Feb 05 2013
By: nakrul2018 First Son 1 posts

Optical sound not working

6 replies 163 views Edited Feb 5, 2013

So, I've been searching through the internet a lot, found many people with a similar problem with the optical sound not working but none of their solutions worked for me.

History: I took my PS3 to a friend's house (since he has a huge TV and a great sound system) for us to play. Connected everything but when I turned on the PS3, there were no sound coming from the optical exit (when I say no sound, I mean absolutely NOTHING. I thought, back then, that the cable broke during the transport so I wasn't worried. Coming back to my own home, I've connected everything as I was used to - HDMI to TV and optical into my home theater. My surprise was that no sound was coming once again.

I bought 2 new different cables to test. Nothing works. Red light on the end of the cable is OK, HDMI sound is ok. Already cleaned both optical plugs,  changed every single option (even the ones for video). Nothing worked so far.

I'm currently using a PS3 Super Slim (250gb). My TV is a LG Flatron M2380A and my Home Theater is a LG HT805ST. I'm not sure about my friend's TV and surround, but they were both from Panasonic, and not that old.

Thus said, anyone got any suggestion? Would really appreciate any kind of help!

Cheers (and sorry the english). 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (163 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Re: Optical sound not working

Feb 5, 2013

Welcome to the Forum.

You have pretty much covered any qualifying questions I may have had.  This being said, I am sorry I do not have an answer for you yet.

Don't worry though, have patience and I am sure I or someone else will find the solution for you.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8984 posts

Feb 5, 2013
What audio settings are you using from your PS3? If it is turned on, try shutting off DTS 5.1 and only have Dolby 5.1 selected.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (145 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Feb 10, 2013

I too am having the same issue. Purchased a new 250 super slim during black friday. I was using an hdmi into my receiver from the ps3 and then ouputting hdmi into an old Samsung 50 inch DLP. Now I've recently purchased an LG 3D tv and sent hdmi strictly to the tv as a monitor and optical output into my receiver with no such luck. The red light is on coming from the PS3, I've changed multiple audio settings in the Audio Output Settings menu. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V663 with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD capabilities and yet I am reduced to 2 channel audio coming from the tv via the HDMI that is connected to it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1423 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Are you using both hdmi in  connections on the yamaha?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 16, 2013

No, the HDMI from the back of the super slim is going directly to my 3D tv because my reciever doesn't support 3D passthrough and I wanted to use the digital audio output into my reciever for sound. I do have another HDMI going into the reciever, but that is on a completely different system which isn't even in use when I'm using the PS3. I have my old brick PS3 that I can hook up and check to see if sound will come out of that...that way I'll know if it's my cable, receiver, or my slim.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (100 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I was able to figure out what my issue was. When I initially set up my receiver I had gone in through the menu in the receiver and changed an input to strictly HDMI and so it didn't turn on my optical input. Once I realized this and went back in and turned it back on I was getting sound again. The crappy thing is that I had purchased a new Opitcal cable to try and can't really return it cause I sort of destroyed the box. Oh well, maybe I can find someone to purchase it from me.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (88 Views)
0 Likes