Oct 10 2011
By: GeoRyu Monster Hunter 41 posts

HDMI Port Suddenly Fails

8 replies 116 views Edited Oct 10, 2011

Please read the ENTIRE post. I HAVE tried most of the remedies.So if you want to see what I have tried, its on the post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 early in the morning, having just finished a race in good times until suddenly; the picture goes blank with the sound still working.

Oh dear, I attempted a simple restart; I get no signal. I reset it via configured of holding the power button down. Nothing. I tried a new HDMI cable. Same problem. I unplugged it from the Sony A/V controller and plugged it into the TV. The TV claims "Mode not Supported". Then I plugged it into my monitor; blank screen. Back into my Sony BD A/.V controller, no signal.

Ok... so then I dug up my Composite Cables, it works! Hurray, it's not the video card. =D So I reset it with both composite and HDMI cable, it detected the HDMI cable! Hurray! So it asks me if I'd like to use that instead. I say yes! And....black screen. Ummm...fail. Soo yeah; the point I'm trying to make is;

Ever since I installed the firmware update on the PS3, it has been crashing, losing connection (Wired to the Network, I hate wireless), and now this HDMI port issue. What the hell is going on, Sony? Seriously now, why do you persist on fixing things that wasn't broken.

I've had my TV for years  on end, my PS3 even longer. There was no problems. I didn't even abuse of the two due to me working so much. And now, suddenly; there's a problem?

I'm sorry, Im ranting; let me continue...

So I looked up to see if there was an update for my Samsung TV. Samsung doesn't support the TV model anymore. Weak. I'm going to try updating my Sony A/V controller if it's even possible. There's no way to update the A/V controller, it's a switch model (non-computer).

Now I gotta go out, buy some component cables just so I can play my games because the Composite looks horrid on the TV. Degrading the quality because the HDCP handshaking broke.Im not going to buy a new system or TV. That is rediculous; it was working just fine this morning.

And yes, I cut the power to both the TV and system (unplugged, waiting for the power to deplete from it's stored standby) and turned it back on. Nothing still. "Mode not supported".

And apparently, Im not the only one sufferring from this random issue . I'm very annoyed that I actually have to drive out out for an hour just to find some damn cables because the HDCP system is retarded and decided to PMS on me for no reason.

So unless someone has some valueable information, sharing the same issues, or Sony responds to this matter. I don't want to 'hear' it. I'm upset and well deserve to be.

I am tempted to downgrade the firmware but then I wouldn't be able to access the store and there are stuff I do want from there. Looks like it'll have to wait now.

Message 1 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
34116 posts

Re: HDMI Port Suddenly Fails

Oct 11, 2011

I am tempted to downgrade the firmware but then I wouldn't be able to access the store and there are stuff I do want from there. Looks like it'll have to wait now.

You cannot go back to a previous software version.

Message 2 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 11, 2011

I apologize. You're right. I just recall the time I assisted my stepfather's machine with a corrupted firmware download. And that I had to reboot the machine into 'safe mode' to "re-apply" the update via USB flash drive. The update was obtain manually thru the Sony  website.

Message 3 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
34116 posts

Oct 12, 2011

GeoRyu wrote:

I apologize. You're right. I just recall the time I assisted my stepfather's machine with a corrupted firmware download. And that I had to reboot the machine into 'safe mode' to "re-apply" the update via USB flash drive. The update was obtain manually thru the Sony  website.

Yea, although no need to apologize, I just wanted to mke sure you were aware of that that's all.

Good luck with resolving your issue though, wait a sec, this might sound stupid, but have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Message 4 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 12, 2011

Yep, I have 4 different ones.

Message 5 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Oct 12, 2011

BRIT-KO wrote:

GeoRyu wrote:

Yea, although no need to apologize, I just wanted to mke sure you were aware of that that's all.

Good luck with resolving your issue though, wait a sec, this might sound stupid, but have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Yeah; he said he tried a different HDMI.  What I would try would be and Audio-Video reset.  Turn the PS3 off and wait until it's completely shut down.  Then, turn it on; you'll hear the first beep (when you turn it on), but hold it until you hear a second beep.  Let go, and it'll tell you that it detected an HDMI cable.  There's no reason it should stop working because of an update, which only had to do with 3D compatability really, so it should be fine.

Try the Audio-Video reset and write back on how it goes.  Good Luck!

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 6 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 12, 2011

"I reset it via configured of holding the power button down. Nothing." 

Already tried that. lol

Message 7 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Oct 12, 2011

GeoRyu wrote:

"I reset it via configured of holding the power button down. Nothing." 

Already tried that. lol

Oh lol I didn't see that there.  Why don't you just call support and tell them what's going on.  It could be the port?  Maybe if you're under warranty they'll check it out for you.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 8 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 12, 2011

Naw, I had this system for many years, way out of waranty. I just find it weird that I have a port that works (audio wise) but not video. It's detected by both systems. But what gets me is the "Mode not supported" as in, the HDCP just decided to PMS.

This would show up when I have it directly connected to my TV. My other systems would show either blank screen or "No Signal". Very awkward.

Now based on what I read, I may need to update my TV's firmware to work. So wait a minute; all this time, where it has always worked suddenly I need to update my TV? (Note again: Samsung does not support my TV model so I can't update it.) And these errors didnt start occurring until the last firmware update on the PS3.

That's why I'm practically convinced it's latest firmware (software).

Another reason why I would put claim into this, is that my Step-pop's PS3 is much more recent than mines. He has a Slim 120GB (He got it last Christmas).

Previous experience:

The Slim PS3 is connected wirelessly, he doesn't do multiplayer but singleplayer games. One day, he had downloaded/installed a firmware update. Shortly after that, his system refused to read BD Games. But would read BD Movies slowly, and DVDs/CDs just fine. It would also start making clicking sounds when he ran discs. Sounds like a physical problem, right?

Initially, we thought the drive motor/lens went bad. Maybe faulty, and looked up tech support. But he wanted to toss the system entirely. Im a stubborn tech, so I pursuaded him to let me have it so I can try fixing it myself. And so, I narrowed it down and did a manual re-install/format using flash drives. I re-downloaded a fresh copy of that same firmware.and installed it. Noiw when I started up the system, everything worked.

Everything, worked like it should. The games ran, everything loaded quickly. I tried multiple discs, I re-copied the save files and loaded his games. Everything worked. And all because I re-installed the firmware update on the PS3. My conclusion is that when downloading the update, being wireless, a few packets mustve fallin' off the stream and brought in unfinished files. Causing it to be "Corrupt".

Moral of the story, firmware/software affects physical parts. To where it would even seem like a physical damage/malfunction. A bad video driver for video cards can cause BSODs/Freezes/crashes/and even prevent the hardware to work.

-------------------

And once again, there are many people with my same problem. Right now, Im using Component cables which work fine but the audio isn't really the same. Im hoping a new firmware update will fix this HDMI issue. It could be a HDCP conflict (Software based with encryptions).

Message 9 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes