Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 03 2013
By: taterman First Son 17 posts

Fix or Abandon?

10 replies 166 views Edited Mar 3, 2013

Hey PS Community,

I have a launch model PS3, originally 60GB, upgraded to 320GB HDD, and recently got the YLOD for the second time while I was playing Skyrim.  I was walking around, the music halted and the screen completely seized up, followed by the PS3 turning itself off.  I tried turning it back on and it gave me the YLOD.  It happened in March of 2011, and now it happened again a week or two ago.  Took it to a local repair shop, and they told me the GPU was "Warped."  Now, my PS3 has about 200-300 dollars worth of downloaded content on the hard drive, as well as my precious save data.  I'm wondering what to do from here, here are the three scenarios i'd be willing to try:

-Take it to the shop that fixed it before and had it working for two more years, see if they can fix it again.

-Trade in all of my PS3 games and accessories for credit towards a PS4 for when it comes out

-Work to buy a new slim... But my question here is would I be able to put my old hard drive in the slim in order to get all my save data back?  If not, is there a way I could transfer it over?

Any help you guys could give me with this decision would be much appreciated.

--Taterman

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Fix or Abandon?

Mar 3, 2013

I heard the PS4 is gonna be somewhere around $1,000, though i'm not really sure if thats true yet. PSN saves all of your onlline data, such as ranks and unlocks on MW2 so the only thing you'd need to transfer was your actual game saves. I'd say the Slim, since your current PS3 is bound to break down again in another 2 years or so and the PS4 is probably gonna be higher price, being a newer system. Is it possible to get your save data onto a flash drive?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (152 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 3, 2013

I would assume not, unless I could put the old HDD in the new slim, but I dont know how to do that.  I believe it was $80 to fix the first time. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5367 posts

Mar 3, 2013

Can't move the HDD over and recover everything.  HDD is tied to the console.  If your saved games have not been backed up you're out of luck unless you can get the console working long enough to perform a backup.

Your donwloaded content can be downloaded again from the PSN store.  All you have to do is sign in using the same PSN ID that was used to purchase the downloads.

Given that the PS4 is months and months away, barring any production delays, I'd go for a repair attempt, and if it works do a backup every week or two.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2782 posts

Mar 4, 2013
I say get it fixed for as cheap as possible, buy a slim then do a data transfer of everything that's on your HDD to the new slim.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13592 posts

Mar 4, 2013

The fact that your PS3 lasted two years the last time that it was fixed, does not mean that if you pay to fix it again, then you will get another two years.  The PS3's components have two more years of wear, and Sony's experience has been that the more times you try to fix a 60GB; the less time the repairs last.  That is especially the case if you keep the same main board, which is necessary in order to recover any of the hard disk data.

Your downloaded content, as long as it isn't videos, is not an issue. You will be able to download all of that to any other PS3 that you acquire in the future.  The save data is another matter.  If you have not been making backups of that, then abandoning your current PS3 is not an option unless you want to abandon the save data also.  There is no way to recover any of it without repairing your current console.

Trading in your PS3 games and accessories towards credit for a PS4 is basically the same as "get rid of my PS3 and get an XBox 720 or a WiiU).  The PS4 will have no PS3 backward compatibility at launch, will not be able to run any of your Playstation Store content (not even PS1 Classics and Minis), and will have no use for any of your save data.  It is as different from the PS3, as the XBox 360 or the WiiU is.

You can put your old hard drive into a new slim, but there is little point in doing that.  The new PS3 won't use the drive from the old PS3 until it formats it, and that will delete all of the data on the drive.  The only way to get your save data back is to fix the console that you have, without replacing the main board.  You just need to get it to work long enough to make a backup of the hard disk drive, or to copy the save data to a USB storage device or Playstation Plus online storage.   

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 4, 2013

i would look into www.endlesselectronics.org as they may be you better option for a real repair because somebody saying you GPU is actually warped has not a clut to what they are talking about,the board may have someslight warping but not the GPU,if that was the case your case to the ps3 would have melted down..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 7, 2013

Forgot to add this to my initial post, and just remembered today when I tried (in vain) to turn it back on.  I couldn't hear the fan at all.  I even had it turned on and I put it up to my ear and didn't hear anything.  Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13592 posts

Mar 8, 2013

It probably does not matter now.  The fan is software controlled, so if the main board isn't functioning, then you may have no fan either.  If the fan failed first, and you didn't notice, then the PS3 would overheat quickly, and that may have been the cause of the YLOD.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 12, 2013

Hey again, don't mean to bump my own topic, but I am hearing about the hairdryer trick... Worth a shot?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (51 Views)
0 Likes