Dec 23 2012
By: mws_1984 Monster Hunter 39 posts

Decent internet cable?

4 replies 66 views Edited Dec 23, 2012

What is a decent brand of cable to run from my router to my PS3. I'm probably gonna need a long one. Haven't measured it yet, but finding my router doesn't give enough signal to the other side of the house. So gonna just hard wire it. Want something that is gonna last but of course not overly expensive. Any recommendations? 

Message 1 of 5 (66 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21681 posts

Re: Decent internet cable?

Dec 23, 2012

You're not likely to find off-the-shelf cables of any brand that are more than 50' or maybe 100' at most.  Longer than that, you usually use cable on a roll, and install connectors on it after you run the cable. You need special tools for that. The brand doesn't really matter.  It is a commodity.  Type Cat5e cable is fine for Internet connectivity, but Cat6e cable is standard now for new construction.  

GKP
Message 2 of 5 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2012

@ mws_1984,

Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

Regardles who they are, call them and let them know you're planning to re-route your devices. Most ISPs, will provide the tools needed to do that and/or even do the re-routing for you btw.

or

...follow the advice given from gkpama00, as that info is correct.

*Edit:  Also, make sure the 'new location' is not near your garage (if you have one); that'll digress the connection you're hoping for. One more thing, how many devices are using the functions of your router?

Message 3 of 5 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Dec 25, 2012
I have Comcast as an ISP so I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to charge me for it. And that's not an option. Can't afford for a service call.

I was planning to just get a regular one like you could find in the store. Probably just get the longest available. I've yet to run a string between the points to try to get an idea of how far it is.
I was pretty much going to just leave it hooked up to my PS3 but reel in the end that goes to the router.
Having it left out would leave it running along 3 doorways and the wife doesn't like that. Plus it would look bad anyways with wires all along the floor. I rent so no option to put it under the rug.
I also wonder if I could just run it from my router down the hole where the internet connection goes in my office and string it along the basement and try my luck at finding the hole where the cable wire goes to the Living Room TV.
Message 4 of 5 (38 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18802 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 25, 2012

mws_1984 wrote:
I have Comcast as an ISP so I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to charge me for it. And that's not an option. Can't afford for a service call.

I was planning to just get a regular one like you could find in the store. Probably just get the longest available. I've yet to run a string between the points to try to get an idea of how far it is.
I was pretty much going to just leave it hooked up to my PS3 but reel in the end that goes to the router.
Having it left out would leave it running along 3 doorways and the wife doesn't like that. Plus it would look bad anyways with wires all along the floor. I rent so no option to put it under the rug.
I also wonder if I could just run it from my router down the hole where the internet connection goes in my office and string it along the basement and try my luck at finding the hole where the cable wire goes to the Living Room TV.

Yeah, comcast does like to charge for EVERYTHING. Try talking directly to a comcast technician instead of calling it in. You can always do it yourself; you've the will so why not go for it.

You can also look into the powerline/homeplug adapters that allow you to extend your network using your home electrical wiring While it shouldn't make much of a difference, I recommend you stick to your routers brand. This is for the sake of dealing with the same user interface.

D-Link
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=dlink powerline&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=M...

Cisco/LinkSys
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=linksys powerline&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid...

ASUS
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ASUS powerline&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mo...

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 5 (34 Views)
0 Likes