Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 31 2012
By: PeasantKing First Son 6 posts

Data Transfer from 320gb Slim to 500gb Superslim -- Why so Slow?

9 replies 1105 views Edited Oct 31, 2012

Just got a 500gb  Superslim PS3 bundled with Assassin's Creed III yesterday and was excited to transfer my profiles and files as soon as possible. I heard it takes a while. I deleted a bunch of download games and install data I figured I could just redownload later at my leisure. Jeez, is this slow!

It took probably twenty minutes before it even gave me an estimate how long the transfer would take. 6 hours was the ETA, which seems like a lot to just move some 200 gb of data, but whatever. I started it at about 7:30 yesterday evening. At about 11:00pm, I think it was at about 40%.

Right now it is 5:00pm EST and it is only at 89%. Holy crap, what is taking so long? Why in the world does it take 20+ hours just to transfer the stuff over? What ever happened to 6 hours? I'm so mad I can't play ACIII now because I started this stupid thing going.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (1,105 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
638 posts

Re: Data Transfer from 320gb Slim to 500gb Superslim -- Why so Slow?

Oct 31, 2012

bear with me...it's only 11% left to complete the data transfer. 

If I were you, I'd leave it there as it is until it's fully completed. After this, rest the PS3 for 1 whole day.  

I hope you'll be able to make it dude ! 

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (1,094 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Oct 31, 2012

Thanks. It's 6:00 now and it has only gone from 89% to 92%. It's startin' to really slow down now, but there is no way I'm cancelling this. At this point, I'm wondering if 24 hours is too soon to hope for this thing to get finished.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (1,089 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2012

You would think that with the PS3 having a Gigabit ethernet adapter, the transfer process would take quite a bit shorter time, but the issue is the software itself that performs the transfer process (not necessarily the OS)

Patience is a virtue

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (1,071 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
638 posts

Nov 1, 2012
So, how did it go PeasantKing ?
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (1,065 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 1, 2012

Well, I'm at about the 26-hour mark now. It's been stuck at 93% for a couple hours, all while estimating a constant 1 hour 21 minute wait. If it takes about 3 hours to go from 0-40%, how on earth can it go for 2 straight hours without  visible progress?

Either way, there's no way I'm stopping now. I guess I'll just have to be without my PS3 for a day and a half. I had no idea it was this slow! I guess that will just make it that much sweeter when I get to finally use the new Superslim!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (1,061 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Nov 1, 2012

It might just be that the 320Gb Slim has a lot of data errors and while performing the transfer is trying to recover the data as it is called up for the transfer.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (1,050 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 2, 2012

I forgot to reply once it finally finished. The final time to complete the transfer was 42 hours. Wow, a lot longer than projected. But now I'm happy I've got my Superslim!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (965 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 22, 2013

After my 120 GB Slim got overheated I just bought a 'superslim' and start to transfer the data from my old PS3 with ethernet cable. The display of transfer already appeared on both console, and approximate finished time is 33 min, but the bar WON'T FILL! I ask my friend that's it is okay to leave it untill 15 hours because his friend do the same. But when I looking the answer over the internet it is said that the transfer only needed one and a half or even less hour to take and mine has OVER THAN ONE HOUR! Please help: should I turned it off or continue? Because I'm gonna leave it till tommorow but I'm afraid it still not tranfer the data.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (387 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16752 posts

Aug 22, 2013

Q_alfarozic wrote:

After my 120 GB Slim got overheated I just bought a 'superslim' and start to transfer the data from my old PS3 with ethernet cable. The display of transfer already appeared on both console, and approximate finished time is 33 min, but the bar WON'T FILL! I ask my friend that's it is okay to leave it untill 15 hours because his friend do the same. But when I looking the answer over the internet it is said that the transfer only needed one and a half or even less hour to take and mine has OVER THAN ONE HOUR! Please help: should I turned it off or continue? Because I'm gonna leave it till tommorow but I'm afraid it still not tranfer the data.

You did a search for a relevant thread. That's good. Did you read the other replies?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (378 Views)
0 Likes