turned on.  He has upgraded his PC and is now buying terabyte drives to put media on to be served to the PS3.  This because I showed him what it could do.

By the way he too complained early on about every time they turned on the PS3 it needed an update.  This was true for them as his wife did not play games that often.  He now looks forward to upgrades. <grin>.   

Message 5 of 10 (2 Views)
Lombax Warrior
233 posts

Mar 20, 2009

I very much doubt wikipedia would falsify ps3 update information, those dates are correct and there is proof if you cross checked them individually with Sony's update site. Wikipedia is usually only innacurate with people.

Besides, the fact of the matter is we are well overdue an update, some months even had two updates so im getting fed up of waiting.

Message Edited by Shruggy on 03-20-2009 05:49 AM
Message 6 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2088 posts

Mar 20, 2009

Shruggy wrote:

I very much doubt wikipedia would falsify ps3 update information, those dates are correct and there is proof if you cross checked them individually with Sony's update site. Wikipedia is usually only innacurate with people.

Besides, the fact of the matter is we are well overdue an update, some months even had two updates so im getting fed up of waiting.

It might be well worth the wait.  If I am correct in my first post much of the change will be invisible beyond everything appearing snappy (faster).  
Message 7 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Mar 20, 2009
the way i see it when they do these large updates it results in major system failures compared to when they did frequent nothing really happened ya know
Kakashi Sig
Message 8 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

Mar 20, 2009

jeff_rigby wrote:

Shruggy wrote:

It might be well worth the wait.  If I am correct in my first post much of the change will be invisible beyond everything appearing snappy (faster).  

DUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!........

alam0000
Message 9 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 2, 2009

anyone? i need help with my system.. update 2.70 did not fix my problem regarding corruptions of my ps3 games. how do i solve this problem? please anyone.. thanks!

Message 10 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes