May 06 2009
By: NarooN Ghost of Sparta 17335 posts

If not in-game private chat, at the very least...

5 replies 1 views Edited May 6, 2009

...upgrade the current chat rooms. You can't do anything in them except talk, read/send text messages, and *gasp*, LOOK AT YOUR GAME DATA FOLDER. Why let me compare trophies and brag or complain about my friend's progress if I can't do it while talking with him? The chat interface is also pathetic, but I guess a static crappy GIF image of a white box with two or more preset-PSN avatars requires so much from the mighty Cell and the beastly RSX. You can't listen to your own music in a chat, watch vids in a chat, look at photos, change any system settings or even look at your saved data or trophies. You can't even *get to* most menus, let alone access functions inside those menus. 

Lesson time, kiddies. Voice chat is not new, nor is it graphically, or technically expensive in any department. Voice over IP is painfully easy for them to accomplish. While to those ignorant of VoiP and how it works, it'd seem voice is a network-intensive feature that requires the best of connections to have flawless quality. This is true, but only for 56k or something. You'd really only need about anywhere between 1-20+kb of data being sent for voice chat, and this is between a crapload of people. This, combined with netcode designed for such a thing, can result in the 16 person chats you see on the other console. 

The only reason you can have 6 people in a chat room on PS3 is because Sony assumed we'd all go and buy a webcam and use it. We should have the option to open up a Video-Chat, which is the standard 6 person room with video, or a Chatroom, letting 16 people speak as well as having a section off for keyboard users. Imagine combining the text chat with an in-game chatroom, that has voice. This would easily address all voice chat related complaints. 

This thread won't change the fabric of reality that Sony will most likely not even see this thread, and if they did, they'd ignore it because unlike the past, Sony doesn't care what we want.

My observation has purpose, hence I am here.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Re: If not in-game private chat, at the very least...

May 6, 2009
they already have private chat offline idiot...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17335 posts

May 6, 2009

TA_REK_FULL_CiLP wrote:
they already have private chat offline idiot...

I need someone to come in here and translate this commoner's post, as it makes no sense. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1716 posts

May 6, 2009
The present chat room is a disaster. Every man (woman) and his (her) dog is crying out for voice chat. I assume it is coming?
The PS3 does seem to have some difficulty doing two or more things at once.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1369 posts

May 6, 2009
um there is no 16 person chat on the other console it 8. and as for x-game chat. we don't need it for online games only offline games.. look at what its doing over there everyone is in a private chat room in games like COD, so they can easly tell the alive people where the guy is that killed them. that does not need to happen here. sony does care - they bring us more inovative and creative games then anyone else. your bashing sony over a chat function. you need help. if its so bad here then why are you here. go play on live - where the graphix are toned down, the colors are made by crayola.  the gameplay is awfull and you can get a room of 18 people to run right. oh lets not forget how slow and unresponsive the dashboard is, plus the freezing..  so go over there and pay more money per game even though its no diferent from the first system.  go join the brainwashed people.  leave us be
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17335 posts

May 7, 2009

Kottonmouth wrote:
um there is no 16 person chat on the other console it 8. and as for x-game chat. we don't need it for online games only offline games.. look at what its doing over there everyone is in a private chat room in games like COD, so they can easly tell the alive people where the guy is that killed them. that does not need to happen here. sony does care - they bring us more inovative and creative games then anyone else. your bashing sony over a chat function. you need help. if its so bad here then why are you here. go play on live - where the graphix are toned down, the colors are made by crayola.  the gameplay is awfull and you can get a room of 18 people to run right. oh lets not forget how slow and unresponsive the dashboard is, plus the freezing..  so go over there and pay more money per game even though its no diferent from the first system.  go join the brainwashed people.  leave us be
  1. Offline chat makes no sense. All you have to do is turn down the game's mic chat from it's option menu, then just chat. As for using it to cheat, who the hell cares about giving away public positions in a public match?Why would friends versus each other just to do that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/logic
  2. You're the one who is brainwashed, obviously. You're a Sony fanboy with down syndrome who is telling me I'm bashing Sony over a ridiculous design choice, when you turn around and spend the rest of your post bashing the other system, with accusations and descriptions so mundane and baseless that you ought to be sued for such idiocrocy. If Sony cared so much, why do they keep releasing pointless updates? We only get updates like twice a year, and rarely do they do anything epic enough to warrant the mandatory install. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (1 View)
0 Likes