Nov 13 2012
By: thatWAVEYkiddPR First Son 4 posts

Loud Noise coming from PS3

5 replies 217 views Edited Nov 13, 2012

Hey guys,

I bought season 9 of family guy and it comes with a couple CD's. For whatever reason, when i put in the last CD my ps3 makes a very loud noise - it sounds like the fan or like the CD is getting really scratched up. The CD's are all brand new. Idk why but this only happens with one of them. When i look at it after i take it out there are no scratches or anything. This has never happened to me before with any CD so im just very confused. Im playing Ps3 games on it right now and the PS3 sounds just fine. BTW i have the regular slim model (not super slim) - its 3 years old.

Im new to this so sorry if my post ends up in the wrong spot

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Final Boss
25260 posts

Re: Loud Noise coming from PS3

Nov 13, 2012

Is your PS3 properly ventilated? Are the ventilation holes clear of dust (and other build-up)? Have you tried the DVD disc on another PS3? If not, I suggest that you do. If the same problem happens, it could mean that the DVD is at fault. If it doesn't, then the PS3 is very likely the problem.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (204 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
4008 posts

Nov 13, 2012

I've had this problem in the past with some DVDs.  I changed my video playback settings for "BD/DVD - Upscaler" to either "Off" or "Normal" and had luck there.  Give that a shot and see if it helps.

T_F

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (195 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4145 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 13, 2012

Thread moved from Forum Info and Help. :smileywink:

space_cape!!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (190 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Nov 13, 2012

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I've had this problem in the past with some DVDs.  I changed my video playback settings for "BD/DVD - Upscaler" to either "Off" or "Normal" and had luck there.  Give that a shot and see if it helps.

T_F

I have been warned about the upscaler as well.  It makes the fan sound like an AC-130.  Typically, I play regular DVDs in my old DVD player.  

The PS3 does allow you to play old DVDs, but it is not advisable.  I have a co-worker, whose PS3 actual crapped out, because his kids kept watching regular DVDs on it.  The system burnt out.

Tempest's advice may work out for you, but I have a feeling you would be better suited to find an old player, if you don't have one anymore.

That is just my advice though.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (186 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Nov 26, 2012

I just tried doing that after I read your post, and the PS3 stil makes the same loud noise. Its so weird. 

Thanks anyway

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (146 Views)
0 Likes