Jul 03 2013
By: turkey3030 Splicer 76 posts

Has anyone gotten Sony to acknowledge their problem yet?

11 replies 201 views Edited Jul 3, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten someone at Sony to admit that 4.46 has bricked our systems? Anytime I've spoken to tech support I'm assured that I have to pay $99 and it's no fault of thiers. Is there a way to take this up the foodchain and not speak with call center employees or managers? Does anyone have an email address to someone who's capable of making decisions?  The people on  my PSN friends list follow my lead on consoles and this poor treatment just means that Sony won't sell 20 or so PS4's when the time comes

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1614 posts

Re: Has anyone gotten Sony to acknowledge their problem yet?

Jul 3, 2013

there is no email address just the phone or chat options, they admited 4.45 was their fault and fixed it so why wouldnt they do the same if 4.46 was the issue?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (198 Views)
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Because the problems aren't as widespread as the previous update. I hadn't even heard of the issues of 4.45 or played my PS3 for about 3 weeks until last Friday when I installed the update went to install a game which froze and now my system either wont read games or install them. This isn't an isolated incident and I believe since this would require Sony to repair consoles out of warrenty for free they are greatly downplaying the issue. The fact it's happening under the same circumstances and even on the same day to 100's if not 1000's of people is proof. The only time my concole has ever acted up was playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas which isn't a Sony problem, it was a issue with 2 very buggy untested games. My console worked flawlessly wiithout error until last Friday when 4.46 was installed the same with many others on this board and we are being told that it's no fault of theirs

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (192 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13286 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Sony may be correct that it is no fault of itself.

System 4.45 was an unusual case.  Every single time Sony has released an update, someone has claimed that the update broke their console.  The only evidence they provide, as in this case, is that the console worked before the update was applied. That is called a coincidence. It is extremely unlikely that a System update, or any other PS3 software, caused permanent damage to the hardware.  That is difficult to program on purpose, let alone by accident. No hardware vendor is going to take your word that a software update damaged your hardware.  It is too farfetched. Sony has no way of verifying that the System update caused the problem until it determines what the exact problem is.  To do that, you have to send the console in for service.  Of course, no one wants to do that until Sony guarantees them that the repair will be free; as they don't want to pay to repair their current console.  Sony isn't going to do that.

The bottom line is that a PS3 is computer hardware, and computer hardware can fail at any time.  A tiny fraction of it can, and does, fail during or shortly after a system software update.  That doesn't make the software at fault. The failure would have occurred soon after anyway. The problems with 4.45 were too widespread to be a coincidence.  The volume of problem reports with 4.46 are in line with what is routinely reported after a System update.

Even if Sony did somehow manage to create a System update that caused hardware to fail permanently, Sony would still not be in any way required to repair consoles out-of-warranty for free.  If you read the license agreement for the System update, that you agreed to before it was installed, you will find that it says that you install the System update at your own risk.  It isn't warranted to do, or not do, anything in particular.  If it broke your console, Sony would not be legally responsible for the damage; although it would probably do something if the problem was widespread enough, to protect the Playstation brand.  

Regardless of what happened, your choices are the same.  Send the console in for service, and commit to pay at least the assessment fee; replace the console yourself, or don't repair or replace the console at all.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (178 Views)
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 3, 2013

I would like to hear from someone who doesn't work for Sony.  How is it possible that it's affecting this many people and it's a coincidence? 1 or 2 maybe but do a google search of the issue and it's 2 to 3 pages of similar issues.  You're right though it is my choice what I do next and I think it would be foolish to continue to do business in this fashion, the only issue is how to get rid of the 70+ games I own and cancel the preorders I have in a timely manner

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Jul 3, 2013

The whole "the system was going to fail soon anyways, the system update just pushed it over the edge" thing doesn't hold much water considering that I can put in my old hard drive, that came with my PS3, and the system works fine. So that proves right there that my PS3 is fine! Whether Sony wants to admit it or not, there is still a problem with 4.46 and certain hard drives (although it is reported that people who never even upgraded their hard drives are experiencing issues too).

I suppose you could argue that "my 'already failing hard drive' (to paraphrase what you said) failed because I did the system update", but that just seems like a cop-out move. And I would get all that, if the most recent 4.45 didn't come with problems. 4.45 had issues, so therefor it's not too hard to believe that 4.46 might too. It would take a mighty conceded group to say, "Nope. We know we messed up last time, but we fixed all the problems this time, in one try, and we know it.".

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 3, 2013
The first people I saw online with the problem were the ones with the 500GB and 1 TB drives but I just have a plain jane 120GB, in fact I didn't even know I was able to remove the hard drive until Sunday when I took it apart to clean the lens
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jul 3, 2013

turkey3030 wrote:

I would like to hear from someone who doesn't work for Sony.  How is it possible that it's affecting this many people and it's a coincidence? 1 or 2 maybe but do a google search of the issue and it's 2 to 3 pages of similar issues.  You're right though it is my choice what I do next and I think it would be foolish to continue to do business in this fashion, the only issue is how to get rid of the 70+ games I own and cancel the preorders I have in a timely manner

Technically, Playstation MVP's do not work for Sony and why would you not want someone that works from Sony to answer your questions because that's who you want to fix the problem. 

Why would you want to do this?

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 3, 2013
Well 1. I would like to talk to someone about this issue who doesn't spout rehearsed scripts and fine print as well as someone who will acknowledge our issues. 2. What will I do with PS3 games and no PS3? Do you own a pair of winter tires without a car? Why would I want the 5 or so pre orders I paid in full when I can't use them? They're essential coasters or very sharp frisbees right now.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Hi. This might not be exactly what you want to hear but can you be certain that you didn't have a virus? I think it might be possible that an update could push an infected system into the state your talking about. Many people have accused Sony of releasing updates that brick consoles, and it's just as likely that many people have caught virus's using the web browser. I hate to think that the PS3 can catch a virus, but I get virus's blocked from time to time on my computer and that's just browsing and not downloading.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (76 Views)
0 Likes