Mar 06 2010
By: ownage_R_US First Son 2 posts

Horribly slow ps3 speeds, wired connection

33 replies 9358 views Edited Mar 6, 2010

I have 16mbps.  My computer, wireless G, gets around 10 mbps download 4 mbps upload.  My wired PS3 on the other hand, 2 mpbs download and 2 mbps upload (through router).  Straight to the modem, 2 mpbs upload and 2 mbps download.  I end up lagging so bad online no one wants to play me.  Tried different cables, short, long, no difference.  WTH!? This is bull!  I'm not the only one experiencing this but no one has an answer/fix posted. Someone help me out.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 34 (9,358 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Re: Horribly slow ps3 speeds, wired connection

Mar 6, 2010

Wow, that is fast internet to be lagging.

I wonder if your router has some kind of firewall that is affecting the ps3.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Mar 6, 2010

elcheapo wrote:

Wow, that is fast internet to be lagging.

I wonder if your router has some kind of firewall that is affecting the ps3.

your  close, port forwarding will solve the issuesstated

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 6, 2010

PS3 straight to the modem is still slow.  Isn't port fowarding a router thing?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 8, 2010

I have a 60Mbps connection.  On my computers I'm always 50+ when running speed tests.  When I test my PS3, which is wired by the way, I'll get 6-8 at best.   I'm NAT Type 2, I've port forwarded - NO LUCK.  And, after hours and hours of searching these forums, I've never ever seen any response which brought resolution.  I can only assume the PS Network sucks.  And, I'm really disappointed that no one from Sony takes interest in responding to important posts like this.  If anyone has the answer, I'm dying to know.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 34 (9,356 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Destroyer360 wrote:

I have a 60Mbps connection.  On my computers I'm always 50+ when running speed tests.  When I test my PS3, which is wired by the way, I'll get 6-8 at best.   I'm NAT Type 2, I've port forwarded - NO LUCK.  And, after hours and hours of searching these forums, I've never ever seen any response which brought resolution.  I can only assume the PS Network sucks.  And, I'm really disappointed that no one from Sony takes interest in responding to important posts like this.  If anyone has the answer, I'm dying to know.

If you're talking about the speed test the network connection diaganostic runs I have yet to see any proof that it is actually accurate.  You could try a test from the PS3's browser and see if there is any difference but I'm starting to think the PS3 isn't powerful enough to support a high-speed Internet connection.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 34 (9,356 Views)
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Mar 8, 2010

icemonkey310 wrote:

I'm starting to think the PS3 isn't powerful enough to support a high-speed Internet connection.

what? lol

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Browser test?  Same result - garbage download and upload speeds.  Seriously frustrated with this.  I called my ISP to see if they were throttling my traffic.....the answer, nope- they say call Sony.  Call Sony, please call your ISP.  But to help you, I'm sending you a help file to your email that addresses proper connectivity.  Ummm, hello?  I work in an IT environment, I may know a little bit about networking.  This whole process sucks.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 34 (9,356 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Neridqe wrote:

icemonkey310 wrote:

I'm starting to think the PS3 isn't powerful enough to support a high-speed Internet connection.

what? lol

Yes, I've never seen a PS3 speedtest come anywhere close to what is achievable from a speedtest done from a PC nor have I seen any proof that the PS3 has the internal bandwidth to handle a network connection much beyond what is achievable via wireless-G.  Just because it has a gigabit Ethernet port doesn't mean it can handle a gigabit connection.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 8, 2010

PS3's ship with a gigabit card, so.....in theory, if you're wired (which I am) gigabit speed should be supported.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 34 (9,356 Views)
0 Likes