Apr 01 2010
By: phil--82 Lombax Warrior 161 posts

Maybe...

11 replies 5 views Edited Apr 1, 2010

Correct me if Im wrong or anything, I dont know much about the ps3 and operating systems BUT

what if the removal of the OtherOS is not only for security purposes, but also as a kind of way to foreshadow that we are getting something big on our XMB 

The reason Im shooting this idea is mostly due to the fact that long time ago, around the time of that big issue with EA and cross game chat, I read a really good post about the XMB or OS only having a certain amount of ability based on memory or ram whatever.

Anyways I thought id share this with you all because after the update, i decided to check all my unread messeges before hitting the sac - something I do everynight. At first, everything felt the way it should, but as I was racing through my messeges, I noticed something very interesting involving the XMB. The loading times were noticeable faster. Anyone who has a lot of messeges and care to make sure that they are all "read" knows that sometimes the system freezes on a messeges to take time and load the avatar or even the content of the messege. Reading the messeges tonight, though, seemed surpirsingly faster for each and every messege. Although this might not be update related, its still a thought! After checking all my messeges, I quickly from the friends section to the Settings collumn and expected that the icons would take a couple seconds to load, as they normally do. This time, however, the icons in the settings collumn were already loaded. 

So in conclusion, maybe the act of Sony removing the otherOS feature (which imo, was really good,even if it was just for security reasons) was done to speed things up on the XMB aswell, or making free up XMB ram space (or something similar) so a bigger feature can be added to the system.

Remember its just a thought, but feel free to flame!

Message 1 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Re: Maybe...

Apr 1, 2010

You sir have a great mind. You are human for thinking like that. I like you kid.

Message 2 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Thank you!

Message 3 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4412 posts

Apr 1, 2010

If that were true then they would've added it as they removed the other OS support. Besides, it's Sony you're talking about. They don't want to give you features, they want to take them away.

Message 4 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Apr 1, 2010

So they removed 1 feature and your saying they take everything away?

Message 5 of 12 (5 Views)
Splicer
54 posts

Apr 1, 2010
I agree with MonkeySlime808, I like the way you think.
I mean, what's done is done (for now unless they listen to all the complaining and then bring it back which would cause another uproar due to data loss and inconvenience) and I really think people should move on. I was mad at the beginning of the day, but can we really stay mad over something like this for this long? They'll probably bring some big awesomeness to the XMB that previously required more RAM usage, and now that it's gone, perhaps new features people have been asking for can be added such as 3D, cross-game chat, or heck, even better looking games.
I just got Windows 7 for my poopy laptop and it runs much faster having removed a bunch of garbage and running new applications. If they can do this with the PS3 and make it a better system overall that can extend its life cycle, then I sort of welcome this. I hope I don't get flamed for this :/ I was mad, but I didn't overreact.
Message 6 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Right. It strengthens your self esteem by thinking of another way to combat this type of problem. It will make you stronger as a person. It will help you control yourself. If you don't have control of yourself, you are consider a weak person. Controlling your self ain't easy.

Message 7 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4412 posts

Apr 1, 2010

MrCrAzyFAcE wrote:
I agree with MonkeySlime808, I like the way you think.
I mean, what's done is done (for now unless they listen to all the complaining and then bring it back which would cause another uproar due to data loss and inconvenience) and I really think people should move on. I was mad at the beginning of the day, but can we really stay mad over something like this for this long? They'll probably bring some big awesomeness to the XMB that previously required more RAM usage, and now that it's gone, perhaps new features people have been asking for can be added such as 3D, cross-game chat, or heck, even better looking games.
I just got Windows 7 for my poopy laptop and it runs much faster having removed a bunch of garbage and running new applications. If they can do this with the PS3 and make it a better system overall that can extend its life cycle, then I sort of welcome this. I hope I don't get flamed for this :/ I was mad, but I didn't overreact.

If that's true then they should remove garbage like Facebook support. Nobody wants that emo garbage on PS3 anyways. While they're at it they might as well remove other features that people use like the browser & PS2 backwards compatibility.

Message 8 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Facebook support doesn't need a linux to support it. it uses the default ps3 browser to access it. and it doesnt use any resources except your connection.

Message 9 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Apr 1, 2010

I guess thats true,

but think about how many more people use the browser than OtherOS,

even thoguh maybe to people who know a good deal about both the browser and the OtherOS, the OtherOS is more appealing,BUT

i bet if I were to add 10 random people from my players met list, only about 2 of them would know anything about OtherOS other than what it actually is. 

If i were to ask those same 10 people about the browser(even though its really bad, almost to the point where it is useless) im pretty confident, they would know how to use it. This makes the web browser more important.

This, if your point was true, is the one of the reasons why they would remove the OtherOS first, as oppose the something like the web browser.

I might also add that some people on the fence about getting either a ps3 or the box might find out that our system has a browser which could help them make their choice.

If something bad happens, you can either dwell on it and put yourself in a bad mood or just get over it and focus on the positve.

Message 10 of 12 (5 Views)
0 Likes