Highlighted
Jul 13 2012
By: NonExistentNinja First Son 10 posts
Accepted Solution

Need help Blinking Red Light

[ Edited ]
10 replies 1249 views Edited Jul 13, 2012

So today I was playing for a little while and everything ran fine on my PS3Its the fat version CECHE01 80GB  and I've had it 6 years now. I shut it off normally with the controller when I finished playing and left it alone for about 20 minutes. I came back to log on to check something, when 3 minutes after starting it beeped 3 times thenshut off, then the red light blinked. It stopped blinking when I touched it and stayed a steady red. Then I turned it back on. It did the exact same thing. So because its looooong off warrenty I looked online on how to clean it, I have three furry dogs so I figured hair may be clogging it and heating it up(there was no dog hair and only a little dust) . I did exactly as shown and had no problems at all. So while cleaning I noticed it was very hot. So I set it infront of a fan and left it open infornt of it for a half hour to cool. I put it back together after making sure it was clean, then turned it on. It ran for another 3 minutes then got super hot and shut off and I had the red blinking light. I tried doing a fan clean up, where you hold the disk edject button but that didnt even turn on. It just beeped at me three times and did nothing. I dont want to turn it on again because I dont want to kill it myself. I'm not sure what is going on. Any ideas or help? Is the fan just not working anymore and its all overheating??? I also know that since its old it may just be that time to get a new one but if I can I'd just like to see if I can fix whatever is wrong before I just run out and buy a new PS3. PS: I did not open any of the inside parts, just took the front plates off and left everything inside alone as to not break anything, but made sure to remove the dust from in there. So I have the same thing a lot of others are going through...I've read a bit more now about it and yeahhh not really too happy but nothing is made to last anymore. So any suggestions as to what I should do? Because it now will NOT turn on and only goes to the PS3 logo then glitches and freezes and shuts off doing its blinky thing. Ive had a fan on it the whole time and also while trying to turn it on. So is something fried on the inside?? I dont know much about all this so please help and thanks for reading!

UPDATE: I took it completely apart after letting it sit for a few hours. Cleaned it completely and put it back together. Turned it on and got 20 minutes of time on it. I was able to get my game data which I had thought was completely lost. So I thank everyone who read this and commented. BUT I know now for sure I have YLOD....I saw it with my own eyes and it was the first time it showed up so now I know what the only red blinking means. It means your close to YLOD. I named my PS3 Donut a long time ago...I'm sad to know age finally caught up to it...and all the use its been through. Still 6 YEARS so for anyone who reads this the answer to this post is, well, basicly a good answer for everyone with this problem. Good Luck everyone going through this.

Message 1 of 11 (1,249 Views)
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Re: Need help Blinking Red Light

Jul 13, 2012
Same thing basically happened to me last night. I was wondering what the heck happened. I was playing some Skyrim and then all of a sudden bam it shut off. And it's doing the same exact things you just described. I've had mine since launch. I'm more **bleep** about my disc being stuck in the drive tho lol
Resistance 2 Beta Tester
Socom Confrontation Tester
Home Beta Tester
MAG Beta Tester
Message 2 of 11 (1,237 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 13, 2012
Based on your description, I don't quite know what the problem is. Hopefully it is just overheating, where it can be corrected by following my guide (like below) and changing the thermal paste and thermal pads to help the PS3 run cooler.

Unfortunately, you just may have the YLOD, where a yellow light flashes briefly and easy enough to miss. This indicates that likely the GPU has separated from the motherboard and the PS3 is not operational. If this is the case, read the part of my guide "What if I already have the YLOD?" for your options.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 11 (1,236 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Jul 13, 2012
I spoke to my dad a little bit ago. Told me he had the same problem when his original one broke. Gotta send it out to sony to fix it or they will give you a new for a 150 bucks or something. Frickin sucks lol
Resistance 2 Beta Tester
Socom Confrontation Tester
Home Beta Tester
MAG Beta Tester
Message 4 of 11 (1,231 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 13, 2012

WARRIOR_1991 wrote:
I spoke to my dad a little bit ago. Told me he had the same problem when his original one broke. Gotta send it out to sony to fix it or they will give you a new for a 150 bucks or something. Frickin sucks lol

It depends on what PS3 model you have. If you have a original fat PS3 model CECHA, CECHB, CECHE, Sony should offer you the chance to exhange it for a PS3 Slim for $100. Any other fat PS3 model, they will just exchange for an equivalent model, and many people have stated that their repairs don't last very long. IMO it is only safe to send PS3 Slims into Sony to repair, since they are actively manufacturing them.

If you have an older model, I suggest you consider sending it to Gophermods or Endless Electronics because they can offer you a better repair and better warranty than Sony can offer...

Message 5 of 11 (1,227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 13, 2012
I know how that goes...my disk was in there...but I luckly without knowing hit the button and it spit it out for me right before it crashed again.
Message 6 of 11 (1,223 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 13, 2012
Well I just got super lucky and got all the game data I needed. It finally let me on for 20 whole minutes and I got all my games backed up on a usb. I really dont mind anything now...I was looking at Endless Electronics. do you know if their price is fair?
Message 7 of 11 (1,223 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 13, 2012
Thanks so much Smiley Happy haha I now apon this last run of my ps3 after I took it all apart, had 20 minutes of time to get my data. Then when it shut off I watch really carefully like I have been since it started having problems and now for the first time i have YLOD....since I have the data I can rest easier. And actually, after I posted this I went to look around and I stumbled on your guide. It helped a lot so thanks
Message 8 of 11 (1,223 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 13, 2012
oh and to update it now had a flash of the Yellow light. So now I know I have YLOD...So go check your ps3 really close when it shuts off and watch the lights. Its really quick but if you see yellow then you have what I have and well, either it now has to be sent in or you fix it yourself or buy a new one. the comment that came in at the same time as yours has a guide. Its really useful info so check it out if youd like. really sucks though I got attached to my PS3 and I got SOOOOOO lucky sorry to hear bout your disk. Id be mad if I lost my Skyrim.
Message 9 of 11 (1,221 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 13, 2012

NonExistentNinja wrote:
Well I just got super lucky and got all the game data I needed. It finally let me on for 20 whole minutes and I got all my games backed up on a usb. I really dont mind anything now...I was looking at Endless Electronics. do you know if their price is fair?

Yes I think EE's prices are fair and their warranty is better that what you can find elsewhere...

Message 10 of 11 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes