Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 15 2012
By: Syntax2112 First Son 5 posts

Game disk content

9 replies 102 views Edited Dec 15, 2012

Just curious.. I've noticed playing games on the PS3 with downloaded content plays so much more smoothly than a game on disk obviously because it's on the drive. So having said this, if I own a legally purchased game for PS3, can I copy it to the drive and play it without getting slapped with any kinda of illegal backlash ?

Message 1 of 10 (102 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6539 posts

Re: Game disk content

Dec 15, 2012

You can give it a try, but it may be hardcoded in the game software that it reads from the disk.  Plus, I haven't found how to copy the contents of a game disk to the HDD.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 2 of 10 (97 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 15, 2012

There are small programs out there to do it with.

Message 3 of 10 (93 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6539 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Programs that run on the PS3?  Cool.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 4 of 10 (91 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Called multiMAN for PS3.

Message 5 of 10 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15608 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Syntax2112 wrote:

Just curious.. I've noticed playing games on the PS3 with downloaded content plays so much more smoothly than a game on disk obviously because it's on the drive. So having said this, if I own a legally purchased game for PS3, can I copy it to the drive and play it without getting slapped with any kinda of illegal backlash ?

The correct answer is no. The PS3 system software does not allow PS3 games on Blu-ray to be copied to the PS3 hard disk to decrease load times. The game developers can, and do, copy parts of the game to the PS3 Game Data Utility in order to load it from the hard disk drive instead of the Blu-ray disk; but there is no legitimate way to copy the entire game to the hard disk drive.  There really should not be any need to do so,  I'm not sure what games you are playing, or what you mean by "so much more smoothly".  Moving the game's files to faster media will decrease load times, but most games load content when they are idle (you aren't using the controller), so the load times don't matter much. A game with long load times from Blu-ray disk would still have noticeable load times even if it was installed on hard disk, which people that purchase the Playstation Store versions of the games already know (and then ask if they can install an SSD in their PS3).

MultiMAN doesn't run on authorized PS3 System software, it replaces it; so any use of it is a violation of the PS3 firmware license agreement. Sony can, and will, ban your PS3 from ever accessing PSN if the company becomes aware that you are running unauthorized System software.  You won't be able to use PSN while running multiMAN anyway.  You probably wouldn't be able to install multiMAN in the first place.  The System version number of unauthorized System software (also called homebrew or custom firmware) is usually lower than the version of the current official System software, and the PS3 firmware won't allow installation of System software whose version number is lower than the last version installed on that PS3. Homebrew is mostly used on PS3s that have been running it for years, and never use official System software; or PS3s that have been physically modified to run unauthorized firmware. Even if you find a multiMAN image that has a high enough version number to install, you would be stuck running it until Sony releases a System update with a higher version number; which means that you can't access PSN from the PS3 until then.  The homebrew sites on the web tend not to mention a lot of this. Most people don't think it is worth it just to reduce load times below what the game was designed to have.  

GKP
Message 6 of 10 (85 Views)
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 18, 2012

Software was loaded, game copied and plays perfectly online :smileyhappy:

Smoothly !

Games plays much smoother running off the HDD than they do off the disk. When your running across a map, at times you actually have to wait until the content is read off the disk for it to be shown on the screen.

Game content on the HHD. No wait times runs smooth as a babies booty :smileyhappy:

Appearently it's not illegal to copy your purchased games to the PS3 HDD.

Message 7 of 10 (68 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Actually I have had

Syntax2112 wrote:

a few games that ask me if I wish to pre-install major game data such as tracks and other major components. One game as a matter of fact installed 8GB of primary data (Gran Turismo 5) .

Message 8 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Yep.

Message 9 of 10 (62 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15608 posts

Dec 18, 2012

b407260 wrote:

Actually I have had

Syntax2112 wrote:

a few games that ask me if I wish to pre-install major game data such as tracks and other major components. One game as a matter of fact installed 8GB of primary data (Gran Turismo 5) .

As I said, the game developer can copy as much of the game's data to the hard disk as it wants to, either optionally, or without asking you.  You don't have the ability to copy PS3 games to the hard disk, beyond whatever data the game is programmed to install on the hard disk. 

GKP
Message 10 of 10 (60 Views)
0 Likes