Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
10 posts

Re: Game freezes with 4.31 firmware update?

Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, I'm really frustrated. I have the original 60 GB fat PS3 (swapped out the HDD for a 250 GB drive years ago) and when my son started playing Modern Warfare 3 it happened when he played multiplayer online.  Then it started freezing more and more often, to the point where it would freeze before I even on my name to sign in.  I rebooted into safe mode and used options 3, 4, and 5 like others have suggested (more and more destructive to data culiminating in a full system restore) and I still have the problem.  It seems ok for a little while and then it randomly freeze.  It's not overheating.  Sometimes it freezes immediately after booting up, other times it will work for an hour or so before freezing.  

There are SO many posts out there about this same problem, but they seem unrelated because the people are saying it started with MW3 or FarCry or Call of Duty Black Ops or something else.  But lots and lots of people are having problems with random freezing, messages that their system is corrupt and needs to be stored, messages that they didn't shut down properly, etc.  

I haven't seen any solutions, however.   I wish Sony would respond to this.  I suspect that it's related to the recent update to 4.31 (I think) but since there's no way to restore to a previous firmware version we seem to be out of luck.   I just wish I knew - with Christmas in a few days, so many of our family's presents are PS3 games and no one will be able to play any of them.  I'd buy a new PS3 if I thought it would fix the problem but I've seen a lot of posts about this with brand new PS3's.  Even if a new one worked I don't want to spend the money if this is going to be fixed with the next patch or something.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 32 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 21, 2012

FYI, the 'fat' PS3s were not all that robust, and will need servicing at one time or another.  The 'slim' models are very reliable and don't have specific problems like the 'fat' models.  Hope that helps.  

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 32 (410 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Same problem. The system freezes while loading any game either online or not. Thought it was a network problem but it won't load a game even if I'm off lline. Very frustrating!

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 32 (342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 24, 2013
to the people who are saying the playstaion slim "SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM" this is for you i have a playstion slim and 4.31 frigged it over!
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 32 (255 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Got my PS3 Slim for Christmas in 2010 or 2011 (can't remember when). It has been running fine until the 4.31 update which is causing it to freeze before the login screen and during games. I am in the UK so it seems the problem is worldwide. I hope there is a 4.32 update soon because having to hold the power button down for 15 secs to restart every time I want to play could cause more problems to my Playstation.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 32 (199 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Im not sure if its from the 4.30 or 4.31 update but my 60GB freezes atleast.....4-6 times a day while playing games but not while watching netflix or doing anything else. Its just **bleep** that it worked perfectly fine before the update, now all i want to do is chuck my controller through my TV everytime im playing BF3 and im powning **bleep** then......BOOM it freezes. Jesus Christ Sony  stay on top of your **bleep** and fix this problem!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 32 (196 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Updated to 4.31 a couple of days back. Since then, the disk games freeze within 2 minutes of playing. BD Movies / CDs, XMB, Network, other applications work just fine. Should have researched before committing to the update.

I guess it's high time Sony brings a rollback feature to their firmware upgrades. I had a perfectly stable system with 4.30. 

Any idea on when the next update would be coming out?

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 32 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
13737 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013
For some reason. My copy of killzone 3 won't work. Took me 3 tries to download update 1.14. And, all I get us a black screen. Nothing shows up even when I press the home button.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 32 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 18, 2013

My copy of GTA IV kept freezing, so I bought a new copy. I still had freezing, so then I updated to 4.31 since it said it fixed freezes. Well, now I can't even get to the XMB. It just freezes when booting. Come on Sony, you're better than this.

Pon-Pon-Pata-Chacka-Don
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 32 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Hello everyone.   4.40 was just released and I have not tried to play a game with it yet to see if the freezing issues have been addressed. Does anyone else have any feedback on the 4.40 update as it relates to freezing?

Thanks!

This message made with 100% recycled pixels.
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 32 (66 Views)
0 Likes