Fender Bender
4176 posts

Re: Getting you playstation wallet money back from sony.

Aug 20, 2010

LividChihuahua wrote:

ziggurcat wrote something that didn't get laced into my reply, then I replied:

From posts you made right ofter the firmware update went down I still believe your more on the side of sony than of common sense,

why? because people were crying bait-and-switch when it simply wasn't anything close to being bait-and-switch? 

and i honestly don't see sony forcing proprietary media storage devices onto their consumers in order to use the USB slots.  the impact would be far greater than less than 1% of the PS3 user base that actually uses/used other OS.  

really, though, i'm glad you got your money back - there was no logical reason why you had to take the issue to the courts as they should have just refunded your money right away.  

Message 31 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Aug 21, 2010

ziggurcat wrote:

LividChihuahua wrote:

ziggurcat wrote something that didn't get laced into my reply, then I replied:

From posts you made right ofter the firmware update went down I still believe your more on the side of sony than of common sense,

why? because people were crying bait-and-switch when it simply wasn't anything close to being bait-and-switch? 

and i honestly don't see sony forcing proprietary media storage devices onto their consumers in order to use the USB slots.  the impact would be far greater than less than 1% of the PS3 user base that actually uses/used other OS.  

really, though, i'm glad you got your money back - there was no logical reason why you had to take the issue to the courts as they should have just refunded your money right away.  

Yup... And I guess that's where the issue lays when it comes to the removal of OtherOS.

It's become apparent that Sony executed prior to thinking about it's responsibility to it's paying customers. Honestly, such matter should never require legal aid. It's really not about a consumer wasting the government's time. It's irresponsible corporations that are to blame for that time spent.

Sony simply had to prep it's customer service department to deal with such matters. All a consumer should actually do is call Sony and say, "Hey, I chose not to update because I need to keep Linux in my PS3. I have some money in my e-walet. Can you please refund that to me?" and the reps immediate reply should be "Sure, I'll have that processed for you immediately. Expect your check to arrive within 8-12weeks." It's really no big deal. I'm sure Sony is not ENTIRELY out to steal the money, but their disorganized methods make them appear to be doing exactly that.

I won't get into the OtherOS debate, as I'm sure we all know where I stand on that. But I agree, even if for a single penny, you should make sure to get that money back. It's not because of the money, and it's not even just about principle... It's more about sharing the knowledge. Sony needs to know it has a serious issue with how it organizes itself so that it can improve over time. The bad press over OtherOS and the several suits will definitely give a lesson to be learned in the future I'm sure. But, you are also educated your government on which companies are taking advantage of consumers and how. This helps our government when things get out of hand and corporations try to do a bit too much to take advantage of consumers. 

I thank the OP for sharing this information and I hope others here who have complained about their money being frozen will find it helps them get their money back (no matter how small the amount).

Message 32 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Aug 21, 2010
I don't think sony would care if it in convinced a small portion of their user base by no longer allowing usb data transfer because, in actuality it's a very small amount, I mean I don't know a single person who has or has had a ps3 transfer anything more than a background image with it, sure it'll be more than 1%, but it'll probably be less than 10% effected.

of course as with OtherOS 1% effected 80% complain, less than 10% effected 160%, err. 99.99% will complain.

But if they do do it through a firware update, you'll see more people stay, even if they don't use it (well thats a bigger issue than Other OS, and I refused to update even without using it because I wanted to)
Message 33 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
549 posts

Aug 21, 2010

congratz man.

Message 34 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4176 posts

Aug 21, 2010

LividChihuahua wrote:
I don't think sony would care if it in convinced a small portion of their user base by no longer allowing usb data transfer because, in actuality it's a very small amount, I mean I don't know a single person who has or has had a ps3 transfer anything more than a background image with it, sure it'll be more than 1%, but it'll probably be less than 10% effected.

of course as with OtherOS 1% effected 80% complain, less than 10% effected 160%, err. 99.99% will complain.

But if they do do it through a firware update, you'll see more people stay, even if they don't use it (well thats a bigger issue than Other OS, and I refused to update even without using it because I wanted to)

i'm pretty sure a significant portion of users update their PS3s via storage media device (USB) rather than via internet.  

Message 35 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Aug 21, 2010

ziggurcat wrote:

LividChihuahua wrote:

i'm pretty sure a significant portion of users update their PS3s via storage media device (USB) rather than via internet.  

Also, third party manufacturers depend on the USB ports for their hardware to be compatible. As a matter of fact, I just invested $230 in a racing wheel that connects via USB. I also use a keyboard specifically labeled that it's compatible with PS3. Disabling data transfer via USB would affect those products. 

Also Linux users are a VERY small percentage of PS3 owners and the removal of OtherOS caused 7 class action suits. USB being used for data transfer is a MUCH larger percentage. Sony would be crippled by lawsuits from both consumers and third party manufacturers if they removed USB data transfer capability.

Message 36 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Aug 21, 2010
In my experience with the people I know nobody used USB to transfer anything of value, my experience may be skewed knowing mostly programmers, support techs, designers, and geeks, but I still think overall it's less common than anybody would think.

And again Amir29 USB for DATA TRANSFERS, not controllers and the like as blocking those would cause so'y other bigger problems (anybody who bought a racing controller like you (or I would if I could use it now) and anybody with rockband or some similar type game could no longer play).

Mind you I've seen the inside of them ripped apart and there more than just some fancy flash drive, theres a small microchip and some programming inside of it, so banning storage devices would only stop pirating games to external drives, could sony do it, potentially yes, would sony do it, it's unlikely unless they can't fix the problem (that would really limit access to the the "ripped" games over the internet if to upload one you had to rip it to your internal HDD, then remove it, hook it up to you computer, then undo it all when you want to play again, and do that each time you wanted to pirate a new game it would be way to much trouble)

And also, I don't think sony would block all data transfer, simple require a special flash drive for it, a playstation flash drive, that has a special bit of memory or a small chip in it to tell the system it's ok, but again thats assuming they want to block all USB storage devices, and bassed whats really inside the PSailbreak, it's unlikely they'll see that as a solution.
Message 37 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 20, 2010

For all of you dissing the dude for fighting to get HIS money back, think about all the folks that leave $9.08 in their account because it's not worth their time. Sony is making a mint on you folks. And it becomes a matter of principle. That's YOUR money that they're not giving back. I'm glad to see someone standing up to these bullies. I'm new to ps3 and I'm floored at what they are getting away with. I've had my system about a week. It's my own fault though - I should have researched before I bought. I would have gone with the WII.

Message 38 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Nov 20, 2010

knaugle wrote:

For all of you dissing the dude for fighting to get HIS money back, think about all the folks that leave $9.08 in their account because it's not worth their time. Sony is making a mint on you folks. And it becomes a matter of principle. That's YOUR money that they're not giving back. I'm glad to see someone standing up to these bullies. I'm new to ps3 and I'm floored at what they are getting away with. I've had my system about a week. It's my own fault though - I should have researched before I bought. I would have gone with the WII.

It's up to people to not put too much money in their wallet if they aren't sure they want to use it. But it's pretty clear that the money in the wallet isn't real money anymore; it's a different form of currency now and can't be exchanged back.

You act like Sony is the first and/or only place to do this. That'd be news to the many arcades that have swapped dollars and quarters for tokens for decades.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Message 39 of 45 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 23, 2013

hi , i lost my $20 wallet fund without a reason, i only downloaded demos to check out how it would work .

what can i do to get my fund back . thanks

Message 40 of 45 (184 Views)
0 Likes