Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

Re: No New XMB or GoogleTV Announced At E3

Jun 16, 2010

Here is an updated version of GoogleTV in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0la9SmqWA

Message 21 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 16, 2010

micorsoft did show newer things for their system than sony.  if sont would not copy the wii they might be able to make their system better. what they should have said was we are going to make our system to show all games in 1080p that might make sony move ahead of the other sytems. the move will stink and it will not do good. i am saying this because i work in gamestop and people do not like those controls whatsoever. i cant wait to see some gears of war 3 and some of the other 360 games coming out . plus they ruined killzone by making it 3d you dont need 3d games. just make a better mutiplayer and it will be ok. they should also make ps3 owners to pay for online ply. if you pay for soem thing you getter better results for your online service what is 50 bucks? nothing to people who play a lot of great games and do a lot of online

Message 22 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4182 posts

Jun 16, 2010

curiousecat wrote:

A BIG H E DOUBLE TOOTH PICS NO TO THE FOLLOWING!

Automatic Downloads: Receive, without lifting a finger, the latest PS3 system software, game updates, and even game demos. I Want manual control of everything. and I am not going to pay SCEA to mess up my system.

taken from the EU blog (not the highlighted portion in red):

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/15/playstat ion-plus-check-
out-what-its-all-about/

"Automatic Download:??

We wanted to offer members the speediest service possible so sign up and you can set your PS3 to automatically receive the latest game updates for all the games you play, PS3 system software updates and even have game demos sent directly to your PS3 without lifting a finger.

Just set the time you want to receive them and your PS3 will automatically wake up and download everything, ready for when you next want to play. No more waiting to play your favourite game because there is a new patch or having to remember when the latest system software is launching, let your PS3 do the work."

you have control over this feature.  based on the section i've highlighted, it is highly probable that it is an option that you can turn on or off yourself.  what's interesting about your rant is that you've already openly stated that you won't be updating your console's FW to the latest version, which means you won't have access to the PSN, which means you won't even have access to PSN +, which means you won't even be paying for this optional service to begin with.   

even if you did update your PS3, PSN + isn't mandatory for you to have in order to continue using the PSN, so ranting and raving about a feature that you will likely be able to set the parameters yourself on a completely optional service is utterly pointless and not even remotely constructive. 

Message 23 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Jun 17, 2010

HuskyChipmunk wrote:

micorsoft did show newer things for their system than sony.  if sont would not copy the wii they might be able to make their system better. what they should have said was we are going to make our system to show all games in 1080p that might make sony move ahead of the other sytems. the move will stink and it will not do good. i am saying this because i work in gamestop and people do not like those controls whatsoever. i cant wait to see some gears of war 3 and some of the other 360 games coming out . plus they ruined killzone by making it 3d you dont need 3d games. just make a better mutiplayer and it will be ok. they should also make ps3 owners to pay for online ply. if you pay for soem thing you getter better results for your online service what is 50 bucks? nothing to people who play a lot of great games and do a lot of online

I cant believe you create an account just for this stupid statement.. some people... 

Message 24 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Jun 17, 2010

theburch wrote:

forgive me for asking but what is google tv??

What is Google TV

Best description of Google TV: http://gizmodo.com/5543822/what-is-google-tv

Why would Sony include this in the PS3

Sony is trying to create a synergy in that all SONY products work the same way, share software IP, share advertising and share media.  http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?i d=247606 "Sony will deliver new levels of connectivity and Internet integration across our range of assets and product categories."

Is it doable

The current Generic compiler is probably designed with the Atom processor in mind which has hardware support for many of the video processes needed to support Android calls.  A compiler designed with the Cell and the PS3 OS could be developed.  For security reasons it would have to be done that way. 

Creating a compiler and providing hooks in the PS3 OS while initially difficult pays off in the end as future updates take place outside SONY with Google providing the new updates and code.  I.E. it only needs to be done once for ALL Sony products.

Why I'm excited:

Google Chrome Web Browser

Android applications (17,000)

Google TV search engine and DVR

basic set of android applications included:

Built-in Android Applications

The system image included in the downloadable platform provides these built-in applications:

• Alarm Clock
  • Browser
  • Calculator
  • Camera
  • Contacts
  • Custom Locale (developer app)
  • Dev Tools (developer app)
  • Email
  • Gallery
  • IMEs for Japanese, Chinese, and Latin text input
  • Messaging
  • Music
  • Phone
  • Settings
  • Spare Parts (developer app)

And I read some where that Google TV has a MS WORD style document reader built in.  Text and "Word" files can be displayed on screen.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-U pdates/Google-T
V-and-PSN-PS3-firmware-update-time...

We have three news articles stating that Google will eventually make it into the PS3 from quotes of Sony employees. 

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-U pdates/Anyone-s
till-doesn-t-believe-Google-TV-com...

Google TV  or subsets will be implemented by all Sony Wifi products.  (My opinion)  Supporting that:

1) Google TV announced by Sony for stand alone TV

2) Google TV announced by Sony for special blu-ray player

3) Google TV announced  in news article leak for Sony product "ipad killer"  

3) Google TV announced in FCC news leak for the external box to attach to 2007-2010 internet ready Sony TVs

4) Android announced for Sony cell phone (may include a subset of Google TV)

5) Google TV announced by SONY "to eventually make it into the PS3"

This leaves the Dash, a personal web browser (light on processing power) with android like applications and Notebook computers

Edit: I guess I have to spell this out.  The list of Sony products that will include Google TV (or a subset) that have been announced, tells us more than Google TV will be in the PS3; It underscores quotes from Sony management (Synergy between Sony products) and signals a revolution in the industry; "It's a game changer".  Anyone hearing a mental click yet?  reread the Google TV feature set as well as the partners in Google TV. 

Finally, the PS3 with an IR blaster and some form of input from a Tuner (Play TV2) or input from a cablebox can support the entire Google TV feature set.  It also helps Google TV get out of the chicken and egg stage as a firmware update will have 16-30 million Google TV equipped sets in peoples homes with most of the Google TV functionality.

The threads listed contain links to references.

Message 25 of 27 (146 Views)
Wastelander
864 posts

Jun 17, 2010

AfroSamurai07 wrote:

HuskyChipmunk wrote:

I cant believe you create an account just for this stupid statement.. some people... 

He made an account a month ago, look at the date he registered. And he does have a point, Microsoft and Nintendo seemed to have more to offer.

Message 26 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Jun 17, 2010

craigercsm wrote:

One thing is maybe Sony held off on announcing GoogleTV for the PS3 until the Fall since that is when GoogleTV is going to be released.

According to Summit_slider only part of Google TV will be implemented by the fall, we might see some android applications and by that time Google TV would have been announced for the PS3. 

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10008779/at-e3-microsoft-kinect-aims-straight-for-apple-google-t...  

At E3, Microsoft Kinect Aims Straight For Apple, Google TV  

Video games are an afterthought here. What we’re really talking about is user interface, media control, Internet accessibility and exclusive content — the television multimedia dominion that is becoming the next battleground for Apple and Google.

Kinect will be available on November 4th for, critics suspect, $149. The question is if Apple and, later, Google will be able to penetrate homes as quickly as Microsoft. The XBox 360 already has a 42 million install base, a robust online community and, at this moment, the most cutting edge control system available for the mainstream. TheSony (SNE) PlayStation 3 doesn’t have the same user base nor is the Sony Move as groundbreaking, but Sony does have a dense multimedia catalog and, as of yet, hasn’t showed its cards at the big video game conference. It seems as though the war for the living room is only beginniIng. 

Again, Sony was all games and Microsoft appeared to be Kinect and Multimedia.  Even the name says it all.  Connecting to media.  

Message 27 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes