Sep 06 2009
By: Wintaru First Son 11 posts

Issue with sound output via RCA after 3.0...

4 replies 17 views Edited Sep 6, 2009

My PS3 is hooked up to one of my computer monitors using HDMI, and the sound is through the SCART/RCA output to my stereo receiver.  Prior to 3.0, this worked perfectly and all was well.

After 3.0, the sound is spotty at best, with dialog in games and certain parts of movies very quiet while background sounds and others are very loud at the same time (think like you can't hear people talking but the background noise is very audible).

Does anyone else have a set up like this and are you seeing the same issue?  I'm getting the run around with customer support and it's getting rather frustrating, movie playback and games (both PS3 and PS2) are affected by this, virtually destroying any use I have for the PS3 right now.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Re: Issue with sound output via RCA after 3.0...

Sep 6, 2009

Wintaru wrote:

My PS3 is hooked up to one of my computer monitors using HDMI, and the sound is through the SCART/RCA output to my stereo receiver.  Prior to 3.0, this worked perfectly and all was well.

After 3.0, the sound is spotty at best, with dialog in games and certain parts of movies very quiet while background sounds and others are very loud at the same time (think like you can't hear people talking but the background noise is very audible).

Does anyone else have a set up like this and are you seeing the same issue?  I'm getting the run around with customer support and it's getting rather frustrating, movie playback and games (both PS3 and PS2) are affected by this, virtually destroying any use I have for the PS3 right now.

I'd like to see if I may help.

Are you aware of the new Multi Audio feature and will you post your current audio settings?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 6, 2009

I suppose I should summarize what I've tried (And yes, I have a feeling that new feature is causing this)

Ok, in the Sound Settings, I've tried:

• Toggling the Auto Multi-Output setting to both On and Off.
  • Resetting the Audio Output Settings by changing them to HDMI then back to SCART/RCA

In the Video Settings, I've tried:

• Changing BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) to both Bitstream and Linear PCM (I know it's for HDMI only, but I'm grasping at straws here)
  • Changing BD/DVD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) to both Bitstream and Linear PCM
  • Toggling the BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control to both Off and On.

None of these things fixed my audio issue for either DVD, Blu Ray, games, or downloaded movies
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Sep 6, 2009

Let start off first in video setting by changing the BD/DVD HDMI and Optical to Linear PCM

go to Audio setting and turn off Multi Audio

Then go to set your Audio Input to SCART/RCA

Move to next screen and set or confirm PCM 2 channel.  Post back 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 6, 2009

After selecting SCART/RCA I don't get that next screen, all I get is "Press the X button to save settings.".  I think you only get that next screen if you select Optical Output.

I have a feeling this is going to end in me having to buy a new receiver that can accept Optical Digital.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (17 Views)
0 Likes