Jul 03 2011
By: BobMcBobBob Splicer 51 posts

My PS3 won't restore data

19 replies 10174 views Edited Jul 3, 2011

Okay so my PS3 froze while using the internet browser and i went to restart it and it said, " The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored. "and i press OK. It starts restoring but once it gets to 100%, the PS3 just restarts and says the same thing. What can I do?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (10,174 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: My PS3 won't restore data

Jul 3, 2011

Try safe mode options 3 and/or 4. If those don't work you may have to wipe the HDD (option 5).

In Safe Mode, you will have the following options:

1. Restart System - Ends safe mode and restarts the PlayStation 3 normally.
  2. Restore Default Settings - Performs the same  operations as on the XMB™, and also deletes  PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
  3. Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas  on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be  erased if it cannot be recovered.
  4. Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists,  changes made on screens, trimming information for pictures  in , video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume  information.
    This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
  5. Restore PS3 System - IMPORTANT: All data       and settings will be lost by performing this step.
    This will reformat the hard drive on the PlayStation 3, deleting all  data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the  same as on the XMB.
  6. System Update - Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on external storage media,       such as a USB drive.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (10,171 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 2, 2012

Hey the same thing happens to me so it tried the first four and I waited all night and day for a couple of days and it says "Preparing... Please Wait..." I am at a lost What should I do now?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (9,307 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 8, 2012

Mine does the same thing and i dont know what to do!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (9,225 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14290 posts

Oct 8, 2012

either your backup has somehow been corrupted, or the PS3's hard drive has died

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (9,217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 16, 2012
How do you get to safe mode
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (9,077 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2308 posts

Oct 16, 2012

i was playing borderlands and in the middle of loading an area i got....."this data is corrupted please uninstall and reinstall the game to continue.  i could still hit the home button and go to the XMB, then playing Little big planet, right at the beginning it said data was corrupted.  but reloaded it and it was fine.  dont know what is goin on

some_text
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (9,061 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Yeah My brothers restores but it goes blank and wont start up somethings big time wrong?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (7,933 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 11, 2013

I'm having a similar issue.  When I try to restore the filesystem, it just stays at the "Preparing... Please wait." screen forever.  When I try to rebuild the database, the screen goes black and nothing else happens.  When I try to upgrade the firmware, the system freezes.  This is extremely frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (7,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 12, 2013

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I figured my problem out.  I booted into safe mode and chose to restore the filesystem, then I let it sit for 24 hours.  When I came back it was still at the preparing screen, but when I restarted the PS3, it restored the filesystem and then rebuilt the database and I am back up and running again.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (7,758 Views)
0 Likes