Dec 09 2012
By: mws_1984 Monster Hunter 39 posts

How to connect online? Having issues.

2 replies 87 views Edited Dec 9, 2012

Ok I'll explain my setup. 

Have my PC on one end of house, PS3 is on the other. I have the PC wired to a router and then into PC.

Also have a laptop which usually stays in same room as PS3.

Laptop picks up router signal just fine. While if I try to download something with PS3 it will literally sometimes take hours. 

What can I do to improve the range?

I've been told a range extender, those run around $80-100 so that is out of the question.

Been told a wired connection, but it would be a couple hundred feet if I did that, and I'd have to reel it in everytime I wasn't using it. 

Also just got told to use an internet stick. But does this work. I only figure those are for laptops.

I just want to be able to play my PS3 online without things taking forever to download or any lagging. 

Hopefully I explained my situation well enough to get some help. 

Message 1 of 3 (87 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: How to connect online? Having issues.

Dec 9, 2012

Hi mws_1984,

The cheapest and probably best option in my opinion would probably be to go with an ethernet cable. You can get various different sizes of wire and you can get clips for them also so that it can be clipped to the floor, along the bottom of the walls or even under the carpet. If you did clip it to the walls or just generally put it somewhere so that it's out of the way when your not using it then you wouldn't have to reel it in all the time. 

What kind of things are you downloading that take hours? I play only with discs rather than downloading full games from PS store so I don't really experience downloads taking hours even though I'm upstairs using a wireless connection when my routers downstairs.

Message 2 of 3 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: How to connect online? Having issues.

Dec 9, 2012
For instance I'll go to download a demo of a game from the PS store. Those files aren't big at all, so it literally will go from taking a small amount of time to taking 400 minutes! The time will just gradually go up to some insane amount of time. Sometimes it even gets an error after so long. I find if I pull the system out from the shelf it is on then sometimes it goes just fine. Other times not. I don't think I should have to pull it off the shelf. I also have literally tried positioning it certain ways when its off the shelf to see if that helps any.
Message 3 of 3 (69 Views)
0 Likes