Apr 06 2013
By: skwiggly First Son 3 posts

No HDMI video through receiver

[ Edited ]
5 replies 170 views Edited Apr 6, 2013

Greetings,
Here's my situation, hopefully someone here can help out. Recently my PS3 (Slim 120GB, running 4.40 fw) completely stopped outputting video (both HDMI & composite). I had it repaired, but it is now not outputting HDMI when I run it  via HDMI to my Harman Kardon AVR-247 receiver, and then HDMI to my TV, the same setup configuration it's been for a few years now. 

Background: 

- I had updated to 4.40 shortly before these issues;

- Just before it failed completely, I rented Far Cry 3, but was unable to play it because it would just start up with a black screen, while the menu audio played in the background. 

- I had the PS3 repaired locally; diagnosis was overheating which caused the soldering on the video board to loosen. After repair, I was able to get video, see the main XMB menu, and play Blu Rays.

- However, once I tried to load a game (any game), I got BLACK SCREEN, with just the audio playing. I would have assumed the repair work was at fault; except when I plugged the PS3 DIRECTLY into my TV via HDMI, I got video & audio just fine!

I have tried:

- resetting video via holding power button

- rebuilding file system & database

- buying new HDMI 1.4 cables

- trying both HDMI ports on the AVR

At this point, I am leaning toward it being an issue with the receiver; the odd thing is that it was working fine before with this exact setup. So I'd like to rule out the PS3 before dropping a few hundred $ on a new AVR ;p

Has has anyone experienced anything like this before? Could it be the PS3 after all, even though it works directly connected to the TV? Could it be the 4.40 update? 

Any thoughts, suggestions, brainstorms would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for reading this far :smileyhappy:

regards,

Scott

Message 1 of 6 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18326 posts

Re: No HDMI video through receiver

Apr 6, 2013

It isn't the update.  It is possible that the PS3 is outputting the HDMI signal with a lower signal strength than before.  The repair would have been tested with a standard HDTV, but not with an AV receiver or any other HDMI passthrough device.  I would still test the AV receiver with a HD cable or satellite box, as you may have just not set it up properly this time; but the PS3 could still be at fault. It is possible that there isn't enough signal strength left after the HDMI pass-through in  the AV receiver to register with the TV.  If so, it is a hardware problem.  If the repair is still under warranty, I would return the PS3 if no problem is found with the AV receiver.

GKP
Message 2 of 6 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

Why are you running your HDMI to the receiver? My audio still outputs and is controlled by the receiver for the PS3 when I have the receiver set to the default output  which is AV4 on my model.

Unless of course you do not have enough HDMI inputs on your TV.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 3 of 6 (153 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18326 posts

Apr 6, 2013

I assume that he is doing it because that provides the best sound quality, and is the only way to get 7.1 surround sound; unless your TV happens to support that.

GKP
Message 4 of 6 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Apr 6, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

I assume that he is doing it because that provides the best sound quality, and is the only way to get 7.1 surround sound; unless your TV happens to support that.

Oh ya, that would be nice. I just have a Yamaha RX-V371 5.1 and no space to set it up properly.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 5 of 6 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 9, 2013

GKP,

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestion. Since I do have HDMI running through the receiver from a Mac MIni, I think signs are definitely pointing to the PS3 being at fault. The repair shop does lifetime warranty on their work, so no problem taking it back. Do you happen to know if it will be possible for them to test the HDMI signal level and compare to factory spec?

@tracerwilly: GKP is correct, since I do play Blu Rays I prefer HDMI for both video & audio in order to get the full uncompressed audio formats. 

Message 6 of 6 (100 Views)
0 Likes